If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
FlameFans is dated and could use an upgrade. Another forum I participate in more regularly is moving to discourse. I don't know if any of y'all are familiar with the platform or not. There are things I like about it... but I am still getting to know it. So this isn't quite a recommendation, but rather a "what do you think"?

http://www.jonobacon.org/2015/01/13/dis ... hemselves/

http://www.discourse.org
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am on VirginiaPreps and the Virginia Tech site. Both recently went to a new format. It's terrible.
I haven't been on the VA Preps site in years. I didn't really like the old format
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
VA Preps just runs on whatever format Rivals has chosen nationally. No decisions are made by the staff in Virginia.

I was the one of the two who made the decision to go with PHP a decade. El Scorcho was the guiding force and we haven't had much reason to complain over the years. The templates we are using are rather ancient and could use an upgrade. But that's a Manson/BYD decision these days.

I checked out some of the samples for Discourse and while it does have a Reddit feel to it. I'm not sure it is markedly better than what we already have and feel comfortable running. But perhaps the 10th anniversary of the site would be a perfrect time for an upgrade. Incidentally that occurs in Late December.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Just now saw this. We could look into a change/upgrade, but we would definitely have to raise funds to make a change.
I'd toss in a couple of bucks but not sure we need much change. Only one I'd like is to be able to post pics etc from files instead of online sites.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The only update I would like is a more mobile responsive site since I post almost exclusively from my phone. I would also be willing to contribute and I am sure others would be as well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This software could be adjusted using admin tools to allow the pics from files. But it eats up a ton of server space. While it would be more convenient at times, it is not really practical unless we own our own servers. It would be fairly simple to drop a new PHP template into our software. That's why we have two to choose from right now.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I'll be honest, I don't have any issues with the current software. I'm an active member of several message boards and this one works as smoothly as any. Sure, there are better features available, but I don't know that the cost involved is worth it.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I don't mind ads...it's more some of the ad content on the site that I have issues with.

I know some will say "well, it's targeting you based on..."

Trust me, I've never been in the market for a young asian bride nor do I frequent similar areas.

I think there may be something wrong with the advertising algorithm used.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I'm with Adam on this, I don't really see any need for an update or change. It's a message board, not like we're collaborating on breakthroughs in astrophysics here.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'd like it if we could find other coding to post videos other than those from YouTube. But we had a thread about that – not sure how it was ever resolved. Vimeo comes to mind
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
This is the best forum software I've ever used: https://xenforo.com/

The CMS is amazing and the quality feels a lot like gmail in the content creation. It also has great social engagement tools to keep people coming back.

I've been using it at: www.phantompilots.com/forums/

Of course I have (for years now!) requested a mobile site or app like tapatalk. :)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Take your complaints to the new management, HMO. HaHa

We actually did a have a mobile version of the site back in the early days of FlameFans before smartphone technology improved. But we abandoned it years ago as unnecessary.

El Scorcho had us on the leading edge of board software a decade ago. I am still grateful for his hard work.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]