If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
The answer to the question of who is the best to never play at LU is probably Darren Hall :wink: Am I right? Do I win something?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Also I have to correct 1 thing Killenem said. We had great attendence in the mid to late 90's but we never quite AVERAGED 7500-9000. We definitely had nights when that was the case and in State schools like VCU, Radford and VA Tech brought a sell out or close to it. I think the average was somewhere around 5-6 K back then. I think they would love, love, love to have those types of numbers again this season. Winning and marketing will do that. I expect Jeff Barber to get attendance up in the Vines right away.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR - Has there been a coaching change already? I did not know Mr B had taken the reigns of the Men's squad? :D
Marketing will get people in the door, winning will keep people coming back. We are at the point in this regime that winning is what will spark atendance increase. If we do that numbers will increas. THEN it is a matter of how we treat them once they are here.
As for you other point, look where you had the "sell outs". In state schools / schools people have heard of. Wouldn't it be nice to play VCU, Richmond, ODU, Bill/Mary and the gang on an annual basis? Considering we are losing recruits to these schools, it would be nice to go head to head with them don't you think?

BTW, have you talked to the guy about that thing yet?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
yes I have. That thing is a no go. I thought I told you. Anyway, I agree with you about the teams that drew the crowds. We def. need to play more in state schools like JMU, GMU, ODU WM, etc. Scheduling home and homes with teams like that can be tough though. I think Liberty's game day management has improved so far for Football. I don't get the true fan experience as a media member in the Vines but I will get to be a fan for the Winthrop game and the Chuck So games second semester. I do hear Smoothie's thoughts about the Vines on topics such as condition of the seats and consession stands open or not open etc. I expect a marked improvement in the quality of the game day experience for the fans. Fan retention will be a condition of how the team is playing for sure but you are right about how we treat them once they are hear as well. I think Liberty (IMO) should reach out to the black community more esp. for hoops. Start winning some of those guys in the YMCA and the Barber shops over and we could influence a whole different sect within the Lynchburg community. I would do my part in the Barber (get it Barber)shop but I don't need to go there anymore becuase I SHAVE my head myself!!!!! If I said it once I said it a thousand times. I'm not bald. :P
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
well, we could always post it on YouTube!!!
I agree with reaching out to the "black" community. Can't see it happening though
By 47 / 5-2
Registration Days
he came off the bench his soph year to drop 20 on boston u and win the game on a 3pointer at the buzzer. he dropped 37 his senior year on radford to upset them. he scored 12 points in the final 23 seconds(yes, i said 12 points in the final 23 seconds) when his teams was down 10 to jmu his junior year. pretty much every game we won during the hankinson era was because of him.
now, if you read my post i did not say he was better then white or jackson. i simply questioned why people keep knocking his game.
was white the best pg to ever play in the big south? in my opinion yes. in fact, i don't recall many games(conference or non) in which he was not the best pg on the floor. however, he wore down as the games and season progressed because of his work ethic off the court.
jackson had one of the sweetest strokes i've ever seen and was a quality person off the court. however, he could not take over a game on cue. did we win games because of larry? absolutely! however, those games he won came to him, he did not go out and get them so to sa
now, blair has the chance this year to outshine them all. let's hope he can do it.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
White wore down because he had to play 40 minutes a game, so he was a weightliftling freak, what really wore him down was the frustration of playing that slow style... Jackson took over the UVA game and we won, thank you, also took over at Cal Poly remember Scar? Marcus was unbelieveable at TCU, when TCU was really good... If White or Jackson played in this era or Hankinson era they would have had major scoring nights... Offense back in the Meyer/Dunton era was walk it up throw in to Aluma, Jackson still scored 1100 or 1200 points doing that... Caldwell and Blair are playing in free lance system... Caldwell was a good player the older he got, but when he was a rookie I saw shoot airballs and didn't start over Edwin "gumbo" Marks or Jamal Bennett... remember those guys.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I do remember LJ taking over vs Cal Poly in the Fresno tourney. What a performance. 9 threes that night! I also remember Marcus White being the best player on the floor by far when we played TCU after leaving Hawaii for 2 weeks and he was unreal. Caldwell had performances like that too but I didn't get to witness many of them but I certainly heard about them. I would never dis Caldwell and I too am wondering why some folks (not Killenem) knock his game. I def see Killenem's point about White and Jackson. Great, great players but again, Caldwell was special too.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Quite possibly the best thing that happened last night after the Blue/White was Dunton sent the players up in the stands to thank those who came to the game and to shake their hands.

Get the players involved with the student body more.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Scar, as usual always being politically correct.

A "Did you know" Larry Blair shot 579 shots (22ppg) last season, (wow) what if Jackson or White would have shot that many.

Holcomb Faye 511 shots (23ppg)
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Killenem, I am not being politically correct by saying Chris Caldwell was a great player. He was. True Larry Blair takes a ton of shots. His shooting percentage is not that great but if you use that as your only arguement, Matt Hildebrand and me are 2 of the best. I know I made almost 50% of my shots but I wouldn't consider myself one of the best ever.

Also, White was not a great shooter in terms of shooting percentage. I would say that LJ was somewhere around 45% or less for career and Blair is around 41% I will have to check that.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I agree with most of those who argue David Dees had the chance to be the best player ever, at LU.

He had the potential to play at a high-major school and be quite productive but for whatever reason ended up at LU and played extremely well until his well documented issues with the coaching staff and the school pushed him over the edge. I enjoyed Dees game. He certaintly wasn't is as athletic as Blair is but could really shoot and had unlimated range. He was probably just as good at posting up smaller gaurds. Could you imagine a front court this season with Brewington, Blair and Dees? Yikes. That would have been scary.

I had an interesting arguement with a guy while watching the Blue/White scrammage. He listed off the five he would start and purposely left of Larry Blair. The perception of a lot of people that casually follow Liberty basketball is that Blair is a ballhog and throws up too many shots. I laughed and called his prediction 'hogwash'. Last year, the offense was "pass the ball to Larry and stand around hoping he makes a play" which forced LB to take many more shots than he wanted. I think it's LB's desire to get his teammates involved. This team is talented and he knows it, he's going to get them all involved and you're going to seen an all-around improved Larry Blair.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
I'm curious. Did anyone get Dees' version as to why he left?
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
That wasn't my arguement at all... I was just putting that number out there (LB's shots)... I did some research on some players and thought I would throw that in there...

Williams 372 shots (19ppg)
Leasure 411 shots (17or18ppg)
AZ Reid 449 shots (17ppg)
Martin 345 (13ppg)

my last statements on this thread will be :

#1- be careful who you call "great players" Obvisiously I am partial to Jackson and White, But Aluma, going by stats, wins, Big South Tournament MVP's, was the greatest in LU history! -- I wouldn't put Caldwell in the "great player" class.

#2- If Blair averages less than 20 points, playing to be more unselfish, Would it be a disappointing year for him in the eyes of LUBM and everyone who says he's the greatest?

#3- BUT if he averages 20 or more will these great players around him and the fans look at him as selfish?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I talked to Dees all the time when he was here. He sought me out for advice when he was thinking of leaving. Dees loved it at Liberty. He had no problems whatsoever with the rules or the people. He was/is a sensitive player and felt that coach D's intensity was too much for him in a nutshell. Add to the fact that he also felt that LB was getting more attention than he was. Seems crazy to think about now but that is what he expressed to me and others. I personally thought leaving was a huge mistake and I told him that. I also told him I couldn't make his decision for him and that I would support him in whatever he chose. David is a great kid and a great basketball player. I really hope he does well down there in Louisiana...As far at the kid leaving LB out of the lineup and him being a ball hog? NO CLUE ABOUT BASKETBALL.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Killn'emsoftly wrote: #3- BUT if he averages 20 or more will these great players around him and the fans look at him as selfish?
If LU wins 17-19 games and makes a run at the conference title, I don't think anyone will care if he averages 25 or 15. Remember winning covers for a multitude of sins.
By 47 / 5-2
Registration Days
so what your saying killen me is that you would put caldwell somewhere between nick skipje and rob attaway on the all time lu roster??? you know i've been talking about chris not gabe. oops. funny you mentioned "gumbo" wasn't he the one doing marco's reps? anyway, i will agree just to disagree and no disrespect to l.j. or marco they were both great players. by the way, i would sneek g. martin into my top 10.
scar - i'm up in jersey are there any dish stations i can tune into to catch any of the games?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We stream the home games online ... you just have to put up with inane comments from teh color guy. :lol:
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:We stream the home games online ... you just have to put up with inane comments from teh color guy. :lol:
Oh, never mind. I read the last couple words wrong and was getting ready for a witty post (something about color? I thought all our radio games were in black and white).
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
47, as Sly said, you can catch us via the web. See my signature. And I promise I will be slightly better than the "Boom goes the dynamite" guy :lol: And I have given G-Mart a lot of consideration as to where he stands on the all time list as well. I do think he should have gotten at least 1 league MVP of the Reg season. If LB gets it he will be the first Liberty player to win the honor believe it or not. Yet one more milestone for LB to go after. Can't wait for tomorrow's game. Hope people come out to watch.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]