If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Man this place is killing me right now. I don't even want to read the Men's BB forum, and football is slowly getting that way. Fortunately there are football games to talk about.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
And I rarely read all the posts in the Lynchburg Life or even check the Courtyard anymore.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The thing that annoys me the most these days is it seems every section has somebody starting something and they come off like they have some massive butthurt about Liberty. Whether its ToC and his beef with the AD or the thing about baseball alumni or the "Future of Liberty"...I much liked the board when the worst thing that happened was me being an idiot or something.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The antidote is to start discussions heading in the proper discussion. I admit that i have been somewhat lax in this area with travel. But it is incumbent on us to step up to keep things heading in the proper direction.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Without calling out specific people, I'd be curious to know what it is that's gone downhill so much. I'm not saying I disagree with any of you. Not at all. I just want to understand it better from the perspectives of others.

If we need to change some things, I'm not opposed to it. I just want to understand the need better first.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Everything has turned into a pissing contest with people who have an axe to grind. It's not FlameFans.com. It's PeopleWhoArePissedAtLiberty.com.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Everything has turned into a pissing contest with people who have an axe to grind. It's not FlameFans.com. It's PeopleWhoArePissedAtLiberty.com.
what he said
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed...It pains me to look at a section and when certain usernames come up, I know its not going to be positive. I mean Sly has said on many occasions that we dont have a problem with dissenting opinion, but it is at least expected that from people who disagree, they at least try to keep some decorum, but when so many posts sound like

"WAAAAAHHHH!!! (insert Liberty affiliated person here) did me wrong!! Im just going to complain about it everywhere instead of trying to contribute meaningful discussion...WAAAAHHHHH!!!" You can only take so much of that...
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I would agree with that as well Jon, although last weekend I was in the middle of covering four hockey games and hadn't slept well and couldn't think straight. Of course there are a few people Ive had quite enough of and seeing jlread practically go cliff diving in Acapulco after the Montana game touched a nerve as well.
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
This used to be a fun board where we support our teams. Now that things (specifically BBall Baseball and recently football) haven't go the way folks think they should - the answer is almost always personal attacks and throwing folks under the bus. I also agree with the ax grinding. Look, I know all can't be crazy homers like me, and I'm OK with dissention or disagreement, but it shouldn't end up in personal attacks. IMHO
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
well, it's a lot of new people coming in recently not having been a part of the same old conversations and engaging, in combination with losing. Losing the the catalyst for every problem around here
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:well, it's a lot of new people coming in recently not having been a part of the same old conversations and engaging, in combination with losing. Losing the the catalyst for every problem around here
The only thing I'd change about what you said is that the people engaging in the old conversations are doing it in a way to degrade people. I was the worst for starting e-fights but the ones lately are on a completely different level.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I will continue to lurk...but I can't even post anymore because so many different people are just so over the top ridiculous that anything that I could say will be incredibly negative. That was clear when I allowed myself to post early, early this morning.

So I will continue to lurk because this place provides great info/news as far as liberty goes, but it has grown into what every message board grows into. This has long been the only message board I post on because it was unique. People could discuss things without being unreasonable, now its not like that.

So I am done for a while, or maybe for good...who knows
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Can't you guys ignore people? Foe-ing doesn't help because others quote. But you could just read the idiocy, shake your head, and not respond.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As I said before, I miss the times when the worst thing that would happen in a given week is me being the village idiot
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Schorchy, I'm going to bring it up again. Let's take a look at increasing the amount of voices heard by making it more accessible by using the Tapatalk system. If it was as convenient to post on here as it was using the XDA mobile app then I'd be back on here all the time and I think more students and some of our professionals that are living busy lives would too.

Take a look at the XDA app...its brilliant...and from what I understand is not that bad to implement since the framework is pretty much already laid out.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
So, based on the responses so far, there seem to be four separate issues.

1. Too much anger at Liberty.

2. People who are too vocal in their opposition to the current state of athletics.

3. People who just aren't being kind to other members.

4. Usability of the site.

I think that numbers 3 and 4 are something that can be worked on. Sly and I are both hyper-aware of number 3 right now. We're working on that already. I will definitely revisit the last one as I have time.

I'm not so sure about 1 and 2, though. The main problem with it is that this board can't just be a place for the so-called "homers". There is a strong resistance here to anyone who expresses any sort of dissent. Sometimes it's absolutely deserved, but I feel like too often anymore it's a "you're either for us or against us" attitude. It's just not feasible to hold that view when we're discussing something like college athletics. There should definitely be limits (especially with re-hashing old arguments), but it can't be homer-ville either.

Tell me if I'm wrong here. I'm willing to hear it.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I certainly agree with your point (and am chief among sinners for #3, especially of late) about this not becoming another "homer-ville". I can understand disagreeing to a point but there needs to be a logical point where you have to stop and move on (and the lack of that I think brings #3 more to light). If someone keeps bringing that to light (the ToC issue), then a friendly note from you or Sly privately might help things before half the board piles on like its a fumbled football. If they persist, THEN they can be deleted or some other action taken.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:The main problem with it is that this board can't just be a place for the so-called "homers". There is a strong resistance here to anyone who expresses any sort of dissent. Sometimes it's absolutely deserved, but I feel like too often anymore it's a "you're either for us or against us" attitude. It's just not feasible to hold that view when we're discussing something like college athletics. There should definitely be limits (especially with re-hashing old arguments), but it can't be homer-ville either.

I think you are. We're all for people disagreeing with Liberty and many of us even do. It's when people can't be objective and only come around to tick and moan and bring up the same exact arguments all the time.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
El Scorcho wrote:The main problem with it is that this board can't just be a place for the so-called "homers". There is a strong resistance here to anyone who expresses any sort of dissent. Sometimes it's absolutely deserved, but I feel like too often anymore it's a "you're either for us or against us" attitude. It's just not feasible to hold that view when we're discussing something like college athletics. There should definitely be limits (especially with re-hashing old arguments), but it can't be homer-ville either.

I think you are. We're all for people disagreeing with Liberty and many of us even do. It's when people can't be objective and only come around to tick and moan and bring up the same exact arguments all the time.
I do understand that part, too. I've said as much recently in both the football and basketball forums. I think we may have to have some rules to address re-hashing arguments that have been done ad infinitum. We can handle that.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
What SJ said. It's one thing to be a homer, it's another thing to come here only for your agenda.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]