Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Weird. Juco qb and 5”8 juco wrs. On paper not too impressive.

Not sure if Manson´s post means they are visiting this weekend or just that we have offered. Louis is a burner. Track guy. Not much info on the QB, but he was listed as a Pro style out of HS. I´m guessing if they sign someone like that it would be more a matter of not being comfortable with the current backup options than actually looking for someone to challenge Buckshot.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Another Georgia recruit. That new assistant coach is on it! :clapping
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I get the qb a little more. Probably experience with rpo. Cunningham looked real weak and bennett will be a true frosh. Not sure robinson is ready either.

As far as slot wrs go. I dont see juco slot wr as a need at all. I would rather keep king and pair him with stubbs for another year and then get douglas and develop him as kr and slot guy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:I get the qb a little more. Probably experience with rpo. Cunningham looked real weak and bennett will be a true frosh. Not sure robinson is ready either.

As far as slot wrs go. I dont see juco slot wr as a need at all. I would rather keep king and pair him with stubbs for another year and then get douglas and develop him as kr and slot guy.
We really don´t know if keeping King will be an option. He has graduated, and could transfer anywhere and play immediatly. In any event, strange as it seems, a HS slot receiver we sign now and redshirt would only have to compete with Stubbs for one season. Hard to believe he will be a JR already next year. I can see us signing 2 slots, a FR and a JUCO.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
My fault. That makes more sense. Still dont get 2 juco slots with stubbs and queen plus potentially adding douglas as well.

Saw they dropped an offer on a ol last night fromm miss that has 5 or 6 offers. The lunsford kid got offered and immediately committed to maryland so that took him off the board.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Am I missing something? Where's the JuCo QB that you guys are referencing. Aubrey Williams is projected to be a Safety and is a former Navy commit. He's not a juCo.
Looks like there are 3 recruits out there named Aubrey Williams. One is a JUCO QB.
By LU 57
oldflame wrote:
ballah09 wrote:Am I missing something? Where's the JuCo QB that you guys are referencing. Aubrey Williams is projected to be a Safety and is a former Navy commit. He's not a juCo.
Looks like there are 3 recruits out there named Aubrey Williams. One is a JUCO QB.
Sounds like it is the safety who just de committed from Navy. Looks solid.

Truth be told I was hoping we were trying to bring in another QB. As evidenced in this video, Coach Freeze puts a lot on the QB:

Maybe BC is a fit, but maybe not. With Bennett deciding not to enroll early, I would feel better having another guy that is more of a threat with his feet.
Apparently both, Treon and Shedro were both enrolled at Akron and came in last years class. On one of their fan boards both of them were mentioned as non-qualifiers last year. A non-qualifier for those who may no know is when the NCAA clearinghouse doesn't clear them for athletics. This is an excerpt about the rule, "According to the NCAA, a prospect’s status as a non-qualifier should not prevent them from enrolling in school. As a non-qualifier, a student-athlete is prohibited from receiving an athletic scholarship, practicing with the team, and playing in games. They are not prohibited from being admitted to the school, attending classes, or even receiving some athletic department benefits like tutoring, training room services, and free tickets to home athletic events. Prop–48 kids, as they used to be called, were basically allowed to enroll at whatever school they wanted, provided they could pay their own way and focused on just school for a year."

On that same Akron fan board both of these guys were being mentioned as part of the class for 2019, however obviously things have changed due to Bowden being let go and them being here for an official visit. It would seem to me that because they were not cleared that they could be eligible immediately instead of having to sit out BUT I may be mistaken on that.
By Ethall15
Registration Days Posts
Really people... Buckshot is the all-time TD leader at the school and has one more season. A coach can fit his scheme around a QB like buckshot especially one like HF. Buckshot will be the QB and anyone who questions it is crazy. He took a big step up in opponents against. Does he not always make the best decision at times, well yes... but that was because D1 defenses hide their coverages better than any teams in College Football. Bennett as I have said is our Qb of the future. Stop doubting buckshot people and stop expecting us to have won 8-9 games this year. Could it have happened? Yes. But the level of competition has increased drastically.
Ethall15 wrote:Really people... Buckshot is the all-time TD leader at the school and has one more season. A coach can fit his scheme around a QB like buckshot especially one like HF. Buckshot will be the QB and anyone who questions it is crazy. He took a big step up in opponents against. Does he not always make the best decision at times, well yes... but that was because D1 defenses hide their coverages better than any teams in College Football. Bennett as I have said is our Qb of the future. Stop doubting buckshot people and stop expecting us to have won 8-9 games this year. Could it have happened? Yes. But the level of competition has increased drastically.
You sound like the voice of reason. Are you sure you are in the right place? :lol:
Calvert will most definitely be the starting quarterback next year. But to think he’s going to take 95% of the snaps like he has the past two years is a bit shortsited. It would not surprise me if Freeze works in packages for Bennett, not because Calvert can’t play but because Bennett brings another dimension.

Think back to Chris Leak/Tim Tebow. I think we’ll see that dynamic.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Calvert will most definitely be the starting quarterback next year. But to think he’s going to take 95% of the snaps like he has the past two years is a bit shortsited. It would not surprise me if Freeze works in packages for Bennett, not because Calvert can’t play but because Bennett brings another dimension.

I don’t. I think he will still take 95% of the snaps. No need to make any minor changes. Either go big or go home
By LU 57
Ethall15 wrote:Really people... Buckshot is the all-time TD leader at the school and has one more season. A coach can fit his scheme around a QB like buckshot especially one like HF. Buckshot will be the QB and anyone who questions it is crazy. He took a big step up in opponents against. Does he not always make the best decision at times, well yes... but that was because D1 defenses hide their coverages better than any teams in College Football. Bennett as I have said is our Qb of the future. Stop doubting buckshot people and stop expecting us to have won 8-9 games this year. Could it have happened? Yes. But the level of competition has increased drastically.
He was 98 of 120 in QBR and tied for 1st in INTs in FBS, and had negative rushing yards. Never said that he should not be the guy, just entertaining the idea that there should be a competition. The good news is neither one of us will be making that call :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Some dates to keep in mind. Early signing period begins 12/19. It only lasts til 12/21 for HS recruits, but JUCO transfers can sign as late as 1/15 and still enroll for the Spring semester and participate in Spring practice. Late signing period begins 2/6 and technically goes through 4/1, although the vast majority sign on the first day. It will be interesting to see how many committments we add in the next 3 days.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Calvert will most definitely be the starting quarterback next year. But to think he’s going to take 95% of the snaps like he has the past two years is a bit shortsited. It would not surprise me if Freeze works in packages for Bennett, not because Calvert can’t play but because Bennett brings another dimension.

I don’t. I think he will still take 95% of the snaps. No need to make any minor changes. Either go big or go home
That only happens if Bennett shows he is ready for prime time and can make an impact in that role. Otherwise, I think he redshirts. We have some other athletes who could do some of those things. BJ Stubbs for one.
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

That only happens if Bennett shows he is ready for prime time and can make an impact in that role. Otherwise, I think he redshirts. We have some other athletes who could do some of those things. BJ Stubbs for one.
I could see him playing the 4 game max to Red Shirt. That gives him some experience without having to sit out every games. That way he has 4 years and basically a system set in place whereas now it’s the first year of a hybrid as LU waits for Freeze to replace Gills players/system with his own
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The little guy has break away speed and is hard to tackle. Reminds me of Darius McGhee in a football uniform. :clapping

From my limited knowledge I see no reason why BS will not start. However, if BS struggles and Freeze has a better athlete I see no reason why he would not make a change.
New reads for all players will make it interesting this year.
I hope our guys love football enough to put in heavy preseason learning.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Douglas in, seems as though Wilkins tweet would mean 2 of the 3 juco Db's committed between nixon, avery & creer. Creer's twitter is a little strange ha. Dude is really into his horoscope.

Hoped to get the Williams kid. His video was good. Indifferent on the juco WR's.

Looks like we will focus on landing a high school OL and a juco or 2 DL and possibly a juco OL in the late signing period. I'm sure we will look at more depending on what happens with this crew that was just in.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]