If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
What's the point of having moderators if they're not going to moderate? Instead, you guys going back and forth trying to get ball coach to provide sources over and over clutters up the board and actually takes away from the discussion.
adam42381 liked this
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 8th, 2020, 11:03 am What's the point of having moderators if they're not going to moderate? Instead, you guys going back and forth trying to get ball coach to provide sources over and over clutters up the board and actually takes away from the discussion.
I’ve asked this question for a while. They don’t want to moderate and it’s incredibly frustrating when contrasted to other boards.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
yeah it seems an odd sword to die on. there have been just as many crackpot theories on many other topics posted by numbers of our crazy posters, this just seems par for the course quite frankly.

if someone chooses that post to be the representation of what flamefans is than i have no desire for their interaction anyway.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Full disclosure, I am way more irritable these days than normal and I am probably being way more argumentative than I normally would be. Feel free to use this thread to continue to give constructive criticism of all things forum related, including moderation. When surveyed last year the overwhelming response was that less moderation was better so I have taken that approach but empower the other moderators to moderate as they feel fit.

Follow this link for the list of moderators and if you have any issue with a post or a moderator, feel free to reach out to any of us.

memberlist.php?mode=team
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m all for a loose hand. ballcoach has put forth a crazy idea and it needs to stay exposed for all to see. He needs to retract it or back it up. The fact that he has done neither isnt the moderators fault. I am more than happy to have the Moderators keep a loose hand on topics. People are taking personal shots at each other from time to time but this has not gotten bad. The only suggestion I would make is putting a Pause on members when they make statements like that. But even that seems a slippery slope.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I still read quite a bit, but obviously post much less nowadays. And the blatant ignorance espoused by that guy really leads me to ghost more quickly than I would have in the past. Take it for what it’s worth. I’m embarrassed to be associated with him most of the time.
Despite his admirable military service.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jon’s right: incoherence and ignorance can’t be defended. I suspect the only reason we try is the vain hope the ignorant and incoherent will admit their ignorance and incoherence.

He won’t because he can’t. In this, as in so many things, perspective is key.

At best, our hope could be to win those in darkness over to the light. At worst, we just want to beat them and prove we’re right by having them admit it. But if we truly feel that way about our adversary, why do we care so much about their admissions?

I can’t allow myself to get sucked in any longer.

“Neve argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Fair questions. There is more than one moderator so if you feel you are being mistreated feel free to follow the link I shared above and reach out.

Personal attacks shouldn't happen regardless of who it is.

With that said, there are certain members who only come on here to confront others and rarely contribute to the board otherwise. That is in clear violation of board policies.

I don't like to run this place with a very heavy hand but there is a line.
ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. I followed the link and was surprised to see a Moderator complaining about the lack of moderation.
makarov97, TH Spangler liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: April 8th, 2020, 8:44 pm Yeah. I followed the link and was surprised to see a Moderator complaining about the lack of moderation.
I told Posty this in a PM earlier today:

I didn’t realize I had the authority to actually moderate. I knew I had access to the tools from helping on the technical side, but I didn’t realize I was in the role. I’d crossed that line before and tried to stay as far away as possible so as not to do it again.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
makarov97 wrote: April 8th, 2020, 8:50 pm

3. Active moderators should be held to the strictest of standards, far beyond anything than an ordinary poster is held to. Even the appearance of partiality or impropriety should result in a removal of the moderator privileges.
Should that also apply to the leadership at LU? Asking for a friend...
thepostman, adam42381 liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
"Everything in moderation. Including moderation." - Oscar Wilde
chris leedlelee liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A couple of posters are too hung up on "sources or links". If someone makes a post, I assume it to be somewhat factual, unless later evidence, surfaces to say otherwise. I don't think anyone intentionally posts a lie, on the board. granted sometimes, someone may be misinformed. And we must remember, a huge % of message board traffic is opinion based.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I see your point but it is important to include sources to help validate your argument. If you don't, you need to be prepared to defend your statement. It is how discussion boards work and it how life works as well.

This goes for me, you and anybody else.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
And also, it would help if some were more versed in the "Xs & Os" of the 4 major sports, and less on psychology.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 11:20 am A couple of posters are too hung up on "sources or links". If someone makes a post, I assume it to be somewhat factual, unless later evidence, surfaces to say otherwise. I don't think anyone intentionally posts a lie, on the board. granted sometimes, someone may be misinformed. And we must remember, a huge % of message board traffic is opinion based.
If you don’t have an actual valid source or link how can one know if the previous statement is accurate? Now if the original post had a link to the source that allows debate. Otherwise we just have to go with the past history of the veracity of said posters statements. Some are more woeful than others
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 13th, 2020, 12:31 pm Did someone say sources?
Name dropping counts for you! :D
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You were the king of #sources for a while but most of the time yours were pretty accurate. It use to drive me crazy. Haha
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:04 pm
You were the king of #sources for a while but most of the time yours were pretty accurate. It use to drive me crazy. Haha
Exactly. You knew if Fox said he had #sources there was a solid chance they had reliable information. Over time he earned the benefit of the doubt and gained credibility (if it wasn’t already there). Over time others have proven their #sources and prognostications are basically to be dismissed out of hand
By Class of 20Something
Lots to catch up on.

1. I’ve had issues with restraint when it comes to responding to ballcoach’s posts, especially when his unsubstantiated claims detract from conversation focus.

2. Like @thepostman I’ve been a bit more irritable lately and have been staying off the forums as a whole to moderate/post when I’m of clear mind.

3. I do believe that it is not only plausible but rather likely that @ballcoach15 has had a somewhat negative effect on thread quality, current user participation, and new user participation.

4. I would propose a adaptation or addition to “Rule 3. Make an Effort to Contribute.” As @adam42381 has mentioned, stricter sourcing requirements for claims and linking articles should be the standard.

4.b This pretty clearly targets ball coach. I’ll openly admit that, but enforcement would elevate the quality of posts while setting an achievable bar. I cannot accept that Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V is too high a bar. The burden would be in place for all users even if its a bigger jump for one.

5. I like the idea of pauses. I would think graduated systems of suspension length would be appropriate for all rule enforcement. To keep suspensions above reproach I would recommend at least one admin and one other moderator(admin or otherwise).

6. When I became a moderator, I took any users previously on my foe list off. I did not and do not believe that moderators should block the posts of any users outside of the moderator responsibilities. This not only inhibits moderator ability to enforce posts but reduces our ability to understand the general pulse on the board.

7. I am okay however with users being able to block moderators as long as moderators can still functionally communicate directly within their duties as moderators.

8. To directly respond to ballcoachs post. There is quite literally a logical fallacy about this. The presumption that anything on the internet is fact based is inherently wrong as well. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

9. The mods are human. We do our best to stay impartial and even. We don’t always succeed. That said, we do talk offline and discuss better ways to handle situations.

10. Y’all are a lot of fun and for the most part the mods don’t have to do all that much. Following the classic 80/20 rule, we spend 80% of the time talking about 20% of the posts. But for the majority of everyone here, y’all are great!
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]