If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly on knowing..."everyone". :P
Sly Fox wrote:I've had a mic in front of everyone.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thankfully those days of schlepping around practices and locker rooms are behind me.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Finally, Sly drops another name...
A few years ago I covered a game where Tracy McGrady scored 11 points in the final 30 seconds to lead the Rockets to a victory over the Spurs.
By JMUDukes
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Finally, Sly drops another name...
A few years ago I covered a game where Tracy McGrady scored 11 points in the final 30 seconds to lead the Rockets to a victory over the Spurs.
that game STILL gives me nightmares as a Spurs fan.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Back on topic: SLY on the Prez
Sly Fox wrote:I was still single and while covering games at the Erwin Center I would sit next to the man who would later become our 43rd President. The man loves popcorn as much as the Horns.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I was due.
By flames1971
Registration Days Posts
JDUB wrote:dick vital haha. he is the same in person as on tv. i met him at a duke game
You spelled his name wrong- it's VITALE. :D
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
flames1971 wrote:
JDUB wrote:dick vital haha. he is the same in person as on tv. i met him at a duke game
You spelled his name wrong- it's VITALE. :D
You may have just killed the thread.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Sly on Robert Flores from Sportscenter
Sly Fox wrote:Easy on Robert. He's not the most dynamic guy but he's been a friend of mine for many years. The suits in Bristol appear to be trying to turn him into somebody he is not.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Jonathan Falwell told me as we walked into NRB a month ago that Ed has no thought untwittered.

Yeah, I know this is headed to that thread.
^^^ right you are
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Incidentally, I now have some connections into the Jacksonville athletic department. I am working those angles to hear what they have shaking as well for those of you who mentioned them earlier in the thread.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:
Incidentally, Clyde the Glide sat a few seats in front of me last night on my flight home from Orlando.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:One of my dad's buddies is piloting a mission in November. They are cramming in as many missions as possible before the shuttle's kill date.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
its a liberal interpretation of the rules.

1. You clearly have a relationship/encounter(s) with your father.

2. You clearly stated that your father has a relationship/encounter(s) with astronauts.

3. You are intimating a causal relationship with NASA

1+2 = 3

I win.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Just spent a little free time reading this whole thread. Made me laugh often! :lol: One thing with which I simply cannot come to grips is this line:
Sly Fox wrote:Sports celebs are no big deal.
How can you possibly justify that against the kind of name-dropping banter that this entire thread represents?? Sly, you never pass on a completely unnecesary opportunity to tell the world you know someone that society has popularized! What other reason could there be for such behavior, except that you seem to believe that readers will find your often obscure connections actually a VERY big deal?!

(I'm really not trying to be harsh, though I can see how it might come across that way. I just had to say something after laughing hard when I read that line!)
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:... you never pass on a completely unnecessary opportunity to tell the world you know someone that society has popularized! What other reason could there be for such behavior...
Seeing that Sly fits into that "popularized" category, I'd venture to say that it isn't a big deal for him to hob-nob with others like himself! :D
By Th3rd
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Anybody old enough to have been a Tecmo player knows Wayne was off the charts as a return man and DB. I need to pass this onto him if he hasn't seen it yet. He lives in Memphis.
By Th3rd
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Uh, never said there was an encounter. Although we did have classes together back in the day.
it still counts
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
whmatthews wrote:
Sly on Ahmadinejad
I walked right by Ahmadinejad at the GCC Summit in Qatar this past June and almost didn't realize who it was until I saw a horde of media chase after him. I couldn't believe how small of a security detail he had with him.
I agree with RTF once again (this is starting to become a bad habit) as far as the rhetoric being a distraction from issues at home. Young Iranians look at the prosperity just across the persian Gulf in the Emirates, Qatar and Bahrain and wonder why they aren't doing better themselves.
Sly you should've taken one for the world and done us ALL a favor... just saying...lol
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I've spent more time with the man he originally took the belt from back in the '70s, Ken Norton Sr.
AND Sly knows Larry Holmes.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly on NBA coach Jerry Sloan. Play Basketball
Sly Fox wrote:I covered his cheap shot artist-filled teams in the Western Conference for many years.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
While watching our future Flames play at a high school preseason tourney today, I bumped into one of the all-time greats in the parking lot.

Dream with my boy in his Flames gear. Word.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]