Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Coach Gill's pic was on the front page of the local paper today, which directed you to a huge article in the sports section about how his recruiting as an FBS school has changed:
Gill said he and his staff have received warmer welcomes than in years past, when the Flames were members of the second-tier Football Championship Subdivision and most prospects would not entertain Liberty coaches during the early recruiting periods.

“This year has been good because there’s been a lot of exposure for a lot of different reasons about Liberty — sometimes good, sometimes not so good — but you’ve heard of it,” Gill said. “The first year I was here, you didn’t know about Liberty.”
http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... 0cf08.html
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
"Most of the JUCO transfers are incoming juniors, which loads up the 2019 senior class. It was by design for Gill, who will have 22 or 23 seniors in the class in what will be Liberty’s first season of bowl eligibility."

Seems like I remember reading ODU coach Wilder recommended this approach to Gill shortly after we got FBS.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:How does exhausting a players eligibility sneak up on you?
I wondered the same thing. Someone dropped the ball, or shall I say fumbled it.
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:"Most of the JUCO transfers are incoming juniors, which loads up the 2019 senior class. It was by design for Gill, who will have 22 or 23 seniors in the class in what will be Liberty’s first season of bowl eligibility."

Seems like I remember reading ODU coach Wilder recommended this approach to Gill shortly after we got FBS.
I just can't wait for that 2019 offense. Buckshot, AGG, Huntley, and Mack. That is going to be a potent force. Combine that with a 4-2-5 defense and we are BigXII ready.
By Jonathan Carone
“Being able to play at the highest level, that’s kind of a huge thing for a lot of people, and the other part of it is the Christian environment that we have,” Gill said. “A lot of people are saying playing at the highest level and being in a Christian environment, that’s something that I’ve always wanted and dreamed about and Liberty’s going to be able to give that to me, so I want to check it out.”
This quote is most definitely true. There are players who would be interested in Liberty and everything that comes with it (rules, environment, etc) if it came with FBS football but the things that come with Liberty aren't worth it if it's only FCS football.
By Jonathan Carone
flamehunter wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:How does exhausting a players eligibility sneak up on you?
I wondered the same thing. Someone dropped the ball, or shall I say fumbled it.
Wide receiver Cephas Reddick, who was expected to play a significant role as a slot receiver in the upcoming season, has exhausted his eligibility and is no longer a member of the football team.

Reddick attended a junior college for one year and then transferred to Liberty where he spent the past four years. Under NCAA guidelines, Reddick had five years to play four, which included the one year at the junior college.

“We didn’t catch that,” Gill said. “It’s something we caught up to late.”
That's terrible.
By cruzan_flame13
Jonathan Carone wrote:
“Being able to play at the highest level, that’s kind of a huge thing for a lot of people, and the other part of it is the Christian environment that we have,” Gill said. “A lot of people are saying playing at the highest level and being in a Christian environment, that’s something that I’ve always wanted and dreamed about and Liberty’s going to be able to give that to me, so I want to check it out.”
This quote is most definitely true. There are players who would be interested in Liberty and everything that comes with it (rules, environment, etc) if it came with FBS football but the things that come with Liberty aren't worth it if it's only FCS football.
I'm thinking of a 2019 prospect name Jeremy James. I believe that he's a 3 or 4 star and his father played at LU back in the day as #85.
By cruzan_flame13
I'm looking back at the signing day show from February, and I have to say that we have some pretty interesting guys that were here and coming in this summer! I hope their skills improve drastically and I hope the incoming freshman squad increase their football iq. As I can see, offense is hotter than last season(plus having an extra leader in John Huntley hyping up the offense) and some improvement on the defense (more work on the run). I'm glad that they recruited more JUCO's for this class so that we can make an impact during our first FBS season. I'm hoping that we can tackle more HS seniors for the next class though.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Wide receiver Cephas Reddick, who was expected to play a significant role as a slot receiver in the upcoming season, has exhausted his eligibility and is no longer a member of the football team.

Reddick attended a junior college for one year and then transferred to Liberty where he spent the past four years. Under NCAA guidelines, Reddick had five years to play four, which included the one year at the junior college.

“We didn’t catch that,” Gill said. “It’s something we caught up to late.”
That's terrible.
That is classic Gill. Seriously, if you were to invent a perfect microcosm of his leadership here, this would be it.
Not a good look, but IMHO, of all the people who should have known Riddick´s eligibility was up, Gill would certainly not be first on the list. That would be Cephus Riddick, followed closely by his position coach. Keep in mind, he was not recruited to LU. He was in school, playing intermural flag football, and some friends recommended he try out as a walkon.

I highly doubt it would have changed a thing in our recruiting if we had known earlier. Slot receiver is one of the deepest positions on the team, and we signed one (Sean Queen) as it was.
Last edited by olldflame on June 5th, 2018, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: of all the people who should have known Riddick´s eligibility was up ................................ That would be Cephus Riddick
My first thought :idea:
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Not something to blame gill on. Theres plenty but thats not one. Should start with the player. Worst thing is it might cause us to burn queens redshirt but that might not be so bad since both reddick and king would have graduated this year and youd like To have a little experience at slot for 2019 with the rest of what will be a veteran laden offense.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Reddick was 2nd on the depth chart last year, and was productive, but Stubbs was a true FR and was also dinged up much of the year. I think he would have challenged Cephus for the backup spot behind King if he had returned.

Likely depth chart at the slot position:

King
Stubbs
Matthews
Queen/McConnell
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I wonder if Sean Queen gets redshirted along with a number of incoming freshmen. Kevin Shaa will play before Queen at the slot anyway.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Totally forgot about shaa. Good call. I would think he would be redshirted but hes going to be one of the fastest kids on the team, queen that is.

Little scuttle out there about a highly rated qb commitment or visit. Im getting thrown bread crumbs.
By cruzan_flame13
jinxy wrote:Totally forgot about shaa. Good call. I would think he would be redshirted but hes going to be one of the fastest kids on the team, queen that is.

Little scuttle out there about a highly rated qb commitment or visit. Im getting thrown bread crumbs.
hopefully you'll receive more info if this is true. I believe I was told someone made a visit some time ago but don't take my word by 100% on that statement.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
My guy wont tell me anymore. I did see a tweet from trey johnson this morning similar to what i was told yesterday. Nothing else though.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]