By far the most popular Club Sports on Campus making them well deserving of their own home. Bring your Hockey Club discussion here. All D1, D2 and D3 Men's and Women's team will find a home here.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
kuntryboimike wrote:why is our hockey team still a club sport???
we've had this discussion quite a few times, here's one thread (that quickly went off course) and there's many others on this forum if you check.

http://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewtop ... =8&t=13964

Bottom line- the competition at the next level is exponentially harder- though that fact alone isn't the sole reason we're still a club sport..
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I would think that a lot of it has to do with location. All of the good teams are from the far north near Canada. Even with the high level of interest in hockey due to the success and number of teams that we have we need to put most of money into football and hoops, not hockey.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:It really has nothing to do with the level of competition so I would like to put that myth to rest. Yes, the level of play in NCAA Division 1 ice hockey is higher, however once you have program you are able to recruit those types of players. The truth is though, that the level of competition in ACHA D-1 has really improved a lot in the last 10 years (guys go pro every year from our division), and the top teams (such as ours) would compete very well in NCAA D-3 (there is no d-2 hockey). Going back to when our team wasn't nearly as good as it now, we competed well when we played NCAA D-3 programs. Our current roster would likely compete for the D-3 title this season.

Additionally, our team played against a single-A level pro team last season and won the game. That team's roster was packed with D-1 and junior A players. So those of you who are less informed about hockey player development, but are under the impression that our team is somehow inferior can shut it.

The reason we aren't NCAA is primarily $$ related. NCAA D-1 hockey is the second most expensive sport behind football in yearly budget. Title IX is also an issue, but that's an entirely different discussion.
Hate to refute your point but I can say with certainty there are no D-1 players or Junior A. Dave played Junior B in Grand Forks ,British Columbia and there have been a few that played that high but not A or D-1. With that being said, I think we have the best chance we have ever had to win a NC in ACHA 1. They guys gotta get there chemistry back in rhythm, trust me it will, and you will see a great performance in Ohio for the championship.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:No, I know there are no Junior A or D-1 players on our roster. There were on the Richmond Renegades roster, the team we beat last season.
Gotchya.
Volleyball Coach

Pinder is down in Wilmington, NC. Owns a couple of[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2024/04/26/liberty-un[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Going to play for old HCHF OL coach Klenakis and J[…]

Virginia Tech

The football team and basketball teams would like […]