Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Serious question: how often did Gill recruit 2 years in advance?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
That's a good question and I don't have any knowledge about individual recruits except for Ryland Goede. He visited campus and reached out to the football staff his sophomore year. He was told to wait another year and they would take a look at him. His parents were both LU alumni (they were disappointed at the lack of attention he received when he was getting the attention from ACC & SEC schools). He had offers from other schools at that time but the LU staff was not interested. He signed to play football and baseball at the University of Georgia and enrolled in school this month to get a head start on his freshman season this fall.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Freeze has proven how inept the prior staff was already. The amount of talent he has gotten on campus within a month is as much as gills staff did all year. When they have a full cycle i think its going to be impressive.

Add the goede story, jesse hanson story and near botch with monday and you see a trend.
Last edited by jinxy on January 26th, 2019, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Gill certainly did a poor job of coaching/recruiting, etc. I am happy to see the better talent being recruited. I just hope that we don't forget/ lose the mission of the university in the process. It is a fine line and must be managed consistently/carefully.
flameshaw wrote:Gill certainly did a poor job of coaching/recruiting, etc. I am happy to see the better talent being recruited. I just hope that we don't forget/ lose the mission of the university in the process. It is a fine line and must be managed consistently/carefully.
Many young men are walking the redemption line. Give em' a chance and try to build them into men.All Universities should be doing this and many do but we do have an extra edge to put that development to the forefront.
Mission accomplished if we take searching souls and develop them into CHAMPIONS.
CCWMichael wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Gill certainly did a poor job of coaching/recruiting, etc. I am happy to see the better talent being recruited. I just hope that we don't forget/ lose the mission of the university in the process. It is a fine line and must be managed consistently/carefully.
Many young men are walking the redemption line. Give em' a chance and try to build them into men.All Universities should be doing this and many do but we do have an extra edge to put that development to the forefront.
Mission accomplished if we take searching souls and develop them into CHAMPIONS.
+1. BTW, I know you are facing some physical battles. Every time I see you post, I say a prayer for you. God bless my friend.
By tyndal23
I completely disagree on Gill not recruiting well at FCS level and even last year I think he did a great job with JUCO. I don’t think there was a single FCS team we played that you could honestly say we didn’t have equal or superior talent. I know his perception was all aloof on some local talent that we should have landed - but overall lack of talent wasn’t an issue under his tenure. He left Freeze a really nice base to work from and of course our talent level is going to go up the longer we are in FBS. Will Freeze be a much bigger recruiter - obviously.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:I completely disagree on Gill not recruiting well at FCS level and even last year I think he did a great job with JUCO. I don’t think there was a single FCS team we played that you could honestly say we didn’t have equal or superior talent. I know his perception was all aloof on some local talent that we should have landed - but overall lack of talent wasn’t an issue under his tenure. He left Freeze a really nice base to work from and of course our talent level is going to go up the longer we are in FBS. Will Freeze be a much bigger recruiter - obviously.
We most definately did not have "equal or superior talent" to Jacksonville State in our 2 blowout losses. I do basically agree that the last couple of years we did a decent job recruiting overall and better than that in the JUCO area, all with a minimum of off field issues.
Gill was good at getting talent here but his first 4-5 years they weren't good at putting together actual classes and doing roster management. They just started getting better at it in the last year or two.

If you look at what Freeze is trying to do and the numbers he's carrying at each position, you'll see how poorly we constructed the past teams from a roster standpoint.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Complete agreement. The way the d line was handled was the worst of all. Frankly qb as well. We had no depth at all at either position. Thankfully we stayed mostly healthy the last couple years there.
flameshaw wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:
+1. BTW, I know you are facing some physical battles. Every time I see you post, I say a prayer for you. God bless my friend.
Thank you for the prayers. I have no doubt that intercessionary prayer has be working in my journey.
God Bless.
I do believe we could have just as easily lost to Idaho State.
We have talent and a good amount of fight to stay in with everybody but Auburn.
We need more speed -- we are not that fast.
We need bigger boys but this is not novel as the Freeze stated so and is bringing the heat on getting them in.
We need guys with smarts to understand their role on the field and play it. Nom brainer but I think we lack that in a few areas.
Also, we do have some stout talent just not the depth with it.
Can't wait to see if the kid from Maine tears it up this year, great distraction for the open air game.
We have a few D players I just can't wait to see how they developed in the off season Ajayi, Chibueze, Elefante, Lemonier, and Lewis.
Our O line was very good with some fantastic moments. We can keep building on that ... winner, winner, chicken dinner.
I don't follow recruiting a lot until LOI comes off fax machine, but I have 2 questions:

How many scholarships do we have to give on February signing day ?

When is the "dead period" between now and signing day ?
ballcoach, not sure on how many schollies we have left but I am assuming that Coach Freeze knew before we did that he would have an extra due to Emmanuel Cater transferring.

The dead period doesn't begin till Monday February 4th and runs till the 7th, which means there is still one more weekend for official visits on the table for guys like Christian Harris, Jonathan Boyd(which he has already locked us down for an official) or anyone else that they may try and bring on campus.

It is going to be a fun last two weeks before the final signing day.
CCWMichael wrote:I do believe we could have just as easily lost to Idaho State.
We have talent and a good amount of fight to stay in with everybody but Auburn.
We need more speed -- we are not that fast.
We need bigger boys but this is not novel as the Freeze stated so and is bringing the heat on getting them in.
We need guys with smarts to understand their role on the field and play it. Nom brainer but I think we lack that in a few areas.
Also, we do have some stout talent just not the depth with it.
Can't wait to see if the kid from Maine tears it up this year, great distraction for the open air game.
We have a few D players I just can't wait to see how they developed in the off season Ajayi, Chibueze, Elefante, Lemonier, and Lewis.
Our O line was very good with some fantastic moments. We can keep building on that ... winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Just a minor correction. Although he played both ways in HS and some scouts had suggested he could/should be a college NG, we recruited Henry Chibueze as an OL, and he is listed as such on our roster. I am also excited about the potential of our OL. Almost everyone back plus those 5 HUGE FR who redshirted last year and anyone we add in this class to push them. Fully understand HF wanting his own guys, but big props to coach Stamn for righting the ship in a position group that had been a major weakness for years.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:ballcoach, not sure on how many schollies we have left but I am assuming that Coach Freeze knew before we did that he would have an extra due to Emmanuel Cater transferring.

The dead period doesn't begin till Monday February 4th and runs till the 7th, which means there is still one more weekend for official visits on the table for guys like Christian Harris, Jonathan Boyd(which he has already locked us down for an official) or anyone else that they may try and bring on campus.

It is going to be a fun last two weeks before the final signing day.
Thanks, HighonTide.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Next 24 to 48 hrs are huge. We will likely find out where we are on knight plus a lot of the group from last week.

Williams added another offer from arkansas state today. Glover and the lb edwards appear to be locks to louisville. Hicks visited ecu. Buys is still at a stand still and knight just visited. Harris is coming off lafeyyette visit so im sure he will be in next weekend.

Manson you hearing anything on bannerman. I wonder if we are in a holding pattern with him until here on hicks. Much like once we didnt get the HS De to commit last week so we moved back to christian harris.

Also saw emmanuel logan greene committed to new mexico. Wonder where the lead came from and gamon howard unlv. He was a hot target for peior staff

I think we need knight, hicks or bannerman, 2 of 3 of buys boyd and williams and then christian harris. I would think we did real well if that happens.
A Sea of Red wrote:Only 2 visitors this past weekend - Maisen Knight and Chris Megginson. One more weekend for visits before next Wednesday's signing day.
Speaking of Meg, did Lynchburg get poached by any of the other FBS schools on any 2019 recruits? I think we got the two that mattered.
We are 9 days from the final signing day.

Just some fun predictions:

1. We land 3 of the 4 lineman we are pursuing (Maisen Knigt 3 star, Jonathan Boyd 3 star & Carson Williams)

2. We pull in Christian Harris 3 star & Marcus Harris 3 star

3. Twitter LU recruiting sensation Terry Lambert never makes it to the Burg.

4. We pull in 1 grad transfer

5. We pull in one surprise recruit that none of us knew was coming aka Emanuel Dabney (3 star juco DB) from first signing period.

6. General Booty 2021 qb enrolls 2 years early and massacres Buckshot in the qb competition to earn QB1 and is dubbed greatest QB name in history.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:We are 9 days from the final signing day.

Just some fun predictions:

1. We land 3 of the 4 lineman we are pursuing (Maisen Knigt 3 star, Jonathan Boyd 3 star & Carson Williams)

2. We pull in Christian Harris 3 star & Marcus Harris 3 star

3. Twitter LU recruiting sensation Terry Lambert never makes it to the Burg.

4. We pull in 1 grad transfer

5. We pull in one surprise recruit that none of us knew was coming aka Emanuel Dabney (3 star juco DB) from first signing period.

6. General Booty 2021 qb enrolls 2 years early and massacres Buckshot in the qb competition to earn QB1 and is dubbed greatest QB name in history.
I think I like the Buckshot-Booty combo :shock:

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]