If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here's a kid from not far away who sports a 3.5 GPA:

Noah States
6' 7" 185 lb Small Forward
Hargrave Military Academy
(Transferred from Lord Botetourt)

AAU: East Coast Scholar Athletes

Rivals Profile
Scout Profile

College Choices:
DePaul
Florida
Penn State
Purdue
Stanford
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Appalachian State
Davidson
Furman
George Mason
JMU (Offered)
Richmond
VCU
William & Mary (Offered)
Liberty (Offered)
Penn
Furman (Offered)
Morehead State (Offered)
Buffalo (Offered)

Here's a year old story on Noah:
Introducing...2007 SF Noah States

By: Kerry Fair
Basketball Editor/Analyst
Date: Oct 26, 2005

HooNation gives a premium story for free with the introduction of 2007 SF Noah States. The Virginia native has a long list and it's well deserved after working hard to improve. Shooting is his strength and big name programs are taking notice. Enjoy.

Looking for a sweet shooting small forward? Well there’s one in the class of 2007 that is has flown under the radar for far too long. Enter Noah States. The 6’7 180 lb. States can shoot it with the best of them. A testament of his prowess on the perimeter would be at the Southern Invitational held in Charlottesville earlier this summer. States jumped on the scene when he helped his East Coast Scholars AAU squad defeat the Georgia Stars 16's team by nailing upwards of seven treys on the always tough Georgia squad.
States has seen his recruitment pick up since then and we caught up with him to see just who was in the mix currently for the Lord Botetourt HS star in Daleville, VA.

”Right now Stanford, North Carolina State, Illinois, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Penn State, Florida, Connecticut, Notre Dame, and West Virginia are the schools I’m interested in. I’ve got offers already from James Madison and William & Mary.”

As mentioned earlier States ran on the AAU circuit with the East Coast Scholars and he enjoyed the experience. “I think we did good. It was my first year in a kinda bigger AAU league. I got a lot of experience playing some of the best players in the country.” The exposure obviously didn’t hurt either. A lengthy list indeed but great perimeter shooters come at a premium it seems nowadays so it’s no wonder States is hearing from some of the country’s top basketball programs. Asked if he had any favorites at this juncture States said, “No, I’m pretty much wide open.”

We asked the four star 2007 prospect to praise and criticize his game and he responded, “I think my shooting and offense are definitely my strengths right now. The areas I think I really need to improve on are my defense, getting stronger, and getting faster.”

With a high number of schools actively recruiting him States told us what he’s currently looking for in a school. “I want to go to top notch academic school but one with a good basketball program as well.”

The Virginia native has already made it a point to see some of the schools on his list. “I’ve been to Penn State and West Virginia unofficially so far. I planning to go to Virginia, Virginia Tech, and NC State soon. Right now Penn State, James Madison, William & Mary, Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, and West Virginia are recruiting me the hardest."

Scout.com will continue to give you the latest on the recruitment of Noah States as schools continue to jockey for position high on his list.

Fun Facts About Noah States:

KF: Who’s your favorite player?

NS: Kevin Garnett. I like his style of play.

KF: If you could play one on one with anybody in the world who you play?

NS: Lebron James.

KF: Okay, three on three and you have to pick two teammates. Who are they?

NS: Lebron James and Tim Duncan.
http://virginia.scout.com/2/457822.html

And here is a mention from the Roanoke fishwrap about his transfer to Hargrave:
States decides to leave Botetourt
The Cavs' basketball standout opts to move to Hargrave Military Academy for his last year.

Robert Anderson

Another Timesland basketball standout is going elsewhere to try to earn his stripes.

Noah States, a 6-foot-7 forward who averaged 17.1 points per game last year at Lord Botetourt, is leaving the Cavaliers to spend his senior season playing for the postgraduate team at Hargrave Military Academy.

States, who already has at least six scholarship offers from mid-major Division I colleges, visited the Chatham prep school Monday and accepted an offer to join the program, his father, Rob, said Tuesday.

"It was a family decision, but my wife and I let Noah make the final decision," Rob States said. "It's about getting stronger, becoming a better player."

Rob States said Hargrave coach Kevin Keatts brought up the idea of a transfer in a telephone conversation in recent weeks.

"He didn't really recruit Noah, he just kind of called me and let me know what was out there. It kind of surprised me. I thought their postgraduate team was for postgrads."

Hargrave has a separate undergraduate program which competes in the Virginia Independent Conference against schools such as Roanoke Catholic and North Cross.

The Hargrave postgraduate program -- often a destination for players trying to improve their academic standing along with their size and strength -- is beginning to attract rising high school seniors.

Last year, Georgetown signee Vernon Macklin played at Hargrave after leaving I.C. Norcom High in Portsmouth. Michael Beasley -- rated the nation's No. 1 prospect by rivals.com -- is considering Hargrave after spending his junior year at Oak Hill Academy.

Virginia Tech signee Jeff Allen, who finished his senior year at Oak Hill, also will play this winter at Hargrave.

States is the second Timesland standout to leave the area in the last two years. Kenny Belton, the Timesland Sizzlin' Sophomore of the Year in 2004-05 at Salem, played last season at Greensboro (N.C.) Dudley.

Roanokers George Lynch, Curtis Staples and J.R. Reynolds all left their respective high schools early and finished their prep careers elsewhere as jumping-off points to ACC programs.

States, who has a 3.5 grade point average according to his father, has scholarship offers from Liberty, William and Mary, James Madison, Furman, Morehead State and Buffalo.

States averaged 6.2 rebounds as a junior and shot 48.6 percent from the field, 31.6 percent from 3-point range.

Rob States said the move to Hargrave was not made simply because they felt it was a higher-profile school.

"That's not his sole reason," he said. "Noah just wants to be prepared to play in college."

Rob States said his son informed Lord Botetourt coach Jon Cook of his decision Monday by telephone.

"That was the toughest part of the decision," Rob States said. "That was the toughest call to make. Coach Cook is a young coach who is up and coming. He's really turned things around with the program."

Cook was stung by States' departure.

"It's hard to swallow as a coach," Cook said. "We had an open gym last week and he told me he had a campus visit on Monday. They gave him the song and dance about how the grass is greener on the other side.

"As a high school coach, I don't like it. As a father, I'm sure you have to do what's best for your kid. Noah's a good kid. He's always done everything we've asked, but at the same time, that's 25 points a game. We've got a good nucleus coming back. We'll be OK."

Botetourt finished 14-9 last season, losing to Northside in the Blue Ridge District tournament semifinals.

Complicating the issue is the fact Rob States has been an assistant coach under Cook.

States said Tuesday he's not sure if he wants to remain in that capacity, and Cook isn't certain an offer will be made to retain him.

"We haven't got that far yet," Cook said.
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/wb/wb/xp-78352
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
Well LCA plays Hargrave usually and i work over there so ill get to see this kid... ill do my best to post what i see
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
TylerBakersGonnaBGreat wrote:Well LCA plays Hargrave usually and i work over there so ill get to see this kid... ill do my best to post what i see
I had friends on the PG team the year I was there. They would run LCA (or a lot of high school varsity teams) out of the gym. these guys play college JV teams and other college prep schools.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
states is playing on hargrave's postgrad team, so he will not be playing LCA.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:states is playing on hargrave's postgrad team, so he will not be playing LCA.
I know. That's why I made the statement to TBGBG
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
Oh My bad then...
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He has verballed to Furman
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?