Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Class of 20Something wrote:These kids are playing for free. Yes they get an education, but 3 years is the NFL requirement, so they set their eyes on the NFL, to FINALLY get paid for the product they produce. I will tell you all, if I were a talented athlete, playing your senior season is an unnecessary risk that could cost millions. I will not fault any of these young men for saying 3 three and out.
High enough on the draft board with a guarantee initial investment I would be in as well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The kid posting just entered the transfer portal to exit Blacksburg. So take it for what it is worth.

SJ - I recognize your thought process. But is it possible that fatalism can drive someone to assume naivete in others?
By Ewglenn
3 years and he wants to be in the NFL. Nothing wrong with that mindset. Hopefully he does do that because that means the 3 years he is here he is playing really well. As far as the “story” I’m assuming Maryland didn’t feel great about his size playing in the Big 10. It sounds like his friends feel like schools did him dirty not that he did anything in particular. I think it just happens to be a situation where we were a option that opened up where he thought he could excel and get to the NFL. HCHF has a history with that.
Class of 20Something wrote:These kids are playing for free. Yes they get an education, but 3 years is the NFL requirement, so they set their eyes on the NFL, to FINALLY get paid for the product they produce. I will tell you all, if I were a talented athlete, playing your senior season is an unnecessary risk that could cost millions. I will not fault any of these young men for saying 3 three and out.
All true, but those 4 stars mean nothing to the NFL, and as far as getting to play, they don't mean much more to HF. He will have to earn his snaps in practice and then produce at a very high level in games before pro football is even a possibility. His buddy apparently doesn't get that. Hopefully he does.
oldflame wrote:The 3 years is delusional football buddy talk. He's saying he will enter the draft as soon as he is eligible, which would be 3 years.
That is one possible explanation. The most optimistic for sure.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Here's another thought, what if Hugh Freeze is just that good of a recruiter and enticed the young man to think about or pray about coming to Liberty. Sometimes it can be easy to say wow this seems fishy when reality is simply this: Tavion chose LU because he thought it was the best fit for him. He chose LU over Maryland and VA Tech because he truly wanted to be there then those two schools. Let us enjoy this great effort and success by our coaching staff and leave the skepticism aside :D
+1
By Ewglenn
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:The 3 years is delusional football buddy talk. He's saying he will enter the draft as soon as he is eligible, which would be 3 years.
Y’all are so old on here lol. It is THE explanation, not a possible explanation. Haha
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Living in rke im surrounded by lots of hokies. Couple real objective ones said they were still pursuing both he and clark as of middle of last week. Maryland was clearly pursuing him. From what i hear immediate playing time was a huge selling factor.

With peters gone and creer not signing were left with bejour wilson and malik matthews as top 2 returners plus what we brought in earlier. He will likely start or at worst be 3rd corner if one of the jucos beat him out. I think none of us want to see malik matthews back there getting torched again.
Ewglenn wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Y’all are so old on here lol. It is THE explanation, not a possible explanation. Haha
You weren't suppose to say that! Let them enjoy their "upper hand" on the forum lol
Ewglenn wrote:If y’all want some interesting information:

If he were a Wake Forest commit he would be their 9th best recruit ever per 247. Let that sink in.
That is a big thudding!

Amazing for our coaches to pull this off so quickly.

So much easier to let go of the Gill era.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:

You weren't suppose to say that! Let them enjoy their "upper hand" on the forum lol
Tell me where my comment was in error?
By Ewglenn
Y’all are so old on here lol. It is THE explanation, not a possible explanation. Haha[/quote]

You weren't suppose to say that! Let them enjoy their "upper hand" on the forum lol[/quote][/quote]

Tell me where my comment was in error?[/quote]

Before I answer that, let me guess, you are over 40?
Ewglenn wrote:Y’all are so old on here lol. It is THE explanation, not a possible explanation. Haha
You weren't suppose to say that! Let them enjoy their "upper hand" on the forum lol[/quote][/quote]

Tell me where my comment was in error?[/quote]

Before I answer that, let me guess, you are over 40?[/quote]

That comment wasn’t directed at you. I know the 3 years NCAA/NFL rule. (Even know it was tested in court). There are several other explanations possible. I was saying oldflames was the most optimistic. And if the kid is playing so well he’s on the NFL radar as a 1st round pick by the time he’s a Junior that would be incredible
I’ve found out the “something” that made him want to come to Liberty.

He didn’t actually decommit from Maryland. They dropped him because they were worried he wouldn’t qualify. Many P5 leagues have rules on how many non-qualifiers they’re allowed to take and Maryland chose not to risk it. This would explain the “I heard what happened” tweet.

Like Freeze said today, once it became known Land’s recruitment was back open, we went after him hard. We are allowed to take non qualifiers with no conference rule against it (even though Gill chose not to). We took a chance on Land and gave him an opportunity after most of the P5 schools passed on him. This explains the positive tweets he said for our school.

It’s not yet fully determined if he we qualify for this fall or if he’ll have to gray shirt. Regardless, it’s such a great move by Freeze going after a talent like Land who is in that situation. There’s next to no risk and the upside is tremendous.

Here’s to hoping he qualifies or, if he doesn’t, that he’s able to turn things around and excel academically at Liberty.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’ve found out the “something” that made him want to come to Liberty.

He didn’t actually decommit from Maryland. They dropped him because they were worried he wouldn’t qualify. Many P5 leagues have rules on how many non-qualifiers they’re allowed to take and Maryland chose not to risk it. This would explain the “I heard what happened” tweet.

Like Freeze said today, once it became known Land’s recruitment was back open, we went after him hard. We are allowed to take non qualifiers with no conference rule against it (even though Gill chose not to). We took a chance on Land and gave him an opportunity after most of the P5 schools passed on him. This explains the positive tweets he said for our school.

It’s not yet fully determined if he we qualify for this fall or if he’ll have to gray shirt. Regardless, it’s such a great move by Freeze going after a talent like Land who is in that situation. There’s next to no risk and the upside is tremendous.

Here’s to hoping he qualifies or, if he doesn’t, that he’s able to turn things around and excel academically at Liberty.
I can totally live with that explanation. Makes sense and satisfies my curiosity. If LU can take the chance and get the reward rock on!
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’ve found out the “something” that made him want to come to Liberty.

Thank you for the information ... time to tutor up. Get him in summer classes and set the template early. Much easier to study without 5 am practices and the like.
By gerb
"I didn’t know I was signing today. That’s why I’m like this,” Land said, looking down at his casual school-day attire."

"I picked Liberty because the coaches were cool and they was real solid with me,” Land said. “All the other coaches were selling me dreams because of my height and stuff.”

https://pilotonline.com/sports/high-sch ... 75e0b.html
Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]