Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Scruggs could be just a matter of logistics. School is out and he’s not in town.
As mentioned before, there have been several Coaches at the school. But that would be expected if a team just won their 3rd straight State Title.
Scruggs was in town. There's a picture of him in the N&A sitting at the table when Graves signed with NC State.

Picture is in this article
Ok. I was just going by an earlier posting that said he was out of town. So much for that source! :D #fakenews. Ha

But I do know that a couple of P5 schools have been out there. One coach even got lectured on how bad their defense was and how awesome their offense was! That coach was told he better ‘tighten that up’ or else her husband was going to have a heart attack next season!
So much woe.

This class has meet the results of the past three years of recruiting ALREADY. We have raised the talent floor a lot. Sure we didn't outpace the top of G5. Why would you expect a team that isn't actually a bona fide FBS program to out recruit them? 10 months into a two year transition we are recruiting like we are in the bottom quarter of FBS teams. News Flash! WE ARE IN THE BOTTOM QUARTER OF FBS TEAMS! This class is exactly where it should be. How are we acting so spoiled. When LU get's it's hands on 3* recruits they shine. Lets look at what 3* players have done at Liberty.

Stubbs. Freshman contributor.
Best. Injured.
Calvert. lol.
Probert. About as good as can be expected.
Daniels. No longer with team.
King. Constant contributor.

We have what, five 3* signed yesterday. We just doubled the number of 3* guys on the team.

Who actually expected us to go out an get a class of fifteen 3*, a 4* or two, and fill the rest with 2*? Let's get realistic. We are a young program, we are recruiting against FBS schools now. This is a good class and we can build on it. We can still reign in Davis, and there will be other big recruits that waited too long for that big FBS offer that their window closed at their fall back.
Elijah Davis not signing was HUGE for us. He had ODU as #1 for a LONG time and even 247 predicted he would sign with them but Davis gave us a boost of encouragement in signing him in February due to him not signing with ODU.

VA Tech doesn't need him and WE DO!!!

Don't sleep on Swift Lyles or even Tyshaun Surratt (both of whom are 3 star QB's and both could be signing in February with us.

Let us not forget that in the past Gill and company have pulled off some NICE surprises on national signing day.

By the way, if you look at Noah Frith's highlights the kid is a STUD!!! If he puts on 15 pounds he could be AGG 2.0

and Yost and JT Wood are steals in my book when you watch their film.
Way too much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth over 3 of 22 commits not signing on the first day. I think some guys are forgetting it's a totally different landscape this year when it comes to signing. It's NOT just the 4 & 5 star guys who will be waiting til Feb., and recruits CAN sign today and tomorrow. I have no idea why he didn't sign yesterday, but I believe Suggs is pretty close to a sure thing. Weaver got an offer from a much higher profile program close to home. I don't blame him a bit for taking his time before signing. If on Feb 8 we don't have a total of at least 24, with one being a legit QB prospect, I will be a bit disappointed. Calling this class a failure at this point is agenda driven garbage.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have very subtly referenced my preference for Lyles & Riley in the past over Lynum. Honestly I believe both are a notch above based on the video and what we saw from these two during their runs to state title games in their respective states. I would be jazzed with either one and pleased with the other two we offered as well. Surratt & Robinson both look like great athletes that could help us whether it is at QB or elsewhere.
Sly Fox wrote:I have very subtly referenced my preference for Lyles & Riley in the past over Lynum. Honestly I believe both are a notch above based on the video and what we saw from these two during their runs to state title games in their respective states. I would be jazzed with either one and pleased with the other two we offered as well. Surratt & Robinson both look like great athletes that could help us whether it is at QB or elsewhere.
I was also sceptical that Lynum was the best fit for our system. Dailey has shown no inclination to utilize the running skills of a dual threat QB, and if you take that away, I don't see Lynum as a sure bet to be a future starter.
olldflame wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:I have very subtly referenced my preference for Lyles & Riley in the past over Lynum. Honestly I believe both are a notch above based on the video and what we saw from these two during their runs to state title games in their respective states. I would be jazzed with either one and pleased with the other two we offered as well. Surratt & Robinson both look like great athletes that could help us whether it is at QB or elsewhere.
I was also sceptical that Lynum was the best fit for our system. Dailey has shown no inclination to utilize the running skills of a dual threat QB, and if you take that away, I don't see Lynum as a sure bet to be a future starter.
Lynum actually has been recruited as a pro style QB by most everyone. Even 247 has him as a pro instead of a dual threat.
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Elijah Davis not signing was HUGE for us. He had ODU as #1 for a LONG time and even 247 predicted he would sign with them but Davis gave us a boost of encouragement in signing him in February due to him not signing with ODU.

VA Tech doesn't need him and WE DO!!!

Don't sleep on Swift Lyles or even Tyshaun Surratt (both of whom are 3 star QB's and both could be signing in February with us.

Let us not forget that in the past Gill and company have pulled off some NICE surprises on national signing day.

By the way, if you look at Noah Frith's highlights the kid is a STUD!!! If he puts on 15 pounds he could be AGG 2.0

and Yost and JT Wood are steals in my book when you watch their film.
Totally agree on Frith. He could well be the gem of this class. Huge numbers and looked like a dominant player against Georgia 7A competition.

If some other things don't work out, I think we should look at Noah's HS QB as well. Seems like he always got the ball where and when it needed to be. As of now, I think he is planning to go to a D2 school.
Class of 20Something wrote:Who actually expected us to go out an get a class of fifteen 3*, a 4* or two, and fill the rest with 2*? Let's get realistic. We are a young program, we are recruiting against FBS schools now. This is a good class and we can build on it. We can still reign in Davis, and there will be other big recruits that waited too long for that big FBS offer that their window closed at their fall back.
Thank you for that post and I agree with you 100% on everything you said. I was started to think I was on tidefans.com for a minute.
Class of 20Something wrote:So much woe.

This class has meet the results of the past three years of recruiting ALREADY. We have raised the talent floor a lot. Sure we didn't outpace the top of G5. Why would you expect a team that isn't actually a bona fide FBS program to out recruit them? 10 months into a two year transition we are recruiting like we are in the bottom quarter of FBS teams. News Flash! WE ARE IN THE BOTTOM QUARTER OF FBS TEAMS! This class is exactly where it should be. How are we acting so spoiled. When LU get's it's hands on 3* recruits they shine. Lets look at what 3* players have done at Liberty.

Stubbs. Freshman contributor.
Best. Injured.
Calvert. lol.
Probert. About as good as can be expected.
Daniels. No longer with team.
King. Constant contributor.

We have what, five 3* signed yesterday. We just doubled the number of 3* guys on the team.

Who actually expected us to go out an get a class of fifteen 3*, a 4* or two, and fill the rest with 2*? Let's get realistic. We are a young program, we are recruiting against FBS schools now. This is a good class and we can build on it. We can still reign in Davis, and there will be other big recruits that waited too long for that big FBS offer that their window closed at their fall back.
Actually based on the results of our first transition year, we are no better than a mid-level FCS team. Even with our extra scholarship players, we had a horrible year. (I don't buy that they were just guys off the street we threw a schollie to, just to say we signed some players. Even if they were no better than an average FCS player, we should have performed better, just because they added depth). I am not one that expected us to have a top 10 recruiting class this year, but I did expect more quality/depth than it "appears" that we have.
If we are a bottom quarter FBS team, which I agree we are right now, then just don't hype this as some incredible feat to bring in a bottom quarter FBS class. We should have our best class ever. We have spent the most $ ever and have the most scholarships ever to give. You can argue i have too high expectations to ask for a class in the 95-102 range and i can argue that hyping this class as our best ever!,and wow how incredible are these guys?!, sets us up for a let down when we go 2-10 this year.
I am as big an LU fan and supporter as the next guy on this boatd but Is it too much to ask to out recruit a few FBS teams with inferior facilities and locations like UMass or Texas-San Antonio?! I still think we might get there. We arent done yet but lets not break an arm patting ourselves on the back like this is some incredible feat of recruiting. We are right where we ahould be: The bottom of FBS.
You have fallen into the Great Facilities = Great Recruits fallacy. They help but losing a kid to Coastal obviously has nothing to do with facilities. If all things being equal it came down to facilities then your expectations are spot on.
This appears to be a solid class. Appears to address the glaring needs on the team. At this point Success on the field will do more to lure recruits than facilities
I would not expect this years class to lead us to the promised land in ,2018.. If we can get contributions from several freshmen in 2018, it will help build a foundation for 2019 and beyond.

I am reminded of the words of TF: "coach them up".
Last edited by ballcoach15 on December 21st, 2017, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Again, and I'm not sure why people have difficulty with this. These things are not mutually exclusive.

We have the best recruiting class in school history.

We are also recruiting on par with bottom tier FBS programs. That's not a bad thing.

You don't just show up an out recruit UTSA and UMass. There's this thing called brand recognition. How many times do we see University of Liberty? The Baylor win helped, sure. But we really aren't to the point we're we can get a class of kids that grew up wanting to play for us. It will take time before we have a class of Sean Queens.

Bottom tier FBS is fantastic, for now.

It's a step in the road that will get us to be truly competitive with the brands we recognize. The Cincinnati's and Boise Sts will soon enough hate seeing Liberty on a recruits offer list.

We desperately need to fill our roster with FBS caliber players before we can expect to win at the next level.
ballcoach15 wrote:I am reminded of the words of TF: "coach them up".
TF said that to me today! :football
ballcoach15 wrote:I have heard him say it often. And it's very true.
The problem has been that we don't have a coach that is capable of "coaching them up". If we did, we would be better than we were when he got here. Bottom line is, we're not.
ballcoach15 wrote:I would not expect this years class to lead us to the promised land in ,2018.. If we can get contributions from several freshmen in 2018, it will help build a foundation for 2019 and beyond.

I am reminded of the words of TF: "coach them up".

I totally agree with this. 25 years of seeing the potential of this school and it's athletic programs, watching us continually overhype and underachieve, watching us take real strides in basketball twice (now 3 times) only to have a coach leave inexplicably and the program tank, watching football in particular this past decade be stuck in neutral on the field but sound like world beaters if you listen to the hype, I am ready for a solid building block kind of year, recognition of what is and isn't a good class, recruit, win, etc...
So far this is an expected class NOT a great class. We are expected to be above FCS and at the bottom of FBS. That is who we are. I think we all want to exceed that. We all want to see LU become excellent and respected in every sport. For me to join the chorus of "Greatest Class Ever!" "Amazing Recruiting Job!" "Look at us" we need to do better than expected. For me, that is 105 or better out of 125.
Can we get there? Absolutely! And when we do I will be giving credit where credit is due. I am thrilled about signing so many quality OL guys. We desperately needed depth there! At this level we do need to "Coach them up", find guys with big upside and develop them. We need to play above our talent level and win with heart to bring attention to the program and attract the next level athlete. I get excited when i see a team and guys who play above expectations. Have we seen that happen much lately?

Let's finish strong. We need to fill out our scholarship count with FBS potential guys at positions of need. A ton of guys across FBS signed in this early period. Way more than experts expected. I will be interested to see who is available and who we can attract. I think more P5 schools will be searching the 3* and 2* ranks to fill out their last few spots since they can't expect to flip any signed guys. Competition will be tough between now and February.

I want us to succeed! I want us to be great! I want this staff to excel and will be the first to give credit where credit is due BUT we have to earn the hype. Hype, failure to meet hype, then spin the failure and claim victory anyway gets old after 25 years. I am ready for sober analysis while maintaining high expectations and accountability to continually getting better. EARN THE HYPE! EARN THE PRAISE! Let's beat out someone we shouldn't for a guy in February! Let's fill all our slots with FBS caliber guys. Let's not get beat by an FCS for a recruit. If we do that, i will be right there to say "Great job! Way to go!"
Then i will be right back here in August watching to see if we are developing talent.

(BTW No one on this board exhibits anything even close to the expectations of tide fans. You really have no idea unless you live here.)
Chippy wrote:There are some large human beings in this recruiting class. Sodexo will have a challenge :-D
I remember looking at the size disparity between us and some of the lower FCS schools last year, I can't imagine these guys coming in. And they all seem athletic on top of it. Maybe if Sodexo doesn't need them enough they'll just eat opposing linemen.
ALAFlamesFan wrote:BTW No one on this board exhibits anything even close to the expectations of tide fans. You really have no idea unless you live here.
Maybe not at that level, but I do see a few comments that make me cringe. Some comments have a rich entitled kid feel to them. :?
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Congress, and everything else in D.C., is a corpor[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]