If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Anytime you see that Sly has covered someone, knows someone, saw someone play high school ball, or has walked by them, post it here.

Sly on Jay Bruce:
I saw him play in high school and as a lifelong Reds fan (albeit in remission) I have been stoked to see what he has done thus far. He has the potential to be one of the game's greats in the next few years. Or he could flame out ... one way or the other the Reds have been blessed with young talent the past couple of seasons with Josh Hamilton (yeah, I realize he wasn't that young) and Edinson this year (thanks Rangers).
Sly on Ahmadinejad
I walked right by Ahmadinejad at the GCC Summit in Qatar this past June and almost didn't realize who it was until I saw a horde of media chase after him. I couldn't believe how small of a security detail he had with him.

I agree with RTF once again (this is starting to become a bad habit) as far as the rhetoric being a distraction from issues at home. Young Iranians look at the prosperity just across the persian Gulf in the Emirates, Qatar and Bahrain and wonder why they aren't doing better themselves.
[/quote]
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Back in the day, Calvin Murphy used to pull off those types of ensembles for Rockets telecasts. He works at the same radio station as me and he pulls them out for remotes. Its easy to pick out Calvin in these pics:

By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox on Roy Williams
Sly Fox wrote:I covered the state track meet in Austin when Roy was a senior in high school for Permian (of Friday Night Lights fame) and he ran like a 10.25 100m, long jumped like 25'+, triple jumped over 50' and high jumped like 6' 8" ... all without barely breaking a sweat. I was following him around because he had signed with UT and I have never witnessed someone who more of a true natural athlete. He would've been great in any sport. But when you grow up in Texas you really have little choice.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
This thread could be endless. We need to start one with Scar as well and see who has more :lol:
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Which is why I doubt all three will be first ballot inductees. Anybody on here who knows any of the voters knows what I am talking about.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Sly on JC Watts:
Sly Fox wrote:Oh yeah, I've met him and he seems like a quality guy for a Sooner
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Not bragging, but I could get into this game;)

I spent 5 years working for the Wizards, Capitals, Redskins, and the MCI Center. Spoke with Prince, Billy Joel, Jordon, Shaq, Reggie Miller, Gretzky, to name a few, and turned off Chris Webber's Hummer and gave him the keys in the locker room - when he parked and left his car running.

Had Ronald Reagan at my first Birthday Party, eat lunch with Jerry Buss and Tony Bennett in College, went to the first screening of back to the Future with Michael J. Fox...

Beat that Sly Fox and Scar!!! :)
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:A couple of small school guys jump to mind in my boy Calvin Murphy from Buffalo and Robert Parrish from Centenary.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:Not bragging, but I could get into this game;)
Nope, sure doesn't sound like it.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'm not even going to start...yall may have to open up a new thread...no a new forum!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
That's why he made it for Sly and not you guys. Sly routinely brags about who he has seen or knows or blah blah blah.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
He's kinda a big deal...people know his name :D
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
I was related to Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat for about two weeks through marriage after I was born. Beat that everyone.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
whmatthews wrote:I was related to Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat for about two weeks through marriage after I was born. Beat that everyone.
Here's how you beat that...didnt he die of a drug overdose? :shock: :D 8)
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:
whmatthews wrote:I was related to Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat for about two weeks through marriage after I was born. Beat that everyone.

Here's how you beat that...didnt he die of a drug overdose? :shock: :D 8)
ummmm...no...he is still a backstage agent with the WWE....you should google this stuff first....especially since he was just recently on tv....
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Just doing my little part to keep you entertained. 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:Not bragging, but I could get into this game;) ...Beat that Sly Fox:)
But it's NOT about you, Proto. :brownbag :offtopic
it's about SLY. :blahblah :exactly
Last edited by Cider Jim on June 6th, 2008, 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'm starting to think I was pimped out as a child...my mom gave me a scrap book today that had pictures of me and people holding me or with me in the pictures and they are signed by whoever it was...some of the people were Ted Williams, Doc Gooden, Lefty Gomez (and he gave me his bow tie b/c apparently i liked it), Dick Vital (@ spring training), Bobby Richardson in the Yankees clubhouse, Reggie Jackson, Brooks Robinson, Bill Waltonand a bunch of other people...but it was funny she gave me that while this thread of name dropping was goin on

P.S. Reggie Jackson is a jerk

No way CJ...we all want in!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly on interviewing Ricky Williams (while wearing his helmet):
Sly Fox wrote:Trust me, I used to have to deal with it after practice his Heisman season on the one day a week he would talk. He later claimed it was anxiety-related. I doubt it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:I'm starting to think I was pimped out as a child...my mom gave me a scrap book today that had pictures of me and people holding me or with me in the pictures and they are signed by whoever it was...some of the people were Ted Williams, Doc Gooden, Lefty Gomez (and he gave me his bow tie b/c apparently i liked it), Dick Vital (@ spring training), Bobby Richardson in the Yankees clubhouse, Reggie Jackson, Brooks Robinson, Bill Waltonand a bunch of other people...but it was funny she gave me that while this thread of name dropping was goin on

P.S. Reggie Jackson is a jerk

No way CJ...we all want in!
this thread is about sly...
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
dick vital haha. he is the same in person as on tv. i met him at a duke game
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
This was 10 years ago...didnt recognize him right off the bat b/c he was wearing a hat...simple question "seen any good college basketball games in a while" "HAVE I, LET ME TELL YOU" then we knew it was him
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I like Dick much better in person than on air. I'm not around the college game as much now as I was a decade ago. But he used to take pictures with everybody and my station even sponsored a Dickie V look & sound-alike contest that came into town early to judge. Great guy.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I like Dick much better in person than on air. I'm not around the college game as much now as I was a decade ago. But he used to take pictures with everybody and my station even sponsored a Dickie V look & sound-alike contest that came into town early to judge. Great guy.
Here's another one I just found to add to the list.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]