Your home to discuss Liberty football recruiting. Prospect profiles, the latest commitments, prospects, and much more.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I would second what flamehunter just said. Yes these are schools that actually do produce players. All i can say is follow the coaches on twitter. We are all over the place looking for people and we have the best chance to land a stud with a family connection and we barely go after him. We have recruited winston wright way harder than him and hes in georgia with 30 plus offers and no family connections. No rhyme or reason to me.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Jesse is EXACTLY the type kid we want. Great talent, great work ethic, rock-solid Christ follower and family ties to the school. When the recruiting really started heating up after the regular season last fall, Liberty was absent. That's straight from the family. Coach Fuente and the OL coach visited him at school less than 2 weeks out from their bowl game.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Thankfully, things will get better, really, really soon, or we will be talking about our next coach before you know it. Not overly impressed with this class at all. We did pick up some good players and we whiffed on several as well. I don't really like all of the Juco players, because by the time they get used to the system and gel with their teammates, it will take almost a year. Then we have them for only one more year. But that is the price you pay when the head coach is trying to do anything to save his job. A year wasted IMHO, but who knows, maybe a miracle will occur and TG will have a good year after 6 mediocre ones. (Trying to be kind). Anyone taking any bets?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
olldflame wrote:I suppose there are some who will never quite understand that it will be simply impossible for LU to build an FBS program by focusing primarily on beating out UVA and VT (and yes, ODU) for local players, many of whom are not a fit for the school. ... Nobody can say we didn't try hard to sign Davis. Should we have offered earlier? It certainly looks that way now, but hindsight is always 20/20.
This is Hanson's thread so I don't want to hijack it with Davis stuff, but while we're on the subject I thought I'd ask this question:

If a local player is a good fit for our school and has an interest in us but his grades aren't the best, should we offer early while he still has time to get his grades up or should we wait until those grades are already up before offering?
Great question Jon. My first inclination is to say that would be a situation where we shouldn't "put all our eggs in one basket" if it is a position of need. I feel pretty good about our current stance of being fairly selective where that is concerned, but I can see where some kids should get the benefit of the doubt.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
olldflame wrote:I suppose there are some who will never quite understand that it will be simply impossible for LU to build an FBS program by focusing primarily on beating out UVA and VT (and yes, ODU) for local players, many of whom are not a fit for the school. ... Nobody can say we didn't try hard to sign Davis. Should we have offered earlier? It certainly looks that way now, but hindsight is always 20/20.
This is Hanson's thread so I don't want to hijack it with Davis stuff, but while we're on the subject I thought I'd ask this question:

If a local player is a good fit for our school and has an interest in us but his grades aren't the best, should we offer early while he still has time to get his grades up or should we wait until those grades are already up before offering?
Do conditional offers exist?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Even if we offer and he commits he still has to meet academic requirements. So I say yes offer him and encourage him to put in the academic work. Incidentally and to keep on topic, Jesse's GPA is over 4.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Just like verbal commits, scholarship offers are very conditional by nature. They are totally non-binding and can be withdrawn at any time.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
In all honesty. This situation is why the fan base has given up on gill. Just got another text. Complete incompetence on the handling of recruiting hanson. Just got another great point. With jesse being so close to home. Tech was in there regulaly between the other visits. Its painful to hear how incompetent we are viewed here locally. Meanwhile we travel the county for questionable fits.

This is the type of player we shouldve been all in on. Warm up the bus baby. These situations are being noted as it was when he chose not to afdress the DC job with the 10th coach.

Gills last stand.
jinxy wrote:In all honesty. This situation is why the fan base has given up on gill. Just got another text. Complete incompetence on the handling of recruiting hanson. Just got another great point. With jesse being so close to home. Tech was in there regulaly between the other visits. Its painful to hear how incompetent we are viewed here locally. Meanwhile we travel the county for questionable fits.

This is the type of player we shouldve been all in on. Warm up the bus baby. These situations are being noted as it was when he chose not to afdress the DC job with the 10th coach.

Gills last stand.
I'm okay that his last stand is on a wet cardboard box.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:In all honesty. This situation is why the fan base has given up on gill. Just got another text. Complete incompetence on the handling of recruiting hanson. Just got another great point. With jesse being so close to home. Tech was in there regulaly between the other visits. Its painful to hear how incompetent we are viewed here locally. Meanwhile we travel the county for questionable fits.

Gills last stand.
I definitely agree with your last point. :shock:
That was typical TG misplaced loyalty.
He should have hired a DC, and Wimbo could have been retained as a position coach.

As far as Hanson is concerned, I am not going to give us a pass, but the timing on his rather sudden decision to commit so early was definitely unfortunate for us. I think it's safe to say Jesse would have gotten a lot more attention in the coming weeks as the 2018 class is wrapped up.

If in fact Wright was getting lots of attention while Jesse was not, that would appear to be on the assistants responsible, which would be Stamn and whoever recruits that area. Not sure who would be giving all the love to Wright. Probably DeArmon and Roberts.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:

Gills last stand.
He should have hired a DC, and Wimbo could have been retained as a position coach.

As far as Hanson is concerned, I am not going to give us a pass, but the timing on his rather sudden decision to commit so early was definitely unfortunate for us. I think it's safe to say Jesse would have gotten a lot more attention in the coming weeks as the 2018 class is wrapped up.

If in fact Wright was getting lots of attention while Jesse was not, that would appear to be on the assistants responsible, which would be Stamn and whoever recruits that area. Not sure who would be giving all the love to Wright. Probably DeArmon and Roberts
Ultimately, the responsibility is 100% on TG, not the assistants. Do you think the assistants can decide to recruit or not recruit someone without TG knowing about it and giving direction? 8)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Jesse and his dad were on greg roberts show tonight and i read another article so this is a blend of the 2. Fuente visited personally twice in the last month and they had jesse up to tech 4 times. To my knowledge we had him for one visit plus camp.

Also sounded to me as though uva out recruited him as both sooner and harder. What a shame. I dont know how much difference it would have made but we never gave ourselves a chance. He even mentioned uvas line coach and what a great relationship he had developed with him. Not a word about relationships with our staff.

He sounded deeply committed and im not sure even a clemson offer would flip him. Id say hes a lock unless fuente leaves.
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t mind losing a talented kid to Tech, obviously.

I don’t mind our staff determining a kid isn’t likely to sign with is because of P5 interest and using our resources in other places.

I do mind that our staff essentially ignored a highly skilled recruit who has had family play here and was legitimately interested.

If we’d battled for him and lost to Tech or UVA or whoever I’d be okay with it. We didn’t even try though.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I think our recruiting philosophy reflect HCTG's personality. Understated, bland, inflexible. It leaves you scratching your head just like you do when you watch our play calling in a game. Things just seem to go against conventional wisdom too many times.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:I think our recruiting philosophy reflect HCTG's personality. Understated, bland, inflexible. It leaves you scratching your head just like you do when you watch our play calling in a game. Things just seem to go against conventional wisdom too many times.
Had this conversation with a professional sports evaluation person last week. We agreed that TG does not have the personality and/or dynamic temperament required to be successful at LU. Nothing he has done, since he has been here, has proven otherwise.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
olldflame wrote:

Gills last stand.

If in fact Wright was getting lots of attention while Jesse was not, that would appear to be on the assistants responsible, which would be Stamn and whoever recruits that area. Not sure who would be giving all the love to Wright. Probably DeArmon and Roberts
Ultimately, the responsibility is 100% on TG, not the assistants. Do you think the assistants can decide to recruit or not recruit someone without TG knowing about it and giving direction? 8)
The HC decides if we are going to offer a scholarship. We did. He doesn't/can't micromanage every aspect of what happens after staff are assigned to a recruit. Is there culpability for TG in this... no doubt. 100%, I would say no on that. It was a huge error in judgement now that we have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but I honestly believe our staff felt we had more time to give Jesse the attention he deserved and were caught off guard by his decision to commit so soon.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
flamehunter wrote:I think our recruiting philosophy reflect HCTG's personality. Understated, bland, inflexible. It leaves you scratching your head just like you do when you watch our play calling in a game. Things just seem to go against conventional wisdom too many times.
Had this conversation with a professional sports evaluation person last week. We agreed that TG does not have the personality and/or dynamic temperament required to be successful at LU. Nothing he has done, since he has been here, has proven otherwise.
I don't disagree. I guess where I differ from you and some of the other TG critics on the board is that I am willing to give him credit for the successes he has had and occasionally the benefit of the doubt for failures. This recruiting class, for example, while not an unqualified success, was not the abject failure some have made it out to be. A whole lot of needs were addressed, and I believe several of these players will make us better right away and others down the road.
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:I guess where I differ from you and some of the other TG critics on the board is that I am willing to give him credit for the successes he has had and occasionally the benefit of the doubt for failures.
I'm all for giving credit where it's due, but I can't give the benefit of the doubt anymore.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Not gonna lie ... this was incredibly disappointing. Here is the story from the Roanoke fishwrap:
Roanoke Times wrote:Lord Botetourt OL Jesse Hanson commits to Virginia Tech

By Robert Anderson
robert.anderson@roanoke.com 981-3123

Lord Botetourt football coach Jamie Harless has a tried and true theory about large offensive linemen.

“He might be 6-5 or 6-6, but if he don’t bite, he can’t play [major] college football,” Harless said. “If you’re an offensive lineman, you’ve got to love contact.”

Lord Botetourt 6-foot-5, 295-pound junior Jesse Hanson bit on a big offer Thursday.
Click Here for Full Story
By Atlanta Flame
What is even more disappointing neither Jesse or Ryland list Liberty as a final consideration before committing. We need to WIN game,make bowl appearances and in the next 10 years we will be signing these player with such strong LU ties.
By Atlanta Flame
Very disappointing that Jesse and Ryland neither list Liberty as a finalist before committing. Both having strong ties to LU. We need to Win at the Bcs level,play in Bowl games and we will sign these type of players in the next 10 years.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Just saw that Jesse is now at 4 stars on Rivals. Also has picked up an offer from Ga Tech. A lot of others still recruiting as well. We had a legitimate shot at him but for whatever reason the coach did not prioritize him.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]