Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

cruzan_flame13 wrote:This is going to be interesting and I wonder how beneficial this will be to help LU during future recruiting:

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1557321
This could hurt us as much as help us. We have a culture that not everyone loves once they get here. With nothing stopping them from leaving, some guys may bail quicker than they would’ve in the past.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:This is going to be interesting and I wonder how beneficial this will be to help LU during future recruiting:

This could hurt us as much as help us. We have a culture that not everyone loves once they get here. With nothing stopping them from leaving, some guys may bail quicker than they would’ve in the past.
It would be useless for a player who would come here and expect to not have rules that are a bit stricter than other programs. That player has to be blind, deaf and gullible if they’ve not heard of the LU environment from bias media’s or word of mouth. I will add that they’re a lot of good players who wanted to go to a Christian school who plays at the fbs level, but there’s also players who want to attend a school that has some accountability. All it takes is the right recruiting, the right coach and staff and the right motivational vision. At this moment we have maybe one and a half of that(the recruiting is a bit better and the vision seems to be a bit forgotten in a way [my opinion]) and it seems mediocre at the moment.
Look at the average turnover rate of our students in general. It’s high. People from all walks of life choose to come here knowing the culture and then get here and realize they don’t actually like it. To hold an athlete or a coaching staff to a different standard and blaming them for a kid not realizing he/she isn’t a fit for the school until after they get here is a lazy double standard.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Look at the average turnover rate of our students in general. It’s high. People from all walks of life choose to come here knowing the culture and then get here and realize they don’t actually like it. To hold an athlete or a coaching staff to a different standard and blaming them for a kid not realizing he/she isn’t a fit for the school until after they get here is a lazy double standard.
Never blamed a coach or staff in my statement. I just said you need the right people and athletes to create something. I also pointed that athletes should know somewhat of what they’re getting themselves into because the Liberty Way is usually the first thing that people mention once LU is in conversation. I’m not sure if you even read my message because you would’ve seen that. Not one is higher than the other. The athlete needs a coach and staff that will motivate them to their full potential(was told by formal athletes that Gill was not really that kind of coach although a decent guy) and the coach needs the athlete to gain success as a leader. Also it’s fine if an athletes attends the school and then wants to transfer. As I said before, if the athlete want to live the exotic/ more “free” life,even a little of it, then LU shouldn’t be a main option to continue their athletic career.
If I understand correctly, the old rule did not prevent players from transferring and playing at another school after sitting a year, even on the RARE occasions when their former school did not release them from their scholarship. What it did do was prohibit them from being on scholarship at the new school during the year they sat out, which was IMHO borderline draconian. That would no longer happen.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

It would be useless for a player who would come here and expect to not have rules that are a bit stricter than other programs. That player has to be blind, deaf and gullible if they’ve not heard of the LU environment from bias media’s or word of mouth. I will add that they’re a lot of good players who wanted to go to a Christian school who plays at the fbs level, but there’s also players who want to attend a school that has some accountability. All it takes is the right recruiting, the right coach and staff and the right motivational vision. At this moment we have maybe one and a half of that(the recruiting is a bit better and the vision seems to be a bit forgotten in a way [my opinion]) and it seems mediocre at the moment.
Source?
JK37 wrote:Cruzan, LU has had coaches blatantly lie about the Liberty Way, and/or do all in their power to hide it.
Indeed we have. Thankfully, none currently that I am aware of. Setting aside the dishonesty and deceit of it, it was not a smart or successful strategy. We do better when we target recruits who project to thrive in the culture.
oldflame wrote:
JK37 wrote:Cruzan, LU has had coaches blatantly lie about the Liberty Way, and/or do all in their power to hide it.
Indeed we have. Thankfully, none currently that I am aware of. Setting aside the dishonesty and deceit of it, it was not a smart or successful strategy. We do better when we target recruits who project to thrive in the culture.
Do you guys know who did that? I’m just curious.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Yes. 8)
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Yep. Across multiple sports
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
thepostman wrote:Turner Gill obviously :)
Actually from the mouth of actual recruits that I’ve looked at throughout the years. I don’t need Gill to say that. I forgot it’s you post that made the comment, so not surprised there.
The bolded part made me chuckle.
jinxy wrote:1 should be a softball. Hes the most debated name in flamefans history to accomplish almost nothing. I cant say more or it will trigger haize with his responding comment. It probably will anyway ha
Moi? :o
jinxy wrote:1 should be a softball. Hes the most debated name in flamefans history to accomplish almost nothing. I cant say more or it will trigger haize with his responding comment. It probably will anyway ha
The coach in question here did recruit a number of players who fit in at Liberty just fine, but the bottom line was, if he had a chance to sign a kid who did not, but he thought would make us better, he didn´t care, and he had a 3 part strategy.

1) Pretend the Liberty Way did not exist and hope the recruit never found out. Failing that......
2) Make light of it. ´It´s not that big a deal. You´ll be fine¨. Then when they arrive and find out it actually is....
3) Actively ¨educate¨ them as to how to get around it. Part 3 sometimes actually began during the recruiting process as a supplement to part 2.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]