Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Another chance to bring the haka to the mountain
Actually, that would be innacurate. Soni is Tongan. The haka is a traditional dance/chant of the Maori culture in New Zealand. Several Polynesian cultures have a similar custom however. The Tongan versian is known as the Kailao. In Samoa it is the Siva Tau. Even if we were to recruit several Polynesian players, I wouldn't really expect to see them doing it before a game at Liberty, although stranger things have happened.
oldflame wrote:
Actually, that would be innacurate. Soni is Tongan. The haka is a traditional dance/chant of the Maori culture in New Zealand. Several Polynesian cultures have a similar custom however. The Tongan versian is known as the Kailao. In Samoa it is the Siva Tau. Even if we were to recruit several Polynesian players, I wouldn't really expect to see them doing it before a game at Liberty, although stranger things have happened.
I didn't know it had different names in different cultures. I would be excited to see that tradition come to the mountain. Many of the pacific islands are "spiritual" but far from Christian. It's a huge mission field. I believe our new Coach Aigamaua is from American Samoa.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
oldflame wrote:
I didn't know it had different names in different cultures. I would be excited to see that tradition come to the mountain. Many of the pacific islands are "spiritual" but far from Christian. It's a huge mission field. I believe our new Coach Aigamaua is from American Samoa.
My understanding is that the position of the Christian communities in places like Tonga and Samoa runs the gambit from totally regecting the dance as a part of their pagan past to embracing it as a seperate and unique part of their modern culture which is, lets face it, really cool. 8)
By CCWMichael
Class of 20Something wrote:
oldflame wrote:
There is much Christian faith in the Polynesian cultures. A fundamental part of Polynesian culture today. Many do accept the old traditions as what they are traditions. Yes, like any other part of the world some preachers are all fire and brimstone but they don't do to well for some reason.
And, just like anywhere else there are those who were taught the fears and laws and not the love and acceptance and are difficult to bring back to the fold.
this comes from first hand knowledge in some Polynesian areas. I also belive there is a meber to yhis site that also resides in the Hawaiian and can probably second this.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]