By far the most popular Club Sports on Campus making them well deserving of their own home. Bring your Hockey Club discussion here. All D1, D2 and D3 Men's and Women's team will find a home here.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The way we'll know we're ready for NCAA D-I is if we're beating the ACHA teams like we were ACHA D2 last year (10-0, etc).
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
It's funny, because for all the time spent talking about moving hockey (and football) to Div. I, and the various reasons why we're not ready, I've never heard mentioned that the fans aren't ready for Div. I either. I was thinking about that today at the football game. I'd watch all of the folks on the "pay" side of the stadium and it takes WAY too much to get those people off their duffs. We simply don't have Division I fans yet. I know there are reasons for it, but it works both ways, too.
By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
There are several club sports outside of hockey that get NO financial support. As a mattere of fact NO teams get ANY support and that's not going to change. At least they have a place to play. Clubs are student-runned organizations and are self-funded.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
yeah i think that we can alll agree that this facebook group was started by people that have no idea what they are talking about....
By hockeyleafs24
Registration Days
Although I haven't seen Liberty play in a while, I will assume the level of play has increased but there still would be know way they could play NCAA division1. Div 1 is euilvalent to Junior A in Canada and these are guys that are draft prospects. If Liberty players were that good they would be staying home in canada and playing Junior A or attending Northern schools on full scholarships. As I said I haven't seen them play but judging by who they play they would be blown out if they played against schools like Michigan, Wisconsin or Maine.

It would be great to see them eventually play at that level though but it would cost the school big bucks!!!

When I played for Liberty ,which is a while ago, we had maybe 2 guys who might play as high as Junior B or just might crack a junior A team here. I am a season ticket holder now for the oshawa generals back home here and the game is just a lot faster than what I remember our team playing. It will help this team now with being able to practice more often though on their own ice.

The junior hockey in Canada is much better than the minor pro ECHL (roanoke express) for starters.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah but you don't have to put up with the unseemly nature of Canadian junior hockey at LU or in the minors. And yes I know Lindros played for your Generals back in the day before he could drive a car along with numerous NHL stars over the years. :wink:

I don't think anyone expects us to step up to scholie hockey and play with the elite right away. To go from no scholies to facing teams loaded with grants in aid would be brutal initially. But if we are a viable scholarship option for Canucks and Americans alike in a Southern setting with a Christian atmosphere I don't see why we couldn't achieve a modicum of success down the road.
By hockeyleafs24
Registration Days
I didn't mean to disrespect any of the hockey going on at Liberty. I would bet that the team is a lot better than the teams I played on. We could have been better but only practiced once a week and sometimes played competition that didn't cut it for us canadian and northern us guys. It would be awesome if they ever made Divion 1 NCAA but as I said it would cost huge Dollars for travel as all games would be up North and Scholarships would have to be offered.

Also realize Junior hockey up here starts at 16 and goes till 20 where as most players at LU are 18-23 range. I have to get down to LU again to check out the rink. What are the crowds like? I remember getting a rush playing in front of a packed Lancerlot arena for our first year then still playing in front of a 1000 fans at Roanoke Civic centre.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
2500-3000 at the lahaye center. you would love it! it is a real home atmosphere!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
yeah- esp when SMOOTHIE and I are in the house, leaning over the railing and shouting at the opposing team as they stagger to the bench or into the locker room :mrgreen:
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
yes indeed....heckling at it's best with myself and the medic. the only bad thing is i have to lift him up so he can see over the railing :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
yes, and I'm not comfortable with you being behind me like that, either
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
touche :D
By qkslvrsrfrboy
Registration Days Posts
no way, get on the boards with me and my friends where your right next to the opposing teams bench and heckle them during the game and as they walk away, its easier to get them kicked out for starting something that way
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
real mature man. our heckling is good naturend, not trying to get someone kicked out! you will get your butt kicked doing that kind of crap!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
back in the day when I didn't know how to keep my mouth shut I had one West Virginia player very angry...he has just got kicked out and he came back out in street clothes, I was like "Yeah # (whatever number he was)" He turned and kept yelling, "who's talking Sh**" and was like, "It was me". I fewlt safe sense all my friends were near me...he kept cursing and some girl is like, "do you really need to swear" It was funny...then some cop finally stopped him.....this was back in the Roanoke days....those were some good times
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]