Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:If you're keeping score at home, Lewis has 3 stars!
We are high on the list of several 3 star players. It really is way too early to pass judgement on this class.
oldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:If you're keeping score at home, Lewis has 3 stars!
We are high on the list of several 3 star players. It really is way too early to pass judgement on this class.
Indeed. We could end up with four 3 star players and anyone that bashed that class needs to look at our history.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Let me reiterate my point from a prospect discussion to piggyback off oldflame's point...if you seriously thought that as soon as we announced...announced mind you...that three-star recruits just start flooding in simply because we announced our move to FBS...congratulations youve become one of those impatient FBS fans...it is going to take time for this move to bear fruit in recruiting and other things.
By Liberty Gifs
BJWilliams wrote:Let me reiterate my point from a prospect discussion to piggyback off oldflame's point...if you seriously thought that as soon as we announced...announced mind you...that three-star recruits just start flooding in simply because we announced our move to FBS...congratulations youve become one of those impatient FBS fans...it is going to take time for this move to bear fruit in recruiting and other things.
BJWilliams wrote:Let me reiterate my point from a prospect discussion to piggyback off oldflame's point...if you seriously thought that as soon as we announced...announced mind you...that three-star recruits just start flooding in simply because we announced our move to FBS...congratulations youve become one of those impatient FBS fans...it is going to take time for this move to bear fruit in recruiting and other things.
I expect us to be higher on some student boards because of playing time. I expect that the recruiting floor has probably changed in a not quantifiable way. There are plenty of 2* quality recruits that don't get the rating because of a lack of camps and the like. The announcement and the scheduling is probably shifting our recruiting base up. Our target range for recruits is smaller. The worst player we recruit this year will be better than the worst of last year.

I think the 2020 class will be the first class to truly WOW us. We will have found our place and stride, a new coach will be implementing his system, and the stadium will be complete before that signing day.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:
I expect us to be higher on some student boards because of playing time. I expect that the recruiting floor has probably changed in a not quantifiable way. There are plenty of 2* quality recruits that don't get the rating because of a lack of camps and the like. The announcement and the scheduling is probably shifting our recruiting base up. Our target range for recruits is smaller. The worst player we recruit this year will be better than the worst of last year.

I think the 2020 class will be the first class to truly WOW us. We will have found our place and stride, a new coach will be implementing his system, and the stadium will be complete before that signing day.
So I'm guessing that idea seems to be a strong possibility then? I wonder how Gill feels right about now? I'm sure he knows that he'll most likely be stepped down as head coach, so he's just enjoying the ride I supposed. Even with a good record this season, I do feel he will not be around either. His era has been very mediocre, and it looks a bit less as great of the Racco era. I do feel the class of 2020 will be a great one and I hope our recruiting is even greater with a new qualified coach and and possibly coordinators (I would love coach Brown to stay). One thing for sure is that we'll need an amazing quarterback o-linemen in the 2019-2020 classes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I find it mildly humorous that so many people have said they hope Gill will succeed and continue to be our coach while at the same time engaging in wild speculation about possible big name replacements. I don't think there is much doubt though that the team needs to show real progress this year or we will be looking to move on.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:I find it mildly humorous that so many people have said they hope Gill will succeed and continue to be our coach while at the same time engaging in wild speculation about possible big name replacements. I don't think there is much doubt though that the team needs to show real progress this year or we will be looking to move on.
HCTG is everything that a Coach at LU used to be about. Guy should have been given a 20 year contract. But things change and that didn't happen. Still think he should be given a long extension but know it won't happen. So yes, I'm leading the wild speculation. Although Art Briles or Bob Stoops isn't too wild a speculation
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:I find it mildly humorous that so many people have said they hope Gill will succeed and continue to be our coach while at the same time engaging in wild speculation about possible big name replacements. I don't think there is much doubt though that the team needs to show real progress this year or we will be looking to move on.
HCTG is everything that a Coach at LU used to be about. Guy should have been given a 20 year contract. But things change and that didn't happen. Still think he should be given a long extension but know it won't happen. So yes, I'm leading the wild speculation. Although Art Briles or Bob Stoops isn't too wild a speculation
HCTG is everything the PERSON should be. I don't think that has changed much. I don't think character means extension. I think you have to work for your comfort and frankly the body of work is the two worst seasons in a decade with the best facilities in FCS. Whoever the next coach is, big name or not, will have to produce. LU absolutely cannot parade mediocrity. It is incompatible with every other aspect of the school.

Partial side note. I think LU is smart putting the School of Divinity in the tower. The most prominent and visible symbol, center of the new school crest and the residential campus. We are pigeon holing ourselves into our faith. Same with JLFJR's Trump support. Pigeonholing us as Conservative. I can't imagine us ever bringing in a coach that doesn't at least have a Christian facade.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
I agree that HCTG is a great person and representative of LU. However, he has not proven yet, in any of his previous coaching stops, or here at LU, that he can put up the W's that are and should be expected. I honestly hope he can do it, because he is the type of person we want leading our program. He hasn't proven to date, that he is the kind of winning coach that we want leading our program.
The problems that I have observed, thus far include: Very vanilla/predictable offense, poor recruiting of OL and DL prospects, very average to poor special teams play, losing games to GW, Monmouth (absolutely zero excuse) and games that we had won and choked on like Richmond, ODU, Villanova. In fairness we have won a few games we shouldn't have, CCU, JMU, Montana. However the losses to GW and Monmouth, etc, significantly overshadow those wins. Finally, the significant problems that we have had off the field. The coach cannot keep up with every athlete, 100% of the time. However, some of these things could be lessened if the players knew, beyond any shadow of doubt, that such actions would mean an immediate release or punishment from the team.
Hopefully, we can turn these things around quickly. Several here have said that we need time to reap the benefits of going to FBS. While I agree with that to a large degree, TG has had enough years to significantly improve our standing in FCS and hasn't done it. I don't see much improvement, if any, from the Rocco years. Certainly not significant progress. IMHHHO.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Rocco 47–20
Gill 35-25

Absolutely no excuse. 7 of those 25 were FBS.
There is a lot of pastry in that 47
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I have confidence in gills group recruiting. I dont have confidence in their coaching. As far as record goes. Gill has played 2 fbs teams almost every year and rocco played 2 non fcs teams each year. Thats the difference in your record. Rocco really only won 2 or 3 big games here. Gill has had 4 or 5 marquee wins but has not been able to beat the teams we should beat.

That gives me a bit more reason of hope than if he could never ever win the big games but gobbled up the scrubs like rocco. He has 1 to 2 seasons to prove it and thats the bottom line.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
There are several 3 stars with decisions coming up, that we are in the mix with. Need to get a couple of these guys and salvage a class.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:I have confidence in gills group recruiting. I dont have confidence in their coaching. As far as record goes. Gill has played 2 fbs teams almost every year and rocco played 2 non fcs teams each year. Thats the difference in your record. Rocco really only won 2 or 3 big games here. Gill has had 4 or 5 marquee wins but has not been able to beat the teams we should beat.

That gives me a bit more reason of hope than if he could never ever win the big games but gobbled up the scrubs like rocco. He has 1 to 2 seasons to prove it and thats the bottom line.
I agree pretty much with your analysis of the comparative records of Gill and Rocco. I would just add that while the scrubs are still scrubs, I don't believe they are quite as awful as they were the years we swept through the BSC but there was no auto bid.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:There are several 3 stars with decisions coming up, that we are in the mix with. Need to get a couple of these guys and salvage a class.
RB Anthony Ballard has said he will be announcing his commitment today, prior to the start of HS practice tomorrow. I believe he has gotten a couple of P5 offers since saying we were at the top of his list.

Anyone else catch the gospel music connection in Boykin's semi-cryptic "soon and very soon" tweet? Might be a good sign.

Those would be 2 amazing gets, but we need some BIG GUYS.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's how i break down our remaining current offers (that we know of):

QB-6
RB-7
WR- 21
TE-6
OL- 21
DL- 12 (combined total)
LB- 13
DB- 18
K/P- 0
ATH- 11
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Serious question: Do you think the current political climate and more specifically our chancellor's tweets or comments on situations like Charlottesville affect recruiting in any way?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Serious question: Do you think the current political climate and more specifically our chancellor's tweets or comments on situations like Charlottesville affect recruiting in any way?
No. Depending on which survey you look at anywhere between 88-93% of the people who voted for Trump would do so again. So there really isn't a shift from the last year or two on that front.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Pardon me for being that guy FHOT...but...who? He isn't listed on tbe Offer thread
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]