If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Serious suggestion,

Dale Gibson Arena

Coached our only basketball national championship in 1980. Started our Sports Management program for all practical purposes. Great man. Great professor.

That would be my vote.
That's a great idea. I would love something like that.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I wish we had people in our past athletic history - or school history even - that were significant enough to name some of the new buildings after. Having buildings named gives them an elevated, classier feel. That said, im all in on not naming them after major donors or corporate sponsors unless we have to.
I think it comes with time. We will get there. RMK Is laying those kinds of roots. We are just starting to get Hall of Fame names at the school that we all recognize. We are really just scratching the surface of Legacy athletes at LU. These things happen in generations. The first graduating class was tiny compared to the thousands that are graduating now. In 25 years, there will be tens of thousands of high schoolers with legacy ties to LU. There just aren't relatively that many now.
There are some people out there who are qualified. The first one that comes to mind is Al Worthington. For some reason, when we built the new baseball stadium, we didn't keep the Worthington Stadium name. There were quite a few former players who were not happy about that decision.
I have always said, that if I won the lottery, the first thing I would do, is buy the naming rights, assuming they are for sale, and name the baseball stadium/field for him. One of the best men one could ever meet. He also did much more, with much less, than anyone since.
Nothing against anyone else mentioned, but they are just not in the same stratosphere as Coach W.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I wish we had people in our past athletic history - or school history even - that were significant enough to name some of the new buildings after. Having buildings named gives them an elevated, classier feel. That said, im all in on not naming them after major donors or corporate sponsors unless we have to.
I think it comes with time. We will get there. RMK Is laying those kinds of roots. We are just starting to get Hall of Fame names at the school that we all recognize. We are really just scratching the surface of Legacy athletes at LU. These things happen in generations. The first graduating class was tiny compared to the thousands that are graduating now. In 25 years, there will be tens of thousands of high schoolers with legacy ties to LU. There just aren't relatively that many now.
There are some people out there who are qualified. The first one that comes to mind is Al Worthington. For some reason, when we built the new baseball stadium, we didn't keep the Worthington Stadium name. There were quite a few former players who were not happy about that decision.
I have always said, that if I won the lottery, the first thing I would do, is buy the naming rights, assuming they are for sale, and name the baseball stadium/field for him. One of the best men one could ever meet. He also did much more, with much less, than anyone since.
Nothing against anyone else mentioned, but they are just not in the same stratosphere as Coach W.
I could not agree more. :clapping
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
What was the reasoning behind not carrying over the name? I'm not sure if I ever read any kind of explanation.

I guess that is kind of the liberty way.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:What was the reasoning behind not carrying over the name? I'm not sure if I ever read any kind of explanation.

I guess that is kind of the liberty way.
I am not certain. I heard that they wanted to sell the naming rights (at least that was what the previous AD was reported as saying). Never heard an official explanation either.
By Jonathan Carone
I’d love baseball to go back to being called Worthington.

And I agree these things take time. My “I wish” statement came from a place of knowing we don’t have that tradition yet.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Serious suggestion,

Dale Gibson Arena

Coached our only basketball national championship in 1980. Started our Sports Management program for all practical purposes. Great man. Great professor.

That would be my vote.
That's a great idea. I would love something like that.
I’d vote for that. Talk about thing in all the Era’s
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I get you guys loved him as a prof, but seriously ....

Count me among those who really would love to see Coach Worthington honored once again. I'd even like to see Coach Richardson get some love somewhere in the ballpark such as the Bobby Richardson Clubhouse. But perhaps that is just me waxing nostalgic.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I get you guys loved him as a prof, but seriously ....

Count me among those who really would love to see Coach Worthington honored once again. I'd even like to see Coach Richardson get some love somewhere in the ballpark such as the Bobby Richardson Clubhouse. But perhaps that is just me waxing nostalgic.
Seriously. Why not? Name another coach you could put on there?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:I get you guys loved him as a prof, but seriously ....

Seriously. Why not? Name another coach you could put on there?
I already did.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Dale Gibson is really smart and a fine Christian phys-ed professor. He took the job as HC of the basketball team somewhat reluctantly following the one year failed Skeeter Swift experiment. He coached our basketball team for 3 years and had a record of 48-46. Yes, we won the NCCAA championship and went 28-11 his second year. Then Carl Hess (Dan Manley recruit) and Ed Vickers (Skeeter Swift recruit) graduated, and we went 5-19, after which Dale decided to go back to the classroom and we hired this baby-faced 26 year old guy from Indiana.

If they want to name a Physical Education building after someone, Dale would be a great choice, although so would David Horton, Linda Farver, and either Bob or Brenda Bonhiem.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Dale Gibson is really smart and a fine Christian phys-ed professor. He took the job as HC of the basketball team somewhat reluctantly following the one year failed Skeeter Swift experiment. He coached our basketball team for 3 years and had a record of 48-46. Yes, we won the NCCAA championship and went 28-11 his second year. Then Carl Hess (Dan Manley recruit) and Ed Vickers (Skeeter Swift recruit) graduated, and we went 5-19, after which Dale decided to go back to the classroom and we hired this baby-faced 26 year old guy from Indiana.

If they want to name a Physical Education building after someone, Dale would be a great choice, although so would David Horton, Linda Farver, and either Bob or Brenda Bonhiem.
He wasn’t a Phys Ed instructor
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:Dale Gibson is really smart and a fine Christian phys-ed professor. He took the job as HC of the basketball team somewhat reluctantly following the one year failed Skeeter Swift experiment. He coached our basketball team for 3 years and had a record of 48-46. Yes, we won the NCCAA championship and went 28-11 his second year. Then Carl Hess (Dan Manley recruit) and Ed Vickers (Skeeter Swift recruit) graduated, and we went 5-19, after which Dale decided to go back to the classroom and we hired this baby-faced 26 year old guy from Indiana.

He wasn’t a Phys Ed instructor
He was when I knew him, before he started the Sport Management program, but yes, if there is ever a separate facility for Sport Management, that is the building that should be named after him.

I actually didn't know until googling to verify my facts that he left Liberty to be a professor at Tusculum. I don't know if he is still there or retired. I suspect he would be pushing 80 by now.
Last edited by olldflame on March 22nd, 2018, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If anything, Carey Green Court is the most deserving of the options.
Hard to argue with that based on accomplishment, and he certainly represents Liberty and our Lord with class and dignity, but there is a reason his name hasn't come up before now. While for a few years our WBB program came fairly close to matching the fan interest of MBB it never really did, and for the most part it has been an afterthought to most LU fans, as it pretty much is now. If you doubt me, check out the WBB forum here.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Carey Green Court at Purple Haize Center

Perfect.

World's better than Liberty Arena.
Second!
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:If anything, Carey Green Court is the most deserving of the options.
Hard to argue with that based on accomplishment, and he certainly represents Liberty and our Lord with class and dignity, but there is a reason his name hasn't come up before now. While for a few years our WBB program came fairly close to matching the fan interest of MBB it never really did, and for the most part it has been an afterthought to most LU fans, as it pretty much is now. If you doubt me, check out the WBB forum here.
Just because the fans don’t care isn’t a reason to not honor the success. Tolsma had the old indoor track named after him even though fan interest wasn’t there.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Just because the fans don’t care isn’t a reason to not honor the success. Tolsma had the old indoor track named after him even though fan interest wasn’t there.
Tolsma coaches both the men's and women's teams. I'm not saying it is right, but I will be surprised if we name a facility which is shared by men and women after a women's coach. In the case of Coach Green I would have zero problems with it, I just don't expect to see it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My dream "naming scenario"

1. Jeff Meyer Court at the Liberty Vines Center
To be announced when he is inducted into the HOF

2. Carey Green Court at Liberty Arena
We could drop that on him when he retires.

3. Ritchie McKay Arena
In about 15 years, with 400 plus wins (at Liberty) and an NCAA championship on his resume'. 8)
By cruzan_flame13
olldflame wrote:My dream "naming scenario"

3. Ritchie McKay Arena
In about 15 years, with 400 plus wins (at Liberty) and an NCAA championship on his resume'. 8)
I'm liking the optimism there! Seems like that could be a possibility, but it would be great if that will happen earlier, say in 12 years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
olldflame wrote:My dream "naming scenario"

3. Ritchie McKay Arena
I'm liking the optimism there! Seems like that could be a possibility, but it would be great if that will happen earlier, say in 12 years.
If we stay in the BSC, I would expect 400 wins in less than 15 more years (20 total). Move to a tougher conference, and it could take longer. The NCAA championship is certainly optimistic, but if Coastal Baseball can do it, why not? It takes more elite players to win in baseball than it would in basketball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have not seen a name mentioned that I think will become a reality.
We need a "nobody cares what you think" emoji. :roll:

This discussion is not about what we think WILL happen. Nobody knows that, least of all you. It's about what we think SHOULD happen, or would like to see happen.

Correction: There is ONE person who has posted on this thread who kinda sorta knows, because he could MAKE it happen. 8)
UTEP

Home or away?

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defea[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]