Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Updated Offer List:

• App State
    Coastal Carolina
    Duke
    Iowa State
    Liberty
    UVa
    Virginia Tech
    West Virginia

Still no offer from Clemson which we all suspect would be next to impossible for him to turn down. He seems to be really intrigued by the Hokies as well.
Sly Fox wrote:Updated Offer List:

• App State
    Coastal Carolina
    Duke
    Iowa State
    Liberty
    UVa
    Virginia Tech
    West Virginia

Still no offer from Clemson which we all suspect would be next to impossible for him to turn down. He seems to be really intrigued by the Hokies as well.
This is my favorite offer list so far.

American
Sunbelt
ACC
XII
and LIBERTY!!!!!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Bump. A chance to throw an anchor down for 2019 tomorrow. Im hearing VT. Long shot but here we go.
Knowing how Jesse and his entire family feel about Clemson, it seems strange he would commit anywhere else so early. I wouldn't be surprised if Dabo has offered and he has been keeping it close to the vest for tomorrow.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
He definitely is interested in Liberty, probably more so than the staff has shown in him. There is one school that has absolutely out-recruited him from all the others. I believe that's where he's headed. We'll see tomorrow.
By Jonathan Carone
flamehunter wrote:He definitely is interested in Liberty, probably more so than the staff has shown in him.
This is the exact thing I was told. It was said that he’s potentially the best recruit we could’ve landed in our history and he has legitimate interest in us but our staff hasn’t recruited him strongly.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flamehunter wrote:He definitely is interested in Liberty, probably more so than the staff has shown in him.
This is the exact thing I was told. It was said that he’s potentially the best recruit we could’ve landed in our history and he has legitimate interest in us but our staff hasn’t recruited him strongly.
To be fair to our staff on this, they were tasked with signing a class of 30 for 2018, which had to make it extra tough to find much time for a 2019 recruit, even one as good as Jesse. I have to say I don't quite understand why he feels the need to commit so early, but I'm sure he has his reasons. In any event, we all know it's a verbal, and he has a year to change his mind, no matter what his decision is now.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I think he has found a situation that is a great fit for him and he wants to get the recruiting process done with. He doesn't look for the attention or spotlight some athletes do. I don't know yet where he is committing to, but I believe there would have to be some very extenuating circumstances for him to go back on his word once he makes the commitment.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Wish I could say I was surprised. Maybe TG is focusing more on this year, knowing what will happen if we have a repeat of last year, and we will. You don't turn around six years of poor performance in one year, especially playing better competition.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Such a shame we didn’t put the effort in someone who grew up a liberty fan. If he does in fact go to VT like the experts predict the staff missed on the potential of a monster class with him and wright (early favorite).

They’re missing on everyone.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Such a shame we didn’t put the effort in someone who grew up a liberty fan. If he does in fact go to VT like the experts predict the staff missed on the potential of a monster class with him and wright (early favorite).

They’re missing on everyone.
Right. (Except for the 27 they signed.) :roll:

And for the record, Jesse grew up a Clemson fan and knew very little about Liberty until his brother signed to play there.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:How many decommits? And how many are jucos? :roll:

He grew up around the program.
West decommited the day after his visit. Glad he did because he likely would have had problems if he came and apparently he realized it. Weaver got an offer from Kiffin the day after he committed to us and was pretty much gone at that point. Problem is, he didn't have the courtesy to tell us when we still had time to replace him. Juice supposedly committed on his visit, although he never announced it publicly. That's 3 (sort of). Bama had at least one. What a bunch of losers. We also signed a player we flipped.

Is having several JUCOs supposed to be a bad thing? Gill has been clear from the beginning of this recruiting cycle that he wanted to sign multiple JUCO players because they were more likely to be able to contribute immediately. I would be surprised if at least 3 do not start for us next year.
olldflame wrote:
ballah09 wrote:How many decommits? And how many are jucos? :roll:

He grew up around the program.
West decommited the day after his visit. Glad he did because he likely would have had problems if he came and apparently he realized it. Weaver got an offer from Kiffin the day after he committed to us and was pretty much gone at that point. Problem is, he didn't have the courtesy to tell us when we still had time to replace him. Juice supposedly committed on his visit, although he never announced it publicly. That's 3 (sort of). Bama had at least one. What a bunch of losers. We also signed a player we flipped.

Is having several JUCOs supposed to be a bad thing? Gill has been clear from the beginning of this recruiting cycle that he wanted to sign multiple JUCO players because they were more likely to be able to contribute immediately. I would be surprised if at least 3 do not start for us next year.
The size and speed discrepancy between 18 and 22 year olds is massive. JUCOs will help us bridge that gap in FBS while we build up the incoming freshman class.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
How many of the 27 had other fbs offers. Answer is half or less and thats if you give them the benefit of the doubt on robinson and henderson who "reportedly had a couple" though none of the sites had that info.

To take it a step further. How many had multiple fbs offers. By my count 7 max 8.

Add in 4 decommitments and the lost battle with davis. Great haul.

I sent a couple texts around and have heard similar stories. One local coach even said he hasnt heard from us in a month. We dont habe many local stud prospects. Its umbelievable that we wouldnt lay down the red carpet for hanson.

Shockingly enough, the second source said he doesnt know who hes choosing but LU was in his top 2 or 3 last he heard because of the school and not so much the staff.

Uva has recruited him very very aggressively and VT very hard as well. I was told he was also intrigued with app state a bit as well but they were a long shot.

Anyway. If we strike lightning it will be because of the school not because the staff has really impressed them. The 2 roanoke coaches i talked to were very down on our staff. They feel we have put virtually zero effort into the local area. I bet sigmo is shaking his head somewhere as im pretty sure he has heard more than me.

Laying the odds i would say vt uva lu app state duke from what i heard but nobody knows exactly.

That stuff is coming directly from local coaches and a local athletic trainer.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I suppose there are some who will never quite understand that it will be simply impossible for LU to build an FBS program by focusing primarily on beating out UVA and VT (and yes, ODU) for local players, many of whom are not a fit for the school. We recruit nationally, and we need to continue doing so, no matter who our coach is. I will be bummed if Hanson doesn't come to Liberty, but I will say again that his choice to commit this early is rather unusual and from what I can tell came without much warning.

As far as a specific local coach not having heard from us in a while.... Was there any real reason he should have? Unless he had a legit prospect we were interested in, it stands to reason that in the past several months of recruiting we needed to be talking to the coaches who did.

Nobody can say we didn't try hard to sign Davis. Should we have offered earlier? It certainly looks that way now, but hindsight is always 20/20.
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:I suppose there are some who will never quite understand that it will be simply impossible for LU to build an FBS program by focusing primarily on beating out UVA and VT (and yes, ODU) for local players, many of whom are not a fit for the school. ... Nobody can say we didn't try hard to sign Davis. Should we have offered earlier? It certainly looks that way now, but hindsight is always 20/20.
This is Hanson's thread so I don't want to hijack it with Davis stuff, but while we're on the subject I thought I'd ask this question:

If a local player is a good fit for our school and has an interest in us but his grades aren't the best, should we offer early while he still has time to get his grades up or should we wait until those grades are already up before offering?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I’m shocked the Staff is picking up these ta[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]