Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Class of 20Something
I didn't want to clutter another thread with the discussion and felt player discussion fit better in the recruiting forum.

So the biggest question on offense is our starting OL.

my $.02

Crawford at Left Tackle
Chibuze at Left Guard
Sargeant at Center
Duff at Right Guard
Shultz at Right Tackle
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I didn't want to clutter another thread with the discussion and felt player discussion fit better in the recruiting forum.

my $.02

Crawford at Left Tackle
Chibuze at Left Guard
Sargeant at Center
Duff at Right Guard
Shultz at Right Tackle
Obviously all bets are off with a new staff, but the guy who was being groomed to take Lozano's place at LT is Cooper McCaw. A bit light at a listed 275 this year, but he will probably be 285 by next fall. He is probably the most athletic OL we have, and that is really important at LT. He actually saw most of his snaps last year as a TE in the Jumbo set. Crawford started at LG when he wasn´t hurt, but I agree Chibuze will probably challenge for that spot.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I didn't want to clutter another thread with the discussion and felt player discussion fit better in the recruiting forum.

my $.02

Crawford at Left Tackle
Chibuze at Left Guard
Sargeant at Center
Duff at Right Guard
Shultz at Right Tackle

Good luck with this thread. I posted the other day asking how many of the just signed recruits would get playing time in 2019, and did not receive any response. I figured the football gurus wuld jump all over it, with projections/predictions as to which freshmen would play.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With a new staff getting their first hands on with the players in several months, it is tough for anyone to speculate with authority.

I will tell you that I am jazzed about the potential of Mack finally being eligible.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As good as I believe Bennett is going to be, I have BC as the starter at QB to open the season, with Bennett backing him up. I trust that whoever the OC is, theyll have plays built for his athleticism and dual threat abilities.

Running back, i think it's largely going to be the Hickson and Mack show, but there definitely will be carries for Boyd and Pickett, especially the latter in short yardage and red zone situations.
Wide receiver...AGG will be the #1 and I would not be surprised if we get a few NFL scouts coming to check him out. Shaa will be back as well as Queen, Frith, Wood and Coleman. With the fact that he intends to essentially carry two full empty backfield sets at wideout, as long as we get improvement up front, we could be lighting up the scoresheet and scoreboard to be sure.

Im interested to see how he utilizes the tight end since historically they haven't gotten much play in the receiving game.

I'll offer my thoughts on the o-line and the defense later
By Dalegarz1
BJWilliams wrote: As good as I believe Bennett is going to be, I have BC as the starter at QB to open the season, with Bennett backing him up. I trust that whoever the OC is, theyll have plays built for his athleticism and dual threat abilities.

You may be right, but I think the opposite scenario is just as likely. Bennett is given the keys and Buckshot plays in "special" situations. In light of HCHF's offensive philosophy, why not let Bennett acclimate ASAP.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:BJWilliams wrote: As good as I believe Bennett is going to be, I have BC as the starter at QB to open the season, with Bennett backing him up. I trust that whoever the OC is, theyll have plays built for his athleticism and dual threat abilities.

You may be right, but I think the opposite scenario is just as likely. Bennett is given the keys and Buckshot plays in "special" situations. In light of HCHF's offensive philosophy, why not let Bennett acclimate ASAP.

The opposite scenario could happen, but to say it is ¨just as likely¨ is a pretty big stretch IMHO. You normally won´t see a true FR QB starting over a 3 year starter unless there is a HUGE talent disparity. I don´t see that here.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There will be playing time for Bennett. Coach said at press conference he wants opposing teams to have to spend time preparing for 2 QBs, or words to that effect. :football :football
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:Can´t believe I just noticed it, but why is this thread in the recruiting forum?
Literally the first line of the post. If Sly and them think it fits better in the parent forum they can move it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
OK, I will be the first to throw out a complete offensive starting lineup. Tons of speculation here, but that´s what fan forums are for, right?

OL is the possibly the hardest position for a young player to adjust to the college game, so I´m going to go with a veteren lineup.

LT Cooper McCaw
LG Ethan Crawford
C Thomas Sargent
RG D'onte Duff
RT Tristen Schultz
A lot of talent in that redshirt FR group, so one or more could certainly win a job in Spring Practice.

QB Buckshot
I know he isn't a perfect fit for Freeze's system, but I just don't see anyone beating him out.

RB Josh Mack
Probably our deepest position, and Frankie had a terrific year, but I'm hearing that Josh has emerged as the leader in the room, and what he did at Maine speaks for itself.

WR1 AGG
No brainer.

Slot receiver BJ Stubbs
Maybe not as explosive as Louis or Douglas, but he´s experienced and productive and as a former HS QB, he may be able to do some things that will make up for Buckshot´s limitations without taking him out of the lineup.

TE Johnnie Huntley
He´s a WR in a TE's body right now. If other WRs emerge, as I believe they will, he can be an awesome TE with WR speed and skills.

WR2 ?????????????
If Hunton ends up at TE as I am speculating, this will be a wide open competition. I´ll go with
CJ Yarborough (but it could be any one of about 4 or 5 guys).
Last edited by olldflame on December 21st, 2018, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Someone help me with the name of the RB who played sparingly this year but when he did play he did well. I can’t remember. But he was good. What’s his deal?
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:Someone help me with the name of the RB who played sparingly this year but when he did play he did well. I can’t remember. But he was good. What’s his deal?
Pickett? Pickett needs to be used like Marion Barber originally was for the Cowboys. 3rd Down/4th Quarter.

We could realistically give the rock to a different guy every quarter and have fresh legs all game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Someone help me with the name of the RB who played sparingly this year but when he did play he did well. I can’t remember. But he was good. What’s his deal?
Frank Boyd
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:
Frank Boyd
Ohhh I forgot about Boyd. Great day the RBs are stacked.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:When you say John Hunton, are you referring to Huntley? I just want to clarify who you are talking about.
Yeah, Huntley. Senior moment. :oldhag

Johnny Hunton was Liberty´s baseball coach many moons ago
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I agree with you Purple, that Boyd was impressive in his limited opportunities as a redshirt FR. I think he is on the rise, and may beat out Frankie to be Mack´s backup this year. I know there are some Pickett fans on here, but I see him as our 4th RB at best next year.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:OK, I will be the first to throw out a complete offensive starting lineup. Tons of speculation here, but that´s what fan forums are for, right?

OL is the possibly the hardest position for a young player to adjust to the college game, so I´m going to go with a veteren lineup.

LT Cooper McCaw
LG Ethan Crawford
C Thomas Sargent
RG D'onte Duff
RT Tristen Schultz
A lot of talent in that redshirt FR group, so one or more could certainly win a job in Spring Practice.

QB Buckshot
I know he isn't a perfect fit for Freeze's system, but I just don't see anyone beating him out.

RB Josh Mack
Probably our deepest position, and Frankie had a terrific year, but I'm hearing that Josh has emerged as the leader in the room, and what he did at Maine speaks for itself.

WR1 AGG
No brainer.

Slot receiver BJ Stubbs
Maybe not as explosive as Louis or Douglas, but he´s experienced and productive and as a former HS QB, he may be able to do some things that will make up for Buckshot´s limitations without taking him out of the lineup.

TE Johnnie Huntley
He´s a WR in a TE's body right now. If other WRs emerge, as I believe they will, he can be an awesome TE with WR speed and skills.

WR2 ?????????????
If Hunton ends up at TE as I am speculating, this will be a wide open competition. I´ll go with
CJ Yarborough (but it could be any one of about 4 or 5 guys).
Good analysis of the offense OF, my only disagreement is having Shaa at #1 for WR2 and Yarbrough as his backup. Definitely see Stubbs as the slot. He could give us some real explosiveness over the middle
By CCWMichael
Sly Fox wrote:With a new staff getting their first hands on with the players in several months, it is tough for anyone to speculate with authority.

I will tell you that I am jazzed about the potential of Mack finally being eligible.
Mack!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Pickett? Pickett needs to be used like Marion Barber originally was for the Cowboys. 3rd Down/4th Quarter.

We could realistically give the rock to a different guy every quarter and have fresh legs all game.
I want to say that was the guy. I just remember he came in one game and went off then......crickets. Then came in another game. Same thing. I commented on it at the time.
I don’t think it was Boyd
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:

I want to say that was the guy. I just remember he came in one game and went off then......crickets. Then came in another game. Same thing. I commented on it at the time.
I don’t think it was Boyd
I remember you commenting on Boyd in game threads. He averaged 5.4 yards/carry in limited action. Pickett did not play sparingly. He had over 100 carries, and averaged just over 4 yards.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]