Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

LUnpretty11 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:24 pm Malik is not transferring to play any position other than QB, so any other ideas or guessing can be put to bed. I spoke with several people connected to the program who have said Malik could be to Liberty what RGIII was to Baylor. Seems like quite the statement, but that is how talented this guy is. If the waiver is approved, there is a good chance he will take the starting spot this season.

Malik chose Liberty because of Freeze. This is a perfect example as to the recruiting ability of our new head coach. Even if he doesn't pan out, this is a massive get for Liberty.
RG3 wouldn’t have been beaten out by 2 other QB’s
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:31 pm
LUnpretty11 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:24 pm Even if he doesn't pan out, this is a massive get for Liberty.
Not trying to be a jerk, but how is this statement true? It seems like not panning out would inherently make him less of a get for Liberty.
Not taken that way, and I expected some of the push back, especially from PH.

Look, I am as skeptical of transfers from P5 programs as anyone, but the fact remains that Malik is the 1st big time transfer from the SEC to Liberty. He picked Liberty because of HF. From a coaching, building program perspective, that is massive. This transfer puts Liberty on the map in a way we have not had before. That is what I mean even if he doesn't pan out. The clout and credibility for the program immediately skyrockets.

The last major position player transfer LU had was Rashad Jennings. Walt Aikens too, but that was different (he got kicked out). Every transfers scenario has been a. kicked out of former big time school b. 3rd/4th string lineman c. bad injury forces transfer. This is the first time a P5 position player (let alone QB) has chosen LU because of our head coach and what WE (LU) bring to the table.

The reality is, Malik had multiple top G5 options to play immediately and be "the guy". He chose Liberty because of our HC. It was a story that has rippled across the country.
Purple Haize wrote: July 10th, 2019, 6:13 pm
LUnpretty11 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:24 pm Malik is not transferring to play any position other than QB, so any other ideas or guessing can be put to bed. I spoke with several people connected to the program who have said Malik could be to Liberty what RGIII was to Baylor. Seems like quite the statement, but that is how talented this guy is. If the waiver is approved, there is a good chance he will take the starting spot this season.

Malik chose Liberty because of Freeze. This is a perfect example as to the recruiting ability of our new head coach. Even if he doesn't pan out, this is a massive get for Liberty.
RG3 wouldn’t have been beaten out by 2 other QB’s
Expected some cheek from you, fair enough.

The comparison highlights Malik's talent/potential to be the best QB Liberty has had to date. I think we would all agree that previous honor would have gone to Buckshot (create debate here).
It's been too many years for me to remember his name, but in the 1980s or 1990s we had a QB transfer from UF or FSU who was built more like a tight end than a QB, but he had some amazing years for LU. I bet Oldflame or some other old timers with better memories will remember his name.
Willis - i think odds are less than 2 percent he gets a waiver after the recent NCAA meetings - they are trying to clamp down and other than losing an OC - nothing to really claim - pretty sure he knows that and is just throwing a dart to see if it sticks. I think he needs to sit a year and rebuild his throwing motion and accuracy. Love the fact he is an honor student and apparently a real good kid. Bennett on tape vs him on tape - Bennett the much better passer.
Cider Jim wrote: July 10th, 2019, 8:31 pm It's been too many years for me to remember his name, but in the 1980s or 1990s we had a QB transfer from UF or FSU who was built more like a tight end than a QB, but he had some amazing years for LU. I bet Oldflame or some other old timers with better memories will remember his name.
Antwan Chiles in 1993.
BuryYourDuke wrote: July 10th, 2019, 10:36 pm Seen plenty of big school transfers that were going to be the savior...and not be able to get on the field.
^^^^^^^This

He was supposed to be the Heir Apparent at Auburn. Went from 2nd string to Transfer out. In a system he had two years to learn.
LU 57 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 9:02 pm
Cider Jim wrote: July 10th, 2019, 8:31 pm It's been too many years for me to remember his name, but in the 1980s or 1990s we had a QB transfer from UF or FSU who was built more like a tight end than a QB, but he had some amazing years for LU. I bet Oldflame or some other old timers with better memories will remember his name.
Antwan Chiles in 1993.
Yep, he was from U of Florida and was a tremendous talent. Lived up to the hype 100%. He had the best throwing arm we have ever had at LU. Very accurate (especially long passes), and difficult to bring down. He was almost as big as most DL. Wore #8, won't ever forget that guy.
Marques jenkins transferred from ole miss. Could not see the field under DR or TG. Ron Hobby from pitt. Very limited playing time. Ryan best from GT...bust.

tg took and offered very few. Rocco had rashad pinnigis ausberry and sene immediately and were all big additions. Beecher was solid.

I agree with tyndal. His throwing motion looks awful to me. Im all for the competition but i gotta see a lot more to see him beating out buckshot or JB.
As has been laid out before, the ideal scenario would be , Willis sits out a year, starts in 2020 and 2021, and then Bennet is the starter in 22 and 23. The most important impact of this transfer is program momentum as Pretty laid out, and QB competition. No one in that room can be complacent with their place on the team anymore.
thepostman wrote: July 11th, 2019, 8:50 am Exactly, the likelihood hood of the NCAA allowing him go play this year is so slim but having a talent of this caliber around is never a bad thing. He will have a whole year go get to know HF's system and then 2 years to show us what he can do.
I think Willis was eyeballing the 2020 & 21 schedules when he tweeted.
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but when LU played Auburn last year, Malik Willis saw some action. He ran for 16 yards and passed for 13 yards. See the box score below.

https://www.liberty.edu/wwwadmin/global ... Auburn.pdf
If you all haven't been following the Rutgers message board about Malik Willis's verbal commitment, you've got to check it out. Some of the funniest reading you will ever do.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threa ... qb.169809/
BuryYourDuke wrote: July 10th, 2019, 10:36 pm Seen plenty of big school transfers that were going to be the savior...and not be able to get on the field.
Star Jackson. He was a member of the legendary 2008 class at Bama. He went from Alabama to Georgia State and it never did work out for him. At one point he was the third team QB at Georgia State.
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]