If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:"Ends Up" - Plays for Arizona state at some point.
Could happen, but he would have to be really impressive at the NAIA level to get a shot like that, and of course he would need to sit a year if he transferred after this season (unless they change the rule, which is being seriously considered). He could avoid that by playing 2 years at Master's and graduating early, but having transferred and changed majors, that is unlikely. Hurley is going after studs at ASU. He's had a hard time keeping them around and out of trouble though.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Could happen, but he would have to be really impressive at the NAIA level to get a shot like that, and of course he would need to sit a year if he transferred after this season (unless they change the rule, which is being seriously considered). He could avoid that by playing 2 years at Master's and graduating early, but having transferred and changed majors, that is unlikely. Hurley is going after studs at ASU. He's had a hard time keeping them around and out of trouble though.
If I was a teenager and walked ASU's campus, I'd sign immediately The scenery is amazing
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:
If I was a teenager and walked ASU's campus, I'd sign immediately The scenery is amazing
I don't think the issue would be whether Brock wanted to go to ASU, especially with his sister Macy being an asst. coach on the volleyball team and it being close to home. The issue would be whether Hurley would offer him a scholarship. He didn't have offers from high major teams out of HS, and it's unlikely what he did his year at LU would change that. He would need to light it up for Master's and open some eyes, which certainly could happen. I expect he will get the Curry/Rowsey green light there.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Popped by VCU's Black and Gold scrimmage last Saturday ... I think Rhoades wants to commit to getting back to a more full-havoc style. Wade used it in fits and spurts but not consistently. Lots of 3/4-court press and transition offense. Tillman didn't play and had a boot on his foot. No idea if he'll go Thursday. Was pretty impressed with Khris Lane, the Longwood transfer. Will probably be a big piece. They'll have a couple of freshmen contribute, especially Marcus Santos-Silva, who is a load. They don't have much outside shooting. That's my Rams intel from a limited sample, anyway.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Outstanding interview with RMK by sportsmatters at the BSC basketball media day. Almost 20 minutes and well worth the time for any Liberty basketball fan.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I can't say that I'm surprised although I would've picked us 2nd.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Scottie play on Thursday. From what I've heard he's one of the better (impactful) players on the team. I also heard that we won't miss Brock with the way Keegan is developing.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I've been around the team a lot the past several weeks working on preseason coverage. On Friday, we will be starting a special countdown to tipoff with video interviews with every player on the roster, releasing 1 each day for the next two weeks until the season gets started on November 10th. Anyways, here are my thoughts on the guys and the team:

Kemrite - He's so relaxed having been in the program for so long. He's comfortable in who he is, and he's a great team leader

Cabbil - I'm really looking forward to big things from him this season. He's put on close to 20 pounds since he arrived on campus, and you can just sense the confidence he has in his game at this point of his career.

Georgie - Calm, cool, and collected, as we all know. He doesn't get rattled. Coach McKay compares him to London Perrantes.

Myo - He's worked all offseason on his conditioning, and he is much more confident in his abilities and role with the team than he was a year ago this time.

Homesley - I swear he gets taller every time I see him. He's started practicing with the team, and hopefully he will be a full go by conference play if not sooner. It sounds like the coaching staff is really easing him into the season.

Scottie - He's the real deal. I expect him to start at center from day 1, and he will provide an interior presence this program has lacked for the last year or two.

Williams - My first reaction is he's long. Most of his minutes are going to come at the 4 or 5 this season. He's very versatile and loves to attack the basket from the perimeter.

McDowell - The coaches can't stop raving about this guy. Incredibly high basketball IQ, terrific shooter, makes all the right plays. He will make an impact this season, and he could be the team's best player in a couple years. He also loves yoga.

Cuffee - Great ballhandler, very versatile, and can impact the game in a variety of ways.

The team is much deeper, those 9 mentioned will play, and I didn't even mention Ezra Talbert. Lots of flexibility on the team with numerous lineup possibilities. My biggest concern is point guard. Obviously, Georgie and Lovell will get all of the minutes, but what happens if one of them goes down?

I can't wait for the season to start, we should be better and deeper than last year. We'll see how that translates to the W/L column.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
My not-so-bold prediction is that we will NOT finish last in the nation in offensive rebounding again with this roster, even though it will continue to be a low priority due to the emphasis of getting back in the pack line rather than crashing the boards.

You didn't name a starting lineup, but it seems only one position is in question. Do you think Myo will get the nod at PF to start the year? I think it will eventually be Homesley, but I expect him to be coming off the bench for a while. Having Myo and Scotty both in there will make us way more physical than any of Ritchie's previous teams here have been.

I'm really not too worried about PG. Both Georgie and Lovell have proven they can play major minutes if necessary, and will do so if one or the other goes down. I think Cuffee and/or Farquar can step in for a few minutes a game and actually provide a spark.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I did note realize Caleb H. was so far away from being full time player.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
No First Team nominations. This team is very deep, but we do not have any elite players yet. Brock and J. Dawson both had that potential, and are gone. Will be imperative that someone step up this year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:No First Team nominations. This team is very deep, but we do not have any elite players yet. Brock and J. Dawson both had that potential, and are gone. Will be imperative that someone step up this year.
If Caleb Homesley had not been injured last year, he is that guy. A better player than either Gardner or Dawson, and would likely have set himself up to be on this preseason first team the way he was playing. The way Ritchie talks, he is good to go. They are just being cautious in easing him into full time status.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]