Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

The thing I have to ask with decommitments, is what if they decommit, but the bigtime offers that they think will come now that they have re-opened their recruitment 100%...don't come?
Two of those guys are on the bottom of Liberty's 247 sports recruitment list.
And still now, we are filling in the list with talented 3 star guys.

I carefully presume that their decommits are not voluntary.
But if it was voluntary decision, that means they might have felt pressure.
Last edited by Man_the_kay on October 13th, 2019, 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only thing that is a bummer is that both Cameron Hunter and Lincorey Lucas were two of our first commits for this class and both from the 757. I don't doubt that HCHF and staff know what they are doing and the guys they replace them with will be better players. As much as I love to get home-grown talent, I always prefer the best players.
Class of 20Something wrote: October 1st, 2019, 4:51 pm

This tells me, we are anticipating serious attrition to stay under 85. We are expecting some, I would guess up to 4 decommitments to stay under 25.

I think it does show that we accepted a few guys too early that will hurt the class as a whole. Assuming every commitment we have is a scholie.
So we're down 5 to this point? And 8 stars between them all.
Howard
Bowers
Bradford
Lucas
Hunter
That isnt remotely close to true. A lot of times schools simply over recruit and give some of their recruits a heads up before it's too late which appears to be the case here.

But sure. If you'd rather me blame the Alabama's and Clemson's of the world I'm cool with that 🤣
Most of these decommits have been suspect for some time. I feel pretty confident that they will be replaced with better prospects. Bowers is the only one that really stings for me. I think he has a huge upside.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Freeze said the staff visited all the commits this week. None of these were on there on. Hunter as a wr never impressed me. I liked him as a db/lb with weight. The rest i dont see much that cant be replaced. Staff is identifying where the holes are that they need some jucos. Makes sense to me.

The only one thats curious to me is bowers instead of mitchell. Seems like they view mitchell as the old staff viewed graham. Nfl size and unlimited potential that slipped through cracks. Freeze even went as far to say graham will he special recently. Offers are fickle. Schools move off kids all the time. It is an indication that others programs atleast viewed these kids as a player worth offering. Thats about you can tell from an offer list these days.
jinxy wrote: October 14th, 2019, 1:55 pm Freeze said the staff visited all the commits this week. None of these were on there on. Hunter as a wr never impressed me. I liked him as a db/lb with weight. The rest i dont see much that cant be replaced. Staff is identifying where the holes are that they need some jucos. Makes sense to me.

The only one thats curious to me is bowers instead of mitchell. Seems like they view mitchell as the old staff viewed graham. Nfl size and unlimited potential that slipped through cracks. Freeze even went as far to say graham will he special recently. Offers are fickle. Schools move off kids all the time. It is an indication that others programs atleast viewed these kids as a player worth offering. Thats about you can tell from an offer list these days.
I hear what you are saying in that Mitchell sort of fits the same scenario as Graham, but that's where the resemblance ends IMHO. Just on the eye test, Jonathon is a BEAST. 325 lbs, and he doesn't even look like he has filled out yet. Mitchell, not so much. Graham was an absolute steal, and I believe I said so back when someone was knocking TG for signing a player with no other offers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out Mitchell is a PWO, and I also wouldn't be surprised if Bowers is the one in the group who's decommittment was his choice.
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote: October 14th, 2019, 6:44 am It isn't like these guys had offers from Clemson, Alabama or LSU when they committed.

Most decommits are a result of unethical recruiting by other schools.
This is just ignorant.

The decommits were because our coaches wanted to let the kids portray they are making a decision instead of coming out and saying they got their offer pulled because we felt we could get someone better.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 14th, 2019, 8:56 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: October 14th, 2019, 6:44 am It isn't like these guys had offers from Clemson, Alabama or LSU when they committed.

Most decommits are a result of unethical recruiting by other schools.
This is just ignorant.

The decommits were because our coaches wanted to let the kids portray they are making a decision instead of coming out and saying they got their offer pulled because we felt we could get someone better.
I personally have mixed feelings about the process, but if you are going to do it, this is the way to go. Discretely, and early enough for the players to have plenty of time to explore other options. I do sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be better to hold off on accepting a commitment when you know it's a borderline situation, but I understand there are reasons not to.
My guess would be the coaches gave the offer in good faith thinking the player would fit where we are at and then were surprised at the ability to bring in higher talented recruits. We've seen through the entire process that in 10 months they've significantly upped the level we're going after. It's the same as a kid who verbally commits before his senior year then has a break out senior year and gets bigger offers and goes with one of the bigger offers. It feels worse because this is grown men changing their minds instead of teenagers, but the reasoning is the same.

And actually - I just thought of this as I was typing - if we're pulling in higher talent than last summer, it's probably best for the breakup to happen now than for the kid to get here, spend his freshman year on all the courses that don't transfer, and then realize he's going to be buried on the depth chart. Let him go to a place where he'll have a chance to compete.
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:28 am And actually - I just thought of this as I was typing - if we're pulling in higher talent than last summer, it's probably best for the breakup to happen now than for the kid to get here, spend his freshman year on all the courses that don't transfer, and then realize he's going to be buried on the depth chart. Let him go to a place where he'll have a chance to compete.
There's got to be one of those trophy girlfriend to the prom story analogies that you are famous for, right? :cheerleader
By LU 57
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:28 am My guess would be the coaches gave the offer in good faith thinking the player would fit where we are at and then were surprised at the ability to bring in higher talented recruits. We've seen through the entire process that in 10 months they've significantly upped the level we're going after. It's the same as a kid who verbally commits before his senior year then has a break out senior year and gets bigger offers and goes with one of the bigger offers. It feels worse because this is grown men changing their minds instead of teenagers, but the reasoning is the same.

And actually - I just thought of this as I was typing - if we're pulling in higher talent than last summer, it's probably best for the breakup to happen now than for the kid to get here, spend his freshman year on all the courses that don't transfer, and then realize he's going to be buried on the depth chart. Let him go to a place where he'll have a chance to compete.
I have mixed feelings on this process as well, but I think this is right. Better to know now while there is time to find a new home.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]