Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Saw this kid referenced on coastalfans.com

Rashaud Pernell
@Rashaudd__
‘22 | 3⭐️Defensive End | 6’3 250 |
@gohshsfootball
Virginia, USA. hudl.com/v/2C1VzQ

Thoughts on 2022 class so far? No highly rated commits, to date, according to 247. Kind of disappointed our success last year hasn't translated to better recruits. Check out Coastal's commits. Are the rankings irrelevant? Regardless, Freeze is arguably the best coach we've had on the mountain.
By tyndal23
LU Grad 11 wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 7:51 pm Thoughts on 2022 class so far? No highly rated commits, to date, according to 247. Kind of disappointed our success last year hasn't translated to better recruits. Check out Coastal's commits. Are the rankings irrelevant? Regardless, Freeze is arguably the best coach we've had on the mountain.
At this intermediate level, Rankings aren’t irrelevant, but the accuracy from a 247 Player Rating of 83 down to no stars is really drastic than from 84 to 100. Lot of kids peak and never get better, some kids grow and get dramatically better. 100 reasons a kid might get overlooked. Pretty sure if this staff offers them they like what they see. Interesting that a 6’6 335 kid gets overlooked because of where he is from and 247 has him 2 inches shorter and 60 lbs lighter. But he officially measured 6’5 and 5/8 2 weeks ago and 335 ( going off memory at a camp. The data gets tough for those sites after first 500 players or so. At the high end - recruiting rankings are pretty accurate and important. But as a fan, would prefer to have the early buzz like Coastal has. 247 gets around to adjusting their composite and a lot of these will be rated by signing day. On another note, see some juicy tall WR’s in transfer portal - would be curious if we are talking to any of them. The TN kid apparently never went to class...
By LUOrange
Most of our commits are 3 stars, and I agree with Tyndal, they're good if our staff offers them. I can't wait for us to start being on the radar for more 4 stars. That said, I do think we need to try and recruit Virginia more and especially local boys.
Last edited by LUOrange on June 24th, 2021, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Commit #6 came in last night.

3 things stand out for me with this kid

1) 6'7" TE. Gimme summa that!
2) Averaged almost 30 yards per reception in his last full HS season. :shock:
3) Good enough athlete to average 20 ppg on the hardwood and have a D1 basketball scholarship offer from Western Illinois.
LUOrange liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: June 24th, 2021, 7:01 am Commit #6 came in last night.

3 things stand out for me with this kid

1) 6'7" TE. Gimme summa that!
2) Averaged almost 30 yards per reception in his last full HS season. :shock:
3) Good enough athlete to average 20 ppg on the hardwood and have a D1 basketball scholarship offer from Western Illinois.
Yeah, there's certainly a lot to like. Just needs to add that weight/strength and he could be a real weapon.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
As TF and Ballcoach taught me, you can't coach height. Miller (and Purple) need to show Martin how to eat.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: June 24th, 2021, 8:24 am As TF and Ballcoach taught me, you can't coach height. Miller (and Purple) need to show Martin how to eat.
And as Ritchie McKay has taught us all, height is a factor that, while certainly not a bad thing, is sometimes overrated. (I think it will be great having a TE with PF size. Several NFL players have proven it to be a great asset).
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: June 24th, 2021, 1:11 pm And as Ritchie McKay has taught us all, height is a factor that, while certainly not a bad thing, is sometimes overrated.
Olldflame, that may be true in basketball (after Charles Barkley retired, he admitted to only being 6'4", and he was a rebounding machine). But Coach Freeze may respectfully disagree on the football field.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show, he also is a 2-star hoops prospect per Verbal Commits. He has been spending his summer running up and down the court in grassroots ball. If he needs to beef up, it will happen. Then again, Ritchie might have other ideas.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Looks like Hugh may have landed another under the radar skill-position guy.

Looked briefly at a couple of his vids...decent eye hand coordination and toughness for a player of this size.

That would be great if we get to see him on the hardwood as well.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: June 24th, 2021, 1:11 pm
Cider Jim wrote: June 24th, 2021, 8:24 am As TF and Ballcoach taught me, you can't coach height. Miller (and Purple) need to show Martin how to eat.
And as Ritchie McKay has taught us all, height is a factor that, while certainly not a bad thing, is sometimes overrated. (I think it will be great having a TE with PF size. Several NFL players have proven it to be a great asset).
John Brown averaged a double-double for Layer. He was a skinny 6-3...but had a something like a 6-10 wingspan. Jesse Sanders almost got 8 one year with pure grit.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Seems recruiting has a ton of offers out but not much to show. Is this going to be SOP for Freeze? BTW Coastal has about 12 now. (Moved from other thread). Three would be very good pickup.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have been a finalist for a slew of kids the past few weeks who have chosen schools like Appy, Coastal and Charlotte. There is no question sthat is disappointing. But we are still positioned well with a slew of prospects.
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: July 6th, 2021, 7:47 pm Need to win some with that level. Going heavy on JCs is not a good plan longterm.
Bill Snyder made a living of it at K-State for decades. With the transfer portal the game has changed. The expectation of having kids for 4 years is rapidly dissipating.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: July 21st, 2021, 11:59 am Just for the record, Holloman and Salter are now officially on Liberty's roster on the their website. As is Storey Jackson as well.
Where is the North Texas WR that was suppose to transfer in?
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 21st, 2021, 1:38 pm
badger74 wrote: July 6th, 2021, 7:47 pm Need to win some with that level. Going heavy on JCs is not a good plan longterm.
Bill Snyder made a living of it at K-State for decades. With the transfer portal the game has changed. The expectation of having kids for 4 years is rapidly dissipating.
So that's 1 out of 70 major schools. MOST dont do it that way. They either recruit stars (Bama, LSU, UF, OSU) or are development programs--UW, Iowa, UVa etc. I am most taking leery of JC players en masse. Portal guys less so. But it is hard to develop a strong culture with short-term guys.

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.