By far the most popular Club Sports on Campus making them well deserving of their own home. Bring your Hockey Club discussion here. All D1, D2 and D3 Men's and Women's team will find a home here.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Do you think they should put seats in the LeHaye Ice Center?

Yes, seats would make a more enjoyable experience
89%
No, people like to stand at hockey games, and the space may be needed for other things
11%
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
To me, I think LU sortof messed up a great oppertunity to bring in more community folks to sports at LU. It was great to see so many people at the hockey game, when the students weren't even back yet. I saw so many people that I never saw at a Libert Univ. atheletic event before.

However, many left...and the main comment was they wanted to sit and couldn't see. I think one of the most important things they can do is put seats in the Lehaye Ice Center...they could easily fund them by putting adds on the ice and on the dasherboards (WHICH WERE COMPELETLY EMPTY FOR THE FIRST GAME).

Also, they need to put together a highschool league. When I played up north, since high school hockey was really a "club" sport as well...there weren't as strict boundaries between A, AA, AAA schools, etc. They could simply work to get started...and I'm sure some schools would field teams. Get more local people onto the campus for an event.

Hey, even figure skating...the more locals you can get on campus, the more they become familiar with it, the more likely they are to go to other events (basketball, football, etc).

So I'm adding a poll about adding seats to the rink.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Seats are coming... they are looking high and low for bleachers.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
as was mentioned- bleachers ARE coming, my understanding is the entire side (or the vast majority, anyway) opposite the "mezzanine level" will have seating along its length.

also, bleachers were placed atop the one side, however they were not ready for Fri nite's game- I'm sure they will be w/in the next few weeks, if not sooner.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
What would the capacity be if we add the bleachers? I was told that 1500 were at Saturday's game and the students aren't even back yet. We should be able to pack them in when the students come back due to the mens hoops team's "stinking it up". Meaning that the 3 or 4 thousand that would see the mens basketball team would turn there attention to hockey and watch a descent team perform.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
or they can go see the Women's Basketball team but then again........
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I don't know what the capacity is, but I'm sure it would be greater with seats. At the game I was at on Friday, there were 1500-2000 people there, but probably only about 800 could see well.

It doesn't look like it from the pictures, but there is a LOT of space around the rink for pull-out bleachers, and there is almost a full "balcony"...I'd say you could get 3,000 in there with seats...
By LU Alumni Director
I think the capacity is 3000 with seats in. These things will take time to get in. They wanted it ready for Jan. 1st then some things didn't get put in. Also, look for leagues to start in the fall, giving them time to set up the oversight for them, as well as a full season to play. BTW, if you thought there were places kind of hard to see, try being the 4th guy back on the upper deck at the Ice Station. Do not worry, the community will continue to support the team as long as they win, because we know that Lynchburgians come to winners and flee losers like rats on a ship i.e. mens bball and fball
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I agree that people will continue to come. I don't mean to be rushing anybody about the seats...but my concern was that seats weren't part of the original plan "The stundents have a tradition of standing and we want to continue that", I think that was the quote in the N&A paper long before the rink was built.

I just don't understand why anyone would even say that...hopefully the seats will come, but that statement made no sense, and so I was worried that we would never see seats.

From the pictures, it does look like more seating could be put in in the future...especially if they extend the net the whole way around (I've seen this at a lot of rinks, you really get used to it after a while).

Also, did anyone notice that they aren't announcing for people to watch the puck, and there's no warning on the back of the tickets for people to watch the puck...really need to start saying/doing that.

But I love the rink...
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Florida AG now suing the ACC. https://www.espn.com[…]

NMSU

Any info about the new incoming players to the p[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

OK, so the latest from ASOR says that Smith is com[…]

NFL’s trading rules, salary cap, and prof[…]