If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Being on a message board has a pretty negative reputation with it. People love reading, but they don’t want to be known as one of those crazy people on the message boards.
This.

Also at a former school I was at The AD literally walked into my office because he found out I was on this board and a certain coach was interviewing on campus and he wanted info and he thought I knew more than he did (I did). But he wasn't too happy about it. I told him as an alum of a school that up until that point had almost zero to do with the school I was at he'd have a hard time making a case for me not being on this board. I gave him the info he wanted (something he should have known as an AD) and he left me alone. but there definitely is a negative connotation to it especially with larger boards with more influence. then you have the SEC and ACC boards which are just a dumpster fire most of the time.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I see what you're saying but I think we can make this a more inviting place and honestly the same things can be said about any social media. I can't spend longer than 5 minutes at a time on Facebook or Twitter. I think there are ways for this place to be special. It doesn't have to be a dumpster fire.

Most people aren't working within college athletics but you certiantly bring an unique point of view.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote:I see what you're saying but I think we can make this a more inviting place and honestly the same things can be said about any social media. I can't spend longer than 5 minutes at a time on Facebook or Twitter. I think there are ways for this place to be special. It doesn't have to be a dumpster fire.
The difference is there's not a stigma placed on you if you're on Facebook or Twitter like there is on a message board.

Message boards are known as places where anonymous people say things they'd never say in real life.

I see where you're coming from, but I really think you're underestimating the perception outside people have on those who post on message boards.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:On some boards, posters are more sensitive than a Liberal woman. And on some, all they do is "kiss up to each other".
This type of misogynistic crap is why people (especially women) don’t stick around.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:On some boards, posters are more sensitive than a Liberal woman. And on some, all they do is "kiss up to each other".
This type of misogynistic crap is why people (especially women) don’t stick around.
Which brings the debate on moderation. What is too much moderation? In the past I have been very much against it but maybe the lack of moderation is scaring people off? I don't know. It is certainly a delicate balance.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
Which brings the debate on moderation. What is too much moderation? In the past I have been very much against it but maybe the lack of moderation is scaring people off? I don't know. It is certainly a delicate balance.
I don’t know the answer to this question, but I do know that one board that I’m on has pretty intense moderation which seems to foster healthier debates and fewer one liners. They also require that you support your positions with data/links instead of just making blanket drive-by statements. It’s not a huge board. I just checked and there are there are 7,965 members and currently there are 321 online right now (93 members, 197 guests and 31 bots). For comparison, this place has 3,209 members and 9 online right now (4 members, 4 bots, 1 hidden).
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]