Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Just noticed he runs a 4.5 40 yard dash, and has the highest possible power arm rating on ESPN .

This guy seems like he would be a phenomenal talent. Not sure why he does not have the stars, but hopefully that will benefit LU and keep him away from the P5 schools.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Indiana, LSU, Ball State, and Temple have all shown interest in Caleb. He has been active with LU on twitter, and seems like a great fit for the school. This would be an absolute Home Run in my opinion. Speaking of Home Runs, I am curious if Jackson and Gill ever worked out the two sport athlete thing ? Caleb plays baseball, and it could really benefit us if we allowed these guys to do both. My understanding is Tillman was not talented enough to play in an already crowded outfield. I would not be surprised if Jackson just shut down the idea of football guys on the baseball team all together. He seems to be a purist.
I just checked out Caleb's 247 page and he is now listed as a 2 Star recruit. Also, I saw that he has been offered by Indiana and Temple. Lord willing we roll out the red carpet for this guy, mobile quarterbacks who can throw are so dangerous in an offense. Just look at Jalen Hurts or Deshaun Watson.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
They are only dangerous in an offense that takes advantage of that mobile skillset. If you take a mobile QB and have him hand off 20 times a game and take 5 and 7 step drops, you are not taking full advantage. The reason Hurts and Watson and others like them in college did so well is their coaches and OCs ran plays that maximized their mobility and still balanced it withth the rest of the offense.I think if we had better balanced Josh's running and passing, I think that opens more opportunity for the other backs and makes us even more dangerous and maybe we win a few of those WTF games we had
Last edited by BJWilliams on July 8th, 2017, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I just checked out Caleb's 247 page and he is now listed as a 2 Star recruit. Also, I saw that he has been offered by Indiana and Temple. Lord willing we roll out the red carpet for this guy, mobile quarterbacks who can throw are so dangerous in an offense. Just look at Jalen Hurts or Deshaun Watson.

Agreed FHOTT.

Good Job by the coaches for identifying the talent and getting on board with an offer early.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My previous comments aside, i hope we roll out the red carpet for him as well. I think he would give us an extra offensive dimension.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Masha never had the passing skills to be a true dual-threat QB. His release was way too high and he had a hard time seeing over/around the OL on quick passes. I believe we would be much better off with a true dual-threat QB and a system that takes advantages of these skill sets. Obviously, Buckshot doesn't fit that mold, but we could and should start recruiting with that goal in mind. However, I don't see Gill changing to that kind of an offense and LU hasn't run that kind of offense ever, that I remember. FWIW
By cruzan_flame13
flameshaw wrote:Masha never had the passing skills to be a true dual-threat QB. His release was way too high and he had a hard time seeing over/around the OL on quick passes. I believe we would be much better off with a true dual-threat QB and a system that takes advantages of these skill sets. Obviously, Buckshot doesn't fit that mold, but we could and should start recruiting with that goal in mind. However, I don't see Gill changing to that kind of an offense and LU hasn't run that kind of offense ever, that I remember. FWIW
So what you're saying is that we're mediocre because some folks do not want to change in order to improve plus take the team to the next level? That may explain a lot of the past few years.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Masha never had the passing skills to be a true dual-threat QB. His release was way too high and he had a hard time seeing over/around the OL on quick passes. I believe we would be much better off with a true dual-threat QB and a system that takes advantages of these skill sets. Obviously, Buckshot doesn't fit that mold, but we could and should start recruiting with that goal in mind. However, I don't see Gill changing to that kind of an offense and LU hasn't run that kind of offense ever, that I remember. FWIW
So what you're saying is that we're mediocre because some folks do not want to change in order to improve plus take the team to the next level? That may explain a lot of the past few years.
I am not saying that exactly. Most coaches will coach the system that they are comfortable with and not change. Most/all of our coaches have been pro-set coaches. You can make a case for and against a spread/option type vs. pro set offensive scheme.
What we do know for sure, is that the pro-set offense has not really done much for us as an institution. Maybe, with the extra scholarships, we can get the right kind and quantity/quality of OL to successfully run a pro-set offense. The pro-set protects your QB better and at the FCS level, you do need more than one or two good QB's to run the spread option because they are put at more risk of injury.
What we need to do for certain, is to be able to recruit better athletes/better people for our FBS journey. Not sure we can do it with the current staff, but we will find out soon enough. I hope Gill and company can pull it off. He seems to be a solid guy personally/spiritually. But it all boils down to W's.
By Dirty 30
R i wrote:Indiana, LSU, Ball State, and Temple have all shown interest in Caleb. He has been active with LU on twitter, and seems like a great fit for the school. This would be an absolute Home Run in my opinion. Speaking of Home Runs, I am curious if Jackson and Gill ever worked out the two sport athlete thing ? Caleb plays baseball, and it could really benefit us if we allowed these guys to do both. My understanding is Tillman was not talented enough to play in an already crowded outfield. I would not be surprised if Jackson just shut down the idea of football guys on the baseball team all together. He seems to be a purist.
It seems like Caleb is a special athlete. If he can play both it would be easier for him playing at the QB position and playing baseball to do it but Spring Practice is a must for the QB position. Tillmon is more than talented enough to play baseball and he decided to concentrate on Football this spring and not play baseball this past season and participate in Spring Practice with a chance to start at Safety. Right now that is where he is on depth chart going into fall camp. Coach Jackson wanted him out there this year. He has already told Coach Jackson he would like to play this coming spring. I guess we will see what kind of player he is in baseball if he does play next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:
R i wrote:Indiana, LSU, Ball State, and Temple have all shown interest in Caleb. He has been active with LU on twitter, and seems like a great fit for the school. This would be an absolute Home Run in my opinion. Speaking of Home Runs, I am curious if Jackson and Gill ever worked out the two sport athlete thing ? Caleb plays baseball, and it could really benefit us if we allowed these guys to do both. My understanding is Tillman was not talented enough to play in an already crowded outfield. I would not be surprised if Jackson just shut down the idea of football guys on the baseball team all together. He seems to be a purist.
It seems like Caleb is a special athlete. If he can play both it would be easier for him playing at the QB position and playing baseball to do it but Spring Practice is a must for the QB position. Tillmon is more than talented enough to play baseball and he decided to concentrate on Football this spring and not play baseball this past season and participate in Spring Practice with a chance to start at Safety. Right now that is where he is on depth chart going into fall camp. Coach Jackson wanted him out there this year. He has already told Coach Jackson he would like to play this coming spring. I guess we will see what kind of player he is in baseball if he does play next year.
Glad you chimed in on this dirty30, because someone was misinformed to say Brandon did not play baseball this year because of any lack of talent. I'm pretty sure none of our other outfielders were POY in their state in baseball as a HS senior, and I would also venture to say he is faster and stronger than any of them as well. Glad to hear Jackson is open to 2 sport athletes and I hope Brandon gets to do both this year, because it seems that is something he really has wanted to do. It could also give us an edge in recruiting other 2 sport athletes like the Jernigan kid from GA (if he doesn't sign a pro baseball contract out of HS). I think you are spot on about a QB not being able to miss Spring practice, and I believe that would likely be a deal breaker for doing both sports.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
I am not saying that exactly. Most coaches will coach the system that they are comfortable with and not change. Most/all of our coaches have been pro-set coaches. You can make a case for and against a spread/option type vs. pro set offensive scheme.
What we do know for sure, is that the pro-set offense has not really done much for us as an institution. Maybe, with the extra scholarships, we can get the right kind and quantity/quality of OL to successfully run a pro-set offense. The pro-set protects your QB better and at the FCS level, you do need more than one or two good QB's to run the spread option because they are put at more risk of injury.
What we need to do for certain, is to be able to recruit better athletes/better people for our FBS journey. Not sure we can do it with the current staff, but we will find out soon enough. I hope Gill and company can pull it off. He seems to be a solid guy personally/spiritually. But it all boils down to W's.
Coaches make a fortune 'running their systems'. That's what they do. Why change all that much? Buck currently is a solid QB for the system they want to run. Why recruit someone who isn't? Makes 0 sense? 'Hey come play QB in a system you're not suited for!'
Purple Haize wrote: Coaches make a fortune 'running their systems'. That's what they do. Why change all that much? Buck currently is a solid QB for the system they want to run. Why recruit someone who isn't? Makes 0 sense? 'Hey come play QB in a system you're not suited for!'
Who recruited Masha?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote: Coaches make a fortune 'running their systems'. That's what they do. Why change all that much? Buck currently is a solid QB for the system they want to run. Why recruit someone who isn't? Makes 0 sense? 'Hey come play QB in a system you're not suited for!'
Who recruited Masha?
Masha was in Gill's second recruiting class, but Stamn was the OC back then, and he liked to mix in a fair amount of option. Even Woodrum had some pretty big days running the ball. To say I am not a fan of what Daley did with the offense last year is the understatement of the century. No creativity or deception, totally vanilla, and after talking ad nauseum about how up tempo we were going to be, we saw NONE of that. Then this Spring we hear from Gill that they are "simplifying the terminology" to get the plays in faster. Who chooses the terminology, and who is responsible to get plays called in time if you want to go up tempo? I'm thinking that would be the OC.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Who recruited Masha?
Masha didn't develop like they thought. That happens. Recruiting is an art not a science. what I'm referring to is you don't recruit Tom Brady to run a Wishbone offense or Cam Newton to run a Pro Style offense.
I do think Buck has better running skills then he's given credit for.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Who recruited Masha?
Masha was in Gill's second recruiting class, but Stamn was the OC back then, and he liked to mix in a fair amount of option. Even Woodrum had some pretty big days running the ball. To say I am not a fan of what Daley did with the offense last year is the understatement of the century. No creativity or deception, totally vanilla, and after talking ad nauseum about how up tempo we were going to be, we saw NONE of that. Then this Spring we hear from Gill that they are "simplifying the terminology" to get the plays in faster. Who chooses the terminology, and who is responsible to get plays called in time if you want to go up tempo? I'm thinking that would be the OC.
Adavanced Coaching Theory: Its not how much the coach knows. It's how much the players know
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Absolutely true Purple, but we can't be putting the blame on the players if they struggle grasping our terminology. That should have been clear in Fall camp, and adjustments should have been made then. I am also not so sure in this case it was not the coach who failed to have a solid enough grasp of his own system and the opponent's defense to call the plays in time.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Absolutely true Purple, but we can't be putting the blame on the players if they struggle grasping our terminology. That should have been clear in Fall camp, and adjustments should have been made then. I am also not so sure in this case it was not the coach who failed to have a solid enough grasp of his own system and the opponent's defense to call the plays in time.
It's why it's Advanced Coaching Theory.. reread the quote.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple makes a very good point about Advanced Coaching Theory.

My point is that the reason players like Jalen Hurts and Deshaun Watson (now with the Texans) did so well as dual threat QBs is they not only knew their systems, but the coaches and OCs were able to craft what they ran to take advantage of their additional skills as runners. If you go back to Mike Brown, hw probably was a better examples of what we could have been. Our problem with him is he was almost ALL of our offense. If we had a quarterback woth hus skills as a runner and a thrower and a more diverse set of playcalls, maybe we're talking about a perennial 8-9 win LU squad getting ready to make the jump instead of a 6-7 win squad with a bunch of shared titles
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:.
Coaches make a fortune 'running their systems'. That's what they do. Why change all that much? Buck currently is a solid QB for the system they want to run. Why recruit someone who isn't? Makes 0 sense? 'Hey come play QB in a system you're not suited for!'
Yes, that is what coaches do, I agree with you. However, a good coach is open to other things, based on results. Someone had to take a major risk and run the first wishbone offense. It was very effective for several years, not so much today. I am just saying, that if what you are doing isn't working great, maybe one would consider something else. Not sure if Gill feels comfortable enough to do that, or even that it is necessary. If I am an AD, I am hoping that I have a coach who is flexible enough to do what is necessary to provide continuous improvement, even if it is out of their comfort zone. The most important this is, does it work.
Fact remains, this kid with the tools he possesses could be #1. a steal for us and #2. a dynamic threat for our offense if he was utilized correctly. However, great players will make plays regardless. I hope we can get this kid.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Fact remains, this kid with the tools he possesses could be #1. a steal for us and #2. a dynamic threat for our offense if he was utilized correctly. However, great players will make plays regardless. I hope we can get this kid.
Well, yeah. But that isn't as fun to discuss :D
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]