Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Just to be clear, the fact that a player may start his career as a walk-on does not mean he can't play. We have 4 current starters who fit that description: Sargeant, Isaacson, Rusens and Benton. In light of that, if you do use a scholarship for someone who has no other offers when you have 3 star players who want to come and no scholarship for them, you better be pretty sure that those guys were "hidden gems" and everyone else was missing the boat.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 1st, 2019, 4:41 pm Let's not forget about guys who commit as preferred walk-ons. There could be 1 or 2 of these guys already committed. The other unknown is that some of our current players who are buried on the depth chart may have already told HCHF they will transfer after the season. That could open up a few schollies.

I have a really good feeling about Antonio Barber and I have a sneaky suspicion about LaMareon James from Indian River HS who could be a major steal for us at DB. He is a teammate of two of our commits already(Lincorey Lucas & Cameron Hunter).

Daniel Moyer is probably a get for us and don't be surprised if Adrian Spellman 3 star DE from NC commits too. 247sports is predicting that. If true that indicates maybe a Jordan Bradford is a Preferred Walk-On. By the way, let's not forget Gabriel Fuster announces on Thursday as well. I had hoped we would get this kid since we offered him. Solid LB prospect and hard worker too.

All this to say, don't let the 24 commitments with only 1 more schollie to give fool you. Other things will happen when it is all said and done. Trust me.
I think you are right. One way or another, things will be worked out to get the players we really want in this class. Current players transferring out won't help us with the class limit of 25, but they will with the roster limit of 85, and we are going to need some of that. With no attrition, a recruiting class of 25 would put us at somewhere between 92 and 94 next year (I'm uncertain on the scholarship status of a couple of players).
tyndal23 wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 2:55 pm Should we make a run at Caylin Newton? Need 3 QB’s that can run and throw in this system at all times...
Is he in the transfer portal or on record as intending to transfer? If no on both of those, taking a run at him could get us in a heap of trouble
There is no need to bring in Caylin Newton for 4 reasons:

1. Malik Willis has two years of eligibility
2. JB will have 4 years now beginning next year
3. Pop Robinson will have 3 more
4. Sean Brown is coming in as the highest rated non-transfer qb we've ever signed.
tyndal23 wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 5:09 pm I only see one on that list that is a proven runner and thrower at the high school level...Sean Brown is another Buckshot.
:roll: You actually made that sound like getting a QB who has a skill set similar to the guy who is breaking every passing record in our books is a BAD thing. :roll:

I seriously question your initial premise that we "need" 3 cookie-cutter QBs of a certain type. If we did not have Willis, I would be intrigued by the possibility of getting Newton, but as things are, I highly doubt we will pursue him. For what it's worth, if he were to initiate contact and we do not actively recruit him, he could be a blue-shirt, and not count against this year's limit.
RPO is tough to stop with an accurate passing QB who is a run threat. IF you run them a lot, invariably 1 will get hurt and you need 3 “cookie cutter” types to keep from having to redesign your offense or scale back. JB only one on tape that is exceptional accuracy and can run. Newton has the college stats to back it up. We are currently running about 20% of HF playbook due having to scale back week 1 and 2 for BC - looks like he is getting better week 3 on...
The fact that HCHF offered Sean Brown should be enough for us who are skeptical of what the kid can do in our offense.

I do have high hopes for Malik Willis and could see him blossoming here in Freeze's system and then we would have JB for two years after that. I like our QB talent from here on out. Furthermore, we have no idea how good Sean Brown will be for us or any QB taken in 2021 or 2022.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 1:03 pm The fact that HCHF offered Sean Brown should be enough for us who are skeptical of what the kid can do in our offense.

I do have high hopes for Malik Willis and could see him blossoming here in Freeze's system and then we would have JB for two years after that. I like our QB talent from here on out. Furthermore, we have no idea how good Sean Brown will be for us or any QB taken in 2021 or 2022.
Regardless of how much or how effectively he has run in HS, I would expect Brown to be more of a dual threat than Buckshot because:
1. He's already 10 pounds heavier.
2. He knows going in he will be expected to run if the RPO read dictates it. He hasn't been coached not to for 3 years.

In addition, I believe HF also likes having at least one "gunslinger" in the QB room in the event an occasion arrives when it is needed.
Knowing that we have a commitment from a CB, which will almost certainly be revealed when Prunty announces tomorrow, this one confirms that the numbers we have been tracking don't indicate how many of our earlier commitments are scholarship players. My guess is 2 or 3 of them are PWOs.
oldflame wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 4:59 pm Knowing that we have a commitment from a CB, which will almost certainly be revealed when Prunty announces tomorrow, this one confirms that the numbers we have been tracking don't indicate how many of our earlier commitments are scholarship players. My guess is 2 or 3 of them are PWOs.
It's awesome to see almost what seems to be a race to secure a spot in this class. Recruits knocking down the door trying to come here. Night and day difference from even just the previous year.
If Karon Prunty commits on Friday then we will have 4 of the top 40 players in the 757 and 3 of the 4 are in the top 22. All of this is according to the main 757 newspaper called "The Pilot".

We were in the mix for a few others on that list too.

Cameron Hunter was rated #17
Gaberiel Fuster was rated #16
Lincorey Lucas was rated #22
Karon Prunty was rated #40

For the record: Tank Land was rated #4 in 2019 list. We went from 1 to 4 in one year of recruiting.
Last edited by FlamesHighontheTide on October 3rd, 2019, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 7:09 pm Update on 247 rankings:

Adding Gage Bassham(committed), Aakil Washington(committed) and Antonio Barber(simply cuz I think he commits soon) puts us in 75th with 140.3 points.
That is amazing. I was going to be happy with a top 100 class. Go from the 137th ranked class a year ago to this. Exciting times ahead.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]