By far the most popular Club Sports on Campus making them well deserving of their own home. Bring your Hockey Club discussion here. All D1, D2 and D3 Men's and Women's team will find a home here.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlamesBeBallin
Registration Days Posts
Alright I'm new to this whole college hockey thing. But I was just wondering, what would it take for us to go into the ncaa?? I mean it would probably take forever, but we have the top four spots in goals scored in the league. Maybe were not playing good teams, but this whole thing was just a simple question.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
moving hockey to DI status is not on the radar. obviously we are set in regards to facilities, and have a natural canadian recruiting pipeline, but i believe title IX has something to do with it. i would love to see it someday, but as SJ said, do not look for it any time soon. we are one of the best club programs in the country, and that is good enough for most at this point.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
FlamesBeBallin wrote:Alright I'm new to this whole college hockey thing. But I was just wondering, what would it take for us to go into the ncaa?? I mean it would probably take forever, but we have the top four spots in goals scored in the league. Maybe were not playing good teams, but this whole thing was just a simple question.
It would take a whole butt load of money.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Frankly the benefit really wouldn't offset the costs. While the calibre of opponents would increase, the name recognition probably wouldn't. I think most students care more about beating the ACC & Big Ten schools more than Bentley, Ferris State, Bemidji State or Renssalaer.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Frankly the benefit really wouldn't offset the costs. While the calibre of opponents would increase, the name recognition probably wouldn't. I think most students care more about beating the ACC & Big Ten schools more than Bentley, Ferris State, Bemidji State or Renssalaer.
We don't really play anyone else besides the ACC and they don't have anything at D1. We play schools like RIT, BU, BC and ND and I guarantee you we will draw record crowds.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Just like in football, your not getting the name brands schools to travel unless they let you in their league. And frankly, RIT doesn't mean much to most students or alumni.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Let's be honest here. Our hockey team, while a good club team, is lower than Lynchburg College athletics in the grand scheme of things. We like to make fun of LC for being a Division 3 school and we make fun of Division 3 athletics. Our hockey team is lower than Division 3. They are not NCAA. They are ACHA. They are good at what they are, but they are not NCAA. They don't like to tell people that. They like to say they're Division I and leave it at that.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
though that is true jon, there are some real NCAA D3 teams LU could beat. we just need to continue to try to be the best ACHA DI team out there, because the support is there.
By flamesbball84
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:though that is true jon, there are some real NCAA D3 teams LU could beat. we just need to continue to try to be the best ACHA DI team out there, because the support is there.
There are some real D3 teams that most likely wouldn't have much trouble defeating LU. there are D3 basketball and baseball teams that beast D1 teams every year. so whats your point?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think what they are getting at is that we dont need to step hockey up to the NCAA at this point, but we do have a very talented team and we should stand pat where we are. No point in getting too big for our hockey britches
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
flamesbball84 wrote:
bigsmooth wrote:though that is true jon, there are some real NCAA D3 teams LU could beat. we just need to continue to try to be the best ACHA DI team out there, because the support is there.
There are some real D3 teams that most likely wouldn't have much trouble defeating LU. there are D3 basketball and baseball teams that beast D1 teams every year. so whats your point?
His point was that our hockey team is a strong ACHA club and they need to continue to be that. Don't get your D3 panties in a bunch, trollface.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
flamesbball84 wrote:
Name a D3 school that could beat us in any sport.
By flamesbball84
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:
flamesbball84 wrote:
Name a D3 school that could beat us in any sport.
St. Thomas baseball - they beat Minnesota 6-3 (the Golden Gophers one) and won the national championsip. Minnesota finished the season ranked in the top 25 or one of the top teams in the receiving votes section of every single D1 baseball poll. Additionally, the Gophers were a #2 seed in their region for the NCAA Tournament. Basically, Minnesota was no slouch of a team.
Last edited by flamesbball84 on October 7th, 2009, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
flamerbob wrote:Name a D3 school that could beat us in any sport.
95% of any D3 hockey team.
I think he's talking about one of our NCAA sports.
By flamesbball84
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
If you want to go that route then, our club men's lacrosse team, which is normally composed of people who quit our NCAA team because of lack of playing time or weren't good enough to make the team, handed it to the LU club team last time they played.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
flamesbball84 wrote:
SuperJon wrote:
If you want to go that route then, our club men's lacrosse team, which is normally composed of people who quit our NCAA team because of lack of playing time or weren't good enough to make the team, handed it to the LU club team last time they played.
flamesbball84,Are you comparing club team to club team? SJ, the difference between a D3 NCAA and a top ACHA Div 1 team is closer than you think. We are very near the top of the ACHA so I think the outcomes of most of the games would surprise you.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Neither DIII or Club offer scholarships so the difference is generally slight. DII & DI are on whole other levels.
By flamesbball84
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:flamesbball84,Are you comparing club team to club team? SJ, the difference between a D3 NCAA and a top ACHA Div 1 team is closer than you think. We are very near the top of the ACHA so I think the outcomes of most of the games would surprise you.
Yes club to club in the lacrosse case I brought up.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Neither DIII or Club offer scholarships so the difference is generally slight. DII & DI are on whole other levels.
There hasn't been DII Ncaa in quite a few years.
flamesbball84 wrote:
flamerbob wrote:flamesbball84,Are you comparing club team to club team? SJ, the difference between a D3 NCAA and a top ACHA Div 1 team is closer than you think. We are very near the top of the ACHA so I think the outcomes of most of the games would surprise you.
Yes club to club in the lacrosse case I brought up.
You're comparing teams on a the same playing field so that would make the argument null.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
shuk, it is simple. LU could easily play NCAA D3 hockey and be very competitive, which im sure you would hate. see ya troll.
By flamesbball84
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:shuk, it is simple. LU could easily play NCAA D3 hockey and be very competitive, which im sure you would hate. see ya troll.
Problem though is that they are competing at a level that's even farther below lowly D3.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
flamesbball84 wrote:
bigsmooth wrote:shuk, it is simple. LU could easily play NCAA D3 hockey and be very competitive, which im sure you would hate. see ya troll.
Problem though is that they are competing at a level that's even farther below lowly D3.
The point I am trying to make is no, they are not that far below NCAA D3.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]