If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
On William Wallace, Braveheart
Sly Fox wrote:
blwall1416 wrote:
olldflame wrote:A William Wallace costume might be appropriate.
Hey, let's leave my ancestor out of this.
I am a direct ancestor of Wallace, the Bruce and Longshanks. Genealogy can actually be fun.

** Retreating to my corner of geekness muttering about steering this topic even further off topic **
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Sly on Olympian Chad Hedrick
I first met Chad 5-6 years ago when I did some stories on him as he was shocking the skating world making the transition from inline champion to the ice. He was an unbelievably arrogant guy but a compelling story based on a Texan taking to the ice. I interacted with him more four years ago when I was working for the NBC station that was working with him to produce Olympic pieces. Even the other Olympians were a bit taken back by his swagger.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly & Ron Paul:
Sly Fox wrote:I have followed Ron Paul since I first interviewed him two decades ago.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Don't forget new WVU Athletic Director Oliver Luck.

Yeah, Sly. Amidst all the realignment talk yesterday, that one didn't miss my notice!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly's connections to the movie industry:
Sly Fox wrote:I have connections with Rich Christiano who did the Sperry movie and a bunch of others that seem to be regulars on TBN.
By Th3rd
Registration Days Posts
Sly's connection to Ron Artest
Sly Fox wrote:He's actually a pretty cool guy from my experience when he doesn't let his temper take over him.
maybe a stretch, but still
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
There was a Sly sighting on WSET tonight, as he was interviewed on camera at Poplar Forest. :shock:
"It's really exciting to see them, and get a chance to dig down and discover the wealth and riches that we've got right here in Central Virginia," said Poplar Forest visitor Randy Sumner.
http://www.wset.com/Global/story.asp?S=13294091

Surprisingly, there was no reference to Texas in his quote, probably thanks to some good editing work at WSET. :wink:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:And for the record, Luke was one of my favorite Astros to chat with back in the day. He loves talking about hunting, fishing & Jesus.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Has it really been 2 whole months since our friend Sly dropped a name? :wink:
Sly Fox wrote:I really started to see the tide shifting in the mid '90s when I was covering Drew Brees at Austin Westlake.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
not really an "encounter" but just as ridiculous
Sly Fox wrote:Welcome to the board!

I don't see kendo references often. I have a cousin in Japan who is a grand Master and world champion. I find it all ridiculously cool. But I'd never be able to talk my wife into letting my son switch from TKD.
yes. of course you do. :roll:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
and don't forget the Darrell Royal thread
Sly Fox wrote:In my many interactions with him back in my Austin days, he was always a thoughtful gentleman.
not just one. "many" interactions
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Calvin Murphy: who was taller--Murphy or Medic?
Sly Fox wrote:Little C was a serious baller, ridiculously snappy dresser and incidentally a former colleague of mine back in my radio days.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I watched him perform. Not exactly an encounter by my definition. But this does remind me that I have been derelict in my name dropping duties.

8)
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I covered Kliff (Kingsbury) in high school and in college and as an assistant coach at UH. It hardly seems possible for him to be old enough to be a head coach at a BCS level university. But he certainly has a terrific offensive mind.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Okay, Sly's dad posted this, but since Sly is related to him, I thought this should at least get honorable mention on this thread: :wink:
My uncle, Pap Honore, won the IMAC sprint car championship 7 years in a row in the late '50s and early 60s with an Offenhauser engine
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm always happy to offer additional information about my family ...

Wikipedia on Hector Honore

It was a big thrill for me to chat with AJ Foyt about Uncle Hector. AJ called beating the Black Deuce one of the biggest thrills of his early career. Uncle Hector raced a few of his cars in the Indy 500 with meager success.

For those wondering, the sprint car series is what grew into today's World of Outlaws series after they started putting the big wings on the vehicles to keep them from flying off the short tracks.

That's Uncle hector with the cap on and Pistol Pete Folse Sr. behind the wheel of the Black Deuce.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly on knowing CSU women's head coach Fred Applin.
Sly Fox wrote:I immediately recognized their new coach. He was Jody Conradt's top assistant back int eh day when I covered the Lady Longhorns.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Does "Mrs. Sly" count? :lol:
Sly Fox wrote:Derek went ot high school with Mrs. Sly and is probably based known for two things:

• * Member of '90s CCM act Caedmons Call
    * Uttering bad words in a few songs

I believe I saw him singing in the Second Baptist Christmas production a few weeks back here in Houston. I'm not a huge fan but I like what he is doing with NoiseTrade to share free music.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Sly on knowing some hardcore, inner-city teachers...
Sly Fox wrote:TFA is not for the weak at heart. They place people in some pretty hardcore situations. I know a guy who just finished up two years in inner-city Denver and he is completely drained. Incidentally he is headed to grad school right now in DC.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Another name dropped by Sly...Brent Thibodeaux‏:
I've known Brent for about 15 years dating back to when I was just the third ever poster on the Texas State board he started back when they were still called SWT. He is well connected and rarely step out on limbs.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I've casually know Brent for about 15 years or so. In fact when he started up the board that is now the Rivals site I was the 3rd ever member. All his sources are probably in San Marcos. But they are likely solid.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wow, I just got back from a technology fast with Mrs. Sly in Europe to see this name that is a blast from the past. I covered Omar when he was a star player for Rice back in a short window under Willis Wilson where they actually had some talent. Very smart kid based on my interviews with him as an Owl. Oh yeah, they don't let anyone BUT smart kids into Rice. I believe he may have even been involved in Jesse's recruitment to Rice before Willis was forced out.-Sly
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]