Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The brought back because of recruiting line has been spin since it was first said. It’s always been about the money.
I can’t say you are wrong
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The brought back because of recruiting line has been spin since it was first said. It’s always been about the money.
I can't either

Yes, we have a lot of $$$
Yes, we spend a lot of $$$ for a lot of things.

Having said that, it has become pretty clear that one thing JLFJR does NOT want to spend $$$ for is salaries of well paid employees who no longer work for Liberty University. It has the look of a "line in the sand.". It was in large part the extravagant and unjustified contract extensions of Gill and Layer that got JB fired, and obviously IM is smart enough to get the message (and likely agrees anyway.)
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
By the way, I was interested in our ranking on rivals as a team and since rivals like all the other recruiting services hasn't put us as FBS in their database I went ahead and tallied up our recruiting points according to rivals point system. And wouldn't you know that we got 750 points on the dot which ties us for 100th out of 128 teams in college football. Now, if Jacquez Carter signs with us that would bump us to 99th. So, let that sink in for a minute we finished 100th in our first FBS recruiting class. That means there were 28 other teams who didn't have as good of a recruiting class that we did. Give Gill and his staff some praise fellas. They did much better than most of you are giving them credit for.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Not that simple. We also signed more players. Look we got some great pieces and overral raised the ceiling but we had a lot of misses as well. Not getting a power back impact juco OL and more quality d line help are all negatives as well as not landing a def future stud qb.

Also if you want to recruit well to the system at our level. Offer a ton of 2 stars that only have fcs offers. We had quite a few of those. Go look at umass for instance. Less players more stars more offers from other teams. We will have our work cut out for us.

I actually do support signing jucos because we had so many holes from past classes.

Hopefully we can find a grad transfer or 2 for rb ol and possibly d line for the last few players.

I was as big a fan as any for carter but hes living in fantasy land. Until he bumps reality i wouldnt even worry about him.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:By the way, I was interested in our ranking on rivals as a team and since rivals like all the other recruiting services hasn't put us as FBS in their database I went ahead and tallied up our recruiting points according to rivals point system. And wouldn't you know that we got 750 points on the dot which ties us for 100th out of 128 teams in college football. Now, if Jacquez Carter signs with us that would bump us to 99th. So, let that sink in for a minute we finished 100th in our first FBS recruiting class. That means there were 28 other teams who didn't have as good of a recruiting class that we did. Give Gill and his staff some praise fellas. They did much better than most of you are giving them credit for.
Kool-aid and popcorn please.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I can't either

Yes, we have a lot of $$$
Yes, we spend a lot of $$$ for a lot of things.

Having said that, it has become pretty clear that one thing JLFJR does NOT want to spend $$$ for is salaries of well paid employees who no longer work for Liberty University. It has the look of a "line in the sand.". It was in large part the extravagant and unjustified contract extensions of Gill and Layer that got JB fired, and obviously IM is smart enough to get the message (and likely agrees anyway.)
Money was a big part of the conversation, but I am confident that if the early signing period did not occur in December,( for the first time), we would have a new coach now. It is a shame that TG and staff didn't do any better recruiting job than they did. At least we can blame it on our first year in FBS. It is going to be extra ugly this first year.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I still believe LU put feelers out and didn't like the lack of interest they were getting. Both you and I know if someone with a name showed interest Gill would've been dropped.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
I still believe LU put feelers out and didn't like the lack of interest they were getting. Both you and I know if someone with a name showed interest Gill would've been dropped.
This is hand in hand with money
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
I can assure you that was not the case. We would have had lots of very, very, good candidates if indeed the decision was made to move on from TG.

ABTG 19
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I know that is the popular belief in this board but a transitioning program isn't exactly the most appealing job in the world.
Hey, whatever you want to think, I will continue to believe my sources until they are incorrect. Personally, I would rather come in as a new coach, in a transition year, rather than the first year of FBS full eligibility. IF others feel the same way, then maybe we can gauge what the interest might have been, if indeed we had an opening this past November. I would suggest that the speculation will increase quite a bit by next Thanksgiving. 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I know that is the popular belief in this board but a transitioning program isn't exactly the most appealing job in the world.
:BS :BS But. But. Liberty!!!!

Hugh Freeze in 2018
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
With softball starting this week, I have not been able to keep up with football recruiting, therefore I have a question.

Who is the best recruit we signed ?
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:Not sure, ballcoach, but we signed 5 players listed as :star :star :star
http://www.aseaofred.com/2014-football-verbals/

And you know how much TF likes to talk about 3-star athletes.
I'll jump on this one with you TF. It isn't a perfect predictor, however, the majority of the time 3 star athletes that don't have injury or discipline issues are immediate contributors on the mountain. That reminds me, we get to see what Best is made of this season, another 3 star that we didn't have because of injury last season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Not sure, ballcoach, but we signed 5 players listed as :star :star :star
http://www.aseaofred.com/2014-football-verbals/

And you know how much TF likes to talk about 3-star athletes.
Actually 7. Barrett, the JUCO TE we signed Wed. was also a 3 star out of HS, as was Huntley the WR who transferred from Colorado.

In answer to ballcoach's ??, I would say it is close between Chibueze, the 340 lb OL, who had offers from both UVA and UNC and Lewis, the 6'6" DE who also had P5 offers (Kansas State went after him hard). I would say Lewis is probably considered the gem of the class.

BTW, our previous best for 3 stars was 3, in Gill's first recruiting class.
By Class of 20Something
Does anyone else like that we are offering a lot of ODU offers? The second we win one I think it's gonna be a fun battle.

I really hope we go all in on scheduling them like we did UMass. It's just such a natural rivalry. I don't hate them like I do JMU but I want to beat them as badly.

ODU is the next hurdle for the program to survive the FBS jump.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Does anyone else like that we are offering a lot of ODU offers? The second we win one I think it's gonna be a fun battle.

I really hope we go all in on scheduling them like we did UMass. It's just such a natural rivalry. I don't hate them like I do JMU but I want to beat them as badly.

ODU planted some seeds of hate this recruiting season IMHO. Not because they "won" the lala prize, but because they reportedly played up the potential coaching uncertainty among other things. Certainly not illegal, and probably not unethical, but also definitely not classy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Does anyone else like that we are offering a lot of ODU offers? The second we win one I think it's gonna be a fun battle.

ODU planted some seeds of hate this recruiting season IMHO. Not because they "won" the lala prize, but because they reportedly played up the potential coaching uncertainty among other things. Certainly not illegal, and probably not unethical, but also definitely not classy.
Why would you NOT play that up? It’s a huge advantage and they’d be inept at their jobs if they didn’t.
You are spot on about a rivalry though. It needs to happen. Personally I hope the focus is not on making Coastal a rival again. A rivalry with ODU is organic and scheduling them in every sport just makes sense. They seem open to it so why not?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:

Why would you NOT play that up? It’s a huge advantage and they’d be inept at their jobs if they didn’t.
You are spot on about a rivalry though. It needs to happen. Personally I hope the focus is not on making Coastal a rival again. A rivalry with ODU is organic and scheduling them in every sport just makes sense. They seem open to it so why not?
Since it doesn't look like it's happening with JMU anytime soon, I'm all for pursuing rivalries with both ODU and Coastal.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Spending 55 million for 2 or 3 thousand more seats, doesn't sound very smart. Now granted it sounds as if their stadium was not FBS ready to begin with.

I have never understood why anyone outside of Norfolk would be excited for anything related to ODU. It's hard to get to, parking will always be a problem. Personally I think ODU is biting off more than they can chew, when dealing with athletics.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on February 13th, 2018, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Spending 55 million for 2 or 3 thousand more seats, doesn't sound very smart. Now granted it sounds as if their stadium was FBS ready to begin with.

I have never understood why anyone outside of Norfolk would be excited for anything related to ODU. It's hard to get to, parking will always be a problem. Personally I think ODU is biting off more than they can chew, when dealing with athletics.
The only thing FBS ready about their stadium was the number of seats. It is an antequated dump, and the renovations needed are more to modernize than to enlarge. The writer makes a lot of good points about the things that should be changed in the current plan.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]