If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
Class: Junior
Position: G
Height: 6-5
Weight: 190

2006-07 Note: Brewington will not be eligible to compete until the Flames’ December 16th game at St. Francis (Pa.) due to NCAA transfer rules

averaged 13.1 points per game as a sophomore in 2004-05, named to the preseason NIT All-Tournament team, named to second team all BIG EAST squad, born with 60% hearing loss … wife is Gabrielle … the couple has one child, Malakai Josiah,
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
Since We discussed Tyler Baker this is the one i was waiting for... What will D. Brew Bring? he will bring a Big South Championship and possibly the missing piece that could mean the first big south team to make it past the first round of the tourny! ok, so im a little ahead of myself, but hes the kind of player that could to it. A great player and a great team-mate. Always picks the other players up on the floor, can play the 1 2 or 3, can play great defense as well, but only time will tell. GREAT PICK UP COACH!
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
BREW is the man! his game is so smooth and long. his legnth allows him to get into the paint anytime he wishes. he has a nice jumpshot, and good ball handling. is capable of playing point guard at 6'5. has a high basketball IQ, very good knowledge of the game. since he has his disability he is very aware on the court. BIG TIME PLAYER from the big east, and will dominate the big south!!!
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
he may bring experience but it will take a lot to win the first round of the NCAA tournament. heck we need to win the big south tournament first before thinking about the NCAA's
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Yes, and the Big South tournament has been Winthrop's party nearly every year for the past several years
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Last year we almost didn't even make it to the Big South tournament. We need to win more than 7 games this year.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
well actually, everyone gets into the tourny this year. but back to brew... with his great scoring ability and ability to draw the D to him and dish, he should help out players like smitty get buckets. the defense will be focused on stopping dwight and blair which means that smitty should have an average or bad defender on him. dwight just being on the court will help us out alot. him coming in late also helps some of our guys that won't see as much playing time in the second semester get some minutes early in the year. those guys will then have some experience from teams like OU, and help us off the bench later in the year.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I think he's going to have to realize first-of-all that this is LBs team and he's a supporting role for Larry.

If he can't do that, it's going to be a long year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
In the words of the great former Chairman of the National Reserve (Anyone remember him?) let us not get sucked into "Irrational Exuberance". We won 7 games last year, which indicates we are/were more then "1 player away". There is no doubting he could be a special player for us. A word of caution. Big Time D1 transfers don't always take that level of game to their new "lower" division school. (Seriously, Big E to Big South IS a step down) From personal experience, played with a UT transfer and against an Illini transfer. They were good, but neither took their teams to the "Promised Land" (although it did cost playing time for someone very close to me!!) The poster who said "This is LB's team" is dead on correct. How will he respond to that? Will his NBA aspiration become a detrement to the team?
What WILL He bring: Excitment, Meat in the Seats, Points, and some Exposure. Hopefully, a BSC Tourney and/or Reg season championship
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
having seen Brew play a lot I can say that he does things on the court that even LB can't do because of his size and length. I am surprised at the level of intensity he has on D. He is tough, talented and extremely coachable. The last part was a questionmark in my mind but he seems to have answered that question correctly. His skill set will make Liberty a better team for sure but if they are gonna compete, they will need BIG help from Alex McLean, Armon Jones and Tyler Baker. The big south is dominated by perimeter players and everyone seems to have a few guys that are very good at those positions. The differentiator for Wintrhop or even Liberty when we won in 2004 was inside play. Sneed and Sarchet were not Nwoso and Aluma but they provided post defense, intesity, work ethic and they set the tone. No one practiced as hard as Sneed his senior year. Even when he was coming off the bench it was obvious he was the leader of the team. Leadership is gonna be important for this team. It takes a lot of components to become a champion and Liberty is gathering those pieces. Lets hope they can put it all together as the season progresses. As far as this being Larry's team? Well Brew seems very unselfish as a player and so is Larry. It can be both of theirs if they play like they have been practicing. Also remember, Wintrhop is not head and shoulders above everyone in the big south. They won on a last second shot last year and lost to 8th seeded Liberty on the road. DO NOT assume they will win it all like the rest of America is. Plus losing James Shuler is gonna affect Winthrop. Can't wait to throw it up next weekend to see how we look (Brew won't be out there though).
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I expect DB to be our 2nd scorer, and a great team player. We definitely need some more scoring out there with LB.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
JC, Brew may even be your #1 option. I know this is Larry's team but Brew will have the ball 1st as the PG. He is tough to guard one on one as is LB.
By LUFlamer09
Registration Days Posts
DBrew is a baller. He just knows how to play basketball and put the ball in the net. He's a threat from anywhere on the floor and can post up smaller guards. I look for coach to use him very creativly, and having him on the floor will just make the team that much more dangerous. The one and only thing I'm worried about is him forcing too many 3 balls. I know he can stroke it, especially when he gets hot(no one can stop him), but he can get to the rim easily and needs to take advantage of that ability. His long arms and athleticism will come in handy on the defensive side of the ball as well. When he becomes elligable, we're going to be Big South contenders.
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
LUFlamer09 wrote:DBrew is a baller. He just knows how to play basketball and put the ball in the net. He's a threat from anywhere on the floor and can post up smaller guards. I look for coach to use him very creativly, and having him on the floor will just make the team that much more dangerous. The one and only thing I'm worried about is him forcing too many 3 balls. I know he can stroke it, especially when he gets hot(no one can stop him), but he can get to the rim easily and needs to take advantage of that ability. His long arms and athleticism will come in handy on the defensive side of the ball as well. When he becomes elligable, we're going to be Big South contenders.
I would say everything u said is correct except being worried about him "forcing" the 3 ball... Brew doesnt really force anything, he would rather take it to the rack. If youre worried about him forcing something it should be in the lane, but he WILL draw the foul, he wont force it though.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]