If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
It was a pep rally on a Wednesday night for a game on Saturday. That's why no one was there.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
i thought alot more people would come out because it's such a big weekend
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Manger, you mentioned it was a big weekend and you're right. However, Wednesday night is not the weekend. Friday night is the weekend. I still say that the Fire Drill should've been Friday night and Midnight Madness should've been Saturday night to cap off Homecoming weekend. Then again, what do I know, I'm just a student.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
SJ you are right....I know you talk with some from the atheltic department at times, did you ever ask why they decided to do it this way??? because it just seems odd.....
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
No, I'm no longer a leader of the SFC. However, I had absolutely no input in the planning of the first one so I doubt it would've done much had anyone said anything. They tend to do these things on their own. That's the Liberty Way.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The only explanation I have heard is they wanted to get people while they were already out, that's why they did it after church. Wednesday before a Thursday night game works, not a Saturday afternoon game. I never once considered going over there tonight.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
yeah...so odd....they have never done a pep rally for football on wednesday for a saturday game... i dont understand it. I was working so couldn't go anyways....and if it were to be at 9:15 on Friday I wouldn't of been able to go because of work....and you can't really have it too late if you want to players to be there....i guess they don't have to be there but it is a football pep rally so you would think that having them there would be imporatant...anyways maybe they have learned their lesson now for the future....anybody know how many people did make it tonight?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
There's not too much to do in Lynchburg on a Friday night now that it's getting dark early. An 8pm pep rally on Friday night would've worked. I actually know a lot of people that didn't go tonight because they were watching Lost instead. I know it sounds dumb, but you have to look at what your target group is into and see that half of the school watches Lost at 9pm on Wednesday nights. Haize taught that in his Intro to Sport class. The only thing on at 8 on Friday night is Ghost Whisperer and nobody watches that. Maybe it just makes too much sense in my head.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I think the pep rallies are a little silly myself. A step team? For the football game? Come on.

I think Williams stadium is rocking on Saturday no matter what.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The step team was probably a bit much. All you need is the football team and the band.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Friend: so... did you enjoy the boring pep rally??
Me: What all'd they do?
Friend: they had the step team up alot. and then coach talked for 2 min and then the band played the same song twice
Friend: then we all stood around for a few min and left
Friend: it was horrible
Me: that song was probably the fight song
Friend: and the turn out was horrible
Friend: and yeah it was the stupid fight song
Me: I actually like our fight song, most people don't realize we have one
Friend: its good
Friend: but i dont want ot hear it twice for no reason

The question is, how many people is this going to turn off to Midnight Madness?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
One last thing and then I'll shutup about this.

There's a bon fire and concert on Friday night a 9pm. How hard would it have been for Student Life and the Athletic Department to work together? Have the concert start at 9, around 9:20 have Coach Rocco and some of the players come out and all of that, talk about the game for a few minutes, and then go back to the concert. I know, that would require two departments working together and that doesn't happen at Liberty, but it would've made things so much better.

In the words of Bill Simmons, we need a VP of Common Sense.
By qkslvrsrfrboy
Registration Days Posts
alot of people actually didnt even know what the fire drill was?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
fire drill is also i dumb name for a pep rally...every fire drill i have ever stood through has been boring...why would you name your pep rally something people think of as being boring???

yes SJ that is a good idea, but that won't happen at liberty...2 departments working together that is
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:fire drill is also i dumb name for a pep rally...every fire drill i have ever stood through has been boring...why would you name your pep rally something people think of as being boring???

yes SJ that is a good idea, but that won't happen at liberty...2 departments working together that is
I'll somewhat take the blame for Fire Drill but it was really Sly's idea. I mentioned it to someone and they loved it and went with it. I've never been a huge fan of the name.

An easy way to make it better: give stuff away. Have a few promotions. You don't have to give something big, just something. Have a contest where you put the ball on the 40 yard line and they have to kick it into the end zone and if they do they get a free meal at Chik Fil A. Put a hoolahoop up and have a dizzy bat contest and make them throw through the hoop and if they get it, give em a t-shirt or something. We complain that no one knows the history of LU football or nobody keeps up with the team so have a trivia contest. Ask questions like where is LU in the nation in scoring defense (3rd), which I-A team did we beat on that day, etc. If the person gets it right, give em a t-shirt. However, if they get it wrong, they get hit in the face with a pie. It'd be funny, it'd be entertaining. Also, whoever is leading it has to be exciting.

Everything I just said can be used at Midnight Madness too to make things better.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
yea it would....

smitty and LB throwing down some crazy dunks will do pretty good too. lol
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
i think ours is going to be more than 30 mins also.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Throwing me under the bus, eh SJ? :lol:

It doesn't sound like they had this fire drill very well thought out. I thought the purpose was to teach some organized chants and the like.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
yea me too... i wanna try to get some chants going for bball. i have so many that we can do
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Throwing me under the bus, eh SJ? :lol:

It doesn't sound like they had this fire drill very well thought out. I thought the purpose was to teach some organized chants and the like.
When I took the idea to them, that's what I meant. I guess they thought this would be better...
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
does this still mean nobody knows the fight song besides the football team?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
For the most part, yes.

So much for putting the words on the screen.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]