Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

oldflame wrote:And he WILL be enrolling next month after flip-flopping on that. I suspect HF got in his ear and said he really wanted him in Spring Preactice if it was possible for him to graduate.
So I was right! He was flip flopping!! :wink:
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:And he WILL be enrolling next month after flip-flopping on that. I suspect HF got in his ear and said he really wanted him in Spring Preactice if it was possible for him to graduate.
Careful you're sounding like ballcoach now with the self-congratulations.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The guy from NC State who went to Appy St was one of the names being tossed around as to the new LU coach, if my memory is correct. I had faith in Coach Freeze all along. (since January actually)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The guy from NC State who went to Appy St was one of the names being tossed around as to the new LU coach, if my memory is correct. I had faith in Coach Freeze all along. (since January actually)
That timeline keeps moving.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:The guy from NC State who went to Appy St was one of the names being tossed around as to the new LU coach, if my memory is correct. I had faith in Coach Freeze all along. (since January actually)
That timeline keeps moving.
January 1987 that is
By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote:
I think it is the posted presser on signing day where Freeze stated he told him and the family he wanted him here to learn the system. I'd imagine with the potential explosive O about to be bestowed upon us this kid does not want to miss a chance to compete for the starting role.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Makes sense...as long as he doesnt end up like Mike Brown and becomes 90% of our offense. Anyone from before my time remember Antwan (sp?) Chiles?
By CCWMichael
BJWilliams wrote:Makes sense...as long as he doesnt end up like Mike Brown and becomes 90% of our offense. Anyone from before my time remember Antwan (sp?) Chiles?
Looking at the offensive history of Freeze I suspect we will be utilizing many options. Especially since we have a BEAST at RB for next year.
By LU 57
BJWilliams wrote:Makes sense...as long as he doesnt end up like Mike Brown and becomes 90% of our offense. Anyone from before my time remember Antwan (sp?) Chiles?
Very well actually. Lost a very close competition with Travis Wilemon for the starting job his first year on campus. However he became the starter after game 3 I believe.

Anyway, Antwan was a Parade All-American as a LB but wanted to play QB. Spurrier was willing to give him a shot at QB but he was behind eventual Heisman trophy winner Danny Wuerffel so he transferred to LU. Had a pretty nice career but would have been a better LB in my opinion. He was built like a Mack truck and could really run before his knee got messed up.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote:
Very well actually. Lost a very close competition with Travis Wilemon for the starting job his first year on campus. However he became the starter after game 3 I believe.

Anyway, Antwan was a Parade All-American as a LB but wanted to play QB. Spurrier was willing to give him a shot at QB but he was behind eventual Heisman trophy winner Danny Wuerffel so he transferred to LU. Had a pretty nice career but would have been a better LB in my opinion. He was built like a Mack truck and could really run before his knee got messed up.
Undoubtedly the strongest arm I have ever seen at LU. He was an absolute stud for sure. I would say he was the best QB LU has ever had. He didn't have a lot of help around him.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Local newspaper article about Coach Freeze convincing Bennett to start school in January:

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... 3fcac.html
This is a pretty good indication that Freeze has a good idea that Bennett will take quite a few snaps this year. Obviously there is no guarantee, but it doesn't sound like Bennett will be redshirting... This could get interesting depending on Bennett's performance when he gets his shots.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In the N&A Freeze/Bennett article I posted above, this was the all caps teaser on the front page of the hard copy paper this morning (I think they are trying to sell more papers by creating a 'controversy'):
QUARTERBACK BATTLE
LOOMING AT LIBERTY
By Jonathan Carone
Kricket wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Local newspaper article about Coach Freeze convincing Bennett to start school in January:

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... 3fcac.html
This is a pretty good indication that Freeze has a good idea that Bennett will take quite a few snaps this year. Obviously there is no guarantee, but it doesn't sound like Bennett will be redshirting... This could get interesting depending on Bennett's performance when he gets his shots.
And everyone thought I was crazy for saying Calvert wasn't likely to get 95% of the snaps next year. Freeze straight up said he'd use both of them if he though Bennett could provide a change of pace.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:He'll have spring to earn his snaps. Both QBs will be learning a new system together. I still like Buck as a senior finishing strong.
I guess we will quickly see who has the higher football IQ.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: And everyone thought I was crazy for saying Calvert wasn't likely to get 95% of the snaps next year. Freeze straight up said he'd use both of them if he though Bennett could provide a change of pace.
I only remember Purple directly contradicting what you said. I sure hope his views don't represent the majority of this board. :lol:
By cruzan_flame13
Kricket wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote: And everyone thought I was crazy for saying Calvert wasn't likely to get 95% of the snaps next year. Freeze straight up said he'd use both of them if he though Bennett could provide a change of pace.
I only remember Purple directly contradicting what you said. I sure hope his views don't represent the majority of this board. :lol:
In PH’s mind, it probably does :D

On a real note, anyone who will make an impact should play. Years on the team shouldn’t depict who should gain more reps; glad Freeze is the coach now(not saying that Gill was doing that).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote:
Yeah I contradicted him. But then I kinda sorta backed off. I thought it might be wise to take advantage of the 4 game red shirt rule
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Barring injury, both QBs will play.
November 2019, no matter how much each plays: “I said they would both play; I never said how much they would play.”
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Did anyone say how much each would play ? I don't think so.
You definitely did not say how much. Which was my point. You made such a broad prediction just so you can claim later, “I was right!” Even if Bennett plays one snap, you’ll take credit.

Kudos for call on Freeze. You nail that one.
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]