If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
not only an interesting take on the upcoming season, but a SHOUT OUT to our own beloved site! Movin' on up!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2515425
Red flag: Jerry Falwell's Liberty University offers lessons about what it believes is the right way to live. Last season, nobody could deny that it offered lessons about the wrong way to play basketball.

Larry Blair's 22.6 points per game on 40.5 percent shooting (35.6 percent from beyond the arc) landed him on the all-conference first team, and nobody fell over laughing when he decided to test the NBA draft waters. But despite his obvious talent and skill, the junior guard played for a team that finished with six overall wins and a 3-13 league record, and at times, he was openly flustered and angry at his teammates' inability to help him shoulder the load. In response, the rest of the team played like shrinking violets.

Enter Dwight Brewington, a muscular and talented 6-5 ex-pat from Providence. He was the Friars' leading scorer in 2004-05 at 13.3 ppg, but was suspended by the coaching staff for skipping an early-season team meeting. Brewington stormed out of school, using local newspapers to express his displeasure with head coach Tim Welsh for denying him the opportunity to become a scoring point guard. Since he didn't exit until PC's semester break, Brewington won't be eligible to start playing for Liberty until January.

Can the forceful personalities of Blair and Brewington coexist? If so, Liberty can pencil in 35 to 40 points a night and will move closer to the secular promised land of the NCAA Tournament. But at the very least, if the season devolves into gimme-the-ball one-upmanship, the good folks over at flamefans.com will have front-row seats to some captivating Sturm and Drang, instead of last year's gloom and doom.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
another interesting point here, this one about the Bracket Buster games (the significance of which LANG and others so nicely explained to me last season. )
Liberty: The Flames will be packing their bags and hitting the road for a yet-unknown destination in mid-February. As of this printing, they're scheduled to participate in BracketBusters 2007 as an away team.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
WOAH WHOAH this site got a mention on epsn.com. That's amazing. is anybody else amazed? really what probably happened was Kyle Whelliston was given the task to research the BS and give his report and he googled this site and found out interesting facts. But still. This is a historic day for this site.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Player (Team) 2005-06 PPG
Larry Blair (Liberty) 12.6

:oops:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
wondering if SLY is getting royalty checks now?
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Wow. That's amazing. We got a shoutout on ESPN.com!!!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Player (Team) 2005-06 PPG
Larry Blair (Liberty) 12.6

:oops:
saw that as well- 22.6, right?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:WOAH WHOAH this site got a mention on epsn.com.
\

You looking at some website I didn't know about?
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
OK ill admit it, i am amazed and i actually had to read it twice.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Whelliston knows his stuff as he concentrates on mid-majors. I admit the FlameFans reference brought a smile to my face. Hopefully that generates a few new faces appearing on the board when they learn of our existence.
By B 2 Tha K
Registration Days Posts
This website is going places...
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
They like us. They really like us.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: I admit the FlameFans reference brought a smile to my face.
I'll bet it did. and now Mrs SLY has to put up with a week of "SEE? SEE? I TOLD ya so!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
She wasn't near as impressed as I was.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
Uhhh, what's "sturm and drang"? Geez, you take summer off and this is what happens...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
very high brow reference there: Sturm und Drang= Storm and Stress

as in :

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/S/Sturmund.asp
Sturm und Drang
STURM UND DRANG [Sturm und Drang] or Storm and Stress, movement in German literature that flourished from c.1770 to c.1784. It takes its name from a play by F. M. von Klinger, Wirrwarr; oder, Sturm und Drang (1776). The ideas of Rousseau were a major stimulus of the movement, but it evolved more immediately from the influence of Herder, Lessing, and others. With Sturm und Drang, German authors became cultural leaders of Europe, writing literature that was revolutionary in its stress on subjectivity and on the unease of man in contemporary society. The movement was distinguished also by the intensity with which it developed the theme of youthful genius in rebellion against accepted standards, by its enthusiasm for nature, and by its rejection of the rules of 18th-century neoclassical style. The great figure of the movement was Goethe, who wrote its first major drama, Götz von Berlichingen (1773), and its most sensational and representative novel, The Sorrows of Young Werther (1774). Other writers of importance were Klopstock, J. M. R. Lenz, and Friedrich Müller. The last major figure was Schiller, whose Die Räuber and other early plays were also a prelude to romanticism.

Bibliography: See studies by R. Pascal (1953, repr. 1967) and M. O. Kirsten (1969).
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Overlooking the "Sturm und Drang/ Storm and Stress" bit (I guess writers have to impress themselves as they write), that's a fun thing to read. Great on the "Flame Fans" reference, even greater that people are interested in the team again. p.s. - the guys that insult last year's team with such disregard really bug me. I just want to throw that in every now and then, you know, to keep the conversation
balanced.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]