If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Rubicon
Just wanted to introduce myself before posting here. I'm not going to be super-prolific, but I have been lurking for a bit and do plan on posting some now and in the future.

I'm a Mormon, married for 21 years, and a father of three boys and a girl (ages 18, 16, 14, and 12. It's an even-numbered year . . . :wink: ). I've served twice as a bishop (local congregation, lay leadership), but have recently moved and am a regular congregant again. I graduated from BYU in 1999 in Secondary Education (English), and have certified in Biology, Middle School Science, and German along the way. While I taught public school English and science for 13 years, I have taught high school German for the last three, and that is the wave I am riding into retirement. It's a lot of fun, and I have a really good group of students every year. It's really not fair, compared to core subjects or even Spanish, because all of my students choose my class because they want to take it ---- and that makes a big difference.

We do a lot of things as a family. My oldest is a freshman at NAU (Northern Arizona University) and will apply to serve his mission as his freshman year draws to a close. I enjoy college sports (pro sports less and less), and am a voracious reader (everything, not really one genre).

I'm interested in all of the recent independents (UMASS, NMSU, Liberty, etc.), and pull for them to be successful. It might be a pipe dream, but any erosion of the power conference death grip would be great, so I would love to see success from all independents. With even more independents, scheduling would become less of a headache, especially in late autumn. I also see a lot of similarities in what Liberty faces and what BYU has faced and to an extent, still does. One thing that put Liberty more on my radar was extremely negative comments on other teams' message boards when games with Liberty have been announced ("Why are we playing these guys?," "Scheduling these guys legitimizes them," etc.). I empathize with the uphill battle Liberty has in battling people who don't want it to do well because they don't like it as a non-Catholic private religious school. So, unless playing BYU, I'm pulling for Liberty to do well!

I'll check in periodically to respond to any comments people might have.

Thanks!
By cruzan_flame13
:welcome Very glad to have you on ASOR. I definitely appreciate you message and I do hope the best for BYU until we play them. Don't be a stranger! :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Greetings! I am planning on being in Provo next fall for the game. It does seem odd but we do have a great deal of kinship through our circumstances.
By Rubicon
Great atmosphere for visitors! When I was a student, I drew 50 yard line seats for the Notre Dame game in my student ticket package (tickets were randomly allotted, from end zone to "okay" to prime. Luck of the draw). Man, do they travel well! It was neat to interact with various Notre Dame fans in town for the game.

It would be really neat to go to the Liberty away game, or a UVA game (I follow them pretty closely since most of BYU's coaching staff went there with the Mendenhall hire).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Welcome! All I know is I don’t wanna Cross you!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]