If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Realist
Registration Days Posts
I was only off on the CSU-Asheville placement, so close!

1. Winthrop (30).....................240 - - - - - - - 240
2. Coastal Carolina......................- 91 78 15 - 3 - - 187
3. High Point...............................- 91 66 15 4 6 - - 182
4. Charleston Southern................- 14 12 25 40 27 2 1 121
5. Liberty....................................- 7 12 45 24 15 14 - 117
6. UNC Asheville........................- 7 - 30 24 27 8 4 100
7. Radford...................................- - 12 15 24 9 22 5 87
8. VMI........................................- - - 5 4 3 14 20 46

All conference
POY: Martin
Blair
AZ Reid
Leasure
Bradshaw
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's about what we expected.
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
Votes were pretty close on POY, Martin had 6, Blair had 5.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Bradshaw should have been POY, he is the one that makes Martin so good because everyone has to key on him definsively, that leaves Martin and Gaynor wide open...

As far as the standings, I got a feeling that Coastal could slide somewhat this year lossing Pele and Colin Stevens will hurt more than people realize...
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Pretty fair assesment for once.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
All I care about is the final standings. No way we are 5th! I can't wait until the guys get out their on the court to prove it.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Realist when I saw your predictions I thought you had an inside scoop because it was so close to the actuals that I heard a couple of weeks ago. Killen em, I think Martin is tough even if they didn't have Bradshaw. LB of course is as special as they come in a Liberty Jersey. From what I am hearing though, Brew may be more talented than the entire Big South. Conference!
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Scar I sometimes respect your knowledge :D but in this case I am going to throw one at you... If the Big South had a draft who would you take first, the best big man, just like Aluma was! You can always take a guard later in the draft... How good would LB be if he played with Bradshaw! :shock:
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Killenm I agree that Bradshaw makes it easier on the guards because you have to respect him. Aluma definitely made Jacskon and White better but don't you think Jackson was gonna murder whoever guarded him anyway? He played his senior year without Alum and no one could guard him. You remember cause you were there. I will say that as a team Winthrop or whoever has the best big man, would benefit. I was just saying Blair, Martin, Jackson, would still be very tough to stop regardless of whoever else is on their team. Certain guys have to have a big man to draw attention away from them. I think Martin and Blair don't need that. Martin had the luxury while Blair did not, last season.
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
No inside scoop Scar, just after following the league so long you can make a pretty good guess at who they will predict whether you agree with it or not. I think CCU will fall a little bit, but I figured the voters would definitely put them second. I am a little surprised at the respect they showed CSU and not UNCA. I thought it would flip flop.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
well we will be surprising a lot of people this year!!!!!! cannot wait for the fun to begin!
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Scar, I still disagree. You cannot say Martin is better, Bradshaw is the only player that will have a shot at the NBA on that first team. Martin only scores on open 3's from games I saw, I actually thought James Shular was a better player than Martin last year. Not to knock Blair but he has to take alot of FG attempts per game. Like LJ and I were saying over the summer, if LJ could have taken as many shots as LB then LJ would have crazier numbers. Jackson only played one season without Aluma and was sensational but still didn't shoot as much as LB does...

By the way you answered the question when you said a big man makes a guard better, my point exactly on why Bradshaw should have been POY!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Ok, nobody has had the green light that Blair had last year but nobody had as few scorers on their team either. I am not necessarily saying Martin is Better than Bradshaw. I like Craig's game a lot but the thing you have to compare is the fact that Bradshaw is not challenged night in and night out by other big men in the league but Martin and Blair are constantly going up against defenders that are capable and talented like they are. There are tons of good perimeter players in the big south but not a lot of big men. That is one major difference from ten years ago. The big south was ranked 19th in the nation in terms of conference quality which I believe was their best finish but I thought from top to bottom the old big south was tougher. Winthrop was about the only game we knew we were gonna win back then and maybe UMBC but then they got good fast. Then they left. Me and Coach D were talking about that the other day. He is the one that reminded me how high the conference finished last year. Anyway, I would not be upset if Bradshaw got preseaon player of the year because that is just an opinion poll. POY is the real award and I hope for the 1st time in history, Liberty actually gets one in Blair.
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like your feathers got ruffled... :wink: are you getting your game face on for Friday night or something!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
no ruffled feathers here. I respect your opinion. I have no game face to put on because I have no game. I am not gonna play much that I can promise. I will enjoy hanging out with my old friends and teammates and fellow hoopers though. Maybe you can get over to the Vines on Friday as well?
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
Coach D won't allow me in the gym, :cry: I've been banned!
By panfan01
Registration Days Posts
I'll tell you,4 or 5 years ago the BS was only slightly better than D-2 and that was only the top 3 or 4 teams.This conference has improve dramatically during the last 3 years.Larry Blair should have been POY pre season pick,any other pick is "bs"politics.Martin is a ridiculous pick just like he was last year as was Leasure winning the final award.James Shuler and Larry Blair should have been the only players considered for the award last year.
By soulman57
Registration Days
Dark horse player of the year is ARMON JONES!!!!!!!!! How about that as a long shot?
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
soulman57 wrote:Dark horse player of the year is ARMON JONES!!!!!!!!! How about that as a long shot?
I think that's the biggest long shot I've heard all year...but then again, I've never seen him play, so who knows.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That would be a long shot considering the talent he has on his own team. But I'd definitely love to see him emerge right away. The opportunity to succeed is in front of him.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]