If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Devin Olson
Registration Days Posts
Hey guys! I finally decided to join after being a lurker the past several years.

A little about myself:

I came to LU in the fall of 2006 and graduated in May 2010 (and got married the day after graduation to the woman of my dreams!) I started an audiovisual production career while at LU (doing random little videos every month on YouTube) and now run a thriving business thanks to the amazing opportunities I had through LU.

My hobby is traveling the country riding roller coasters, and I run COASTER-net, a community for theme park and coaster nerds like myself.

I'm probably the only person on here who doesn't follow sports, but I follow LU on a daily basis and would truly be the school's #1 fan if that title weren't already taken!

I didn't join FlameFans for years simply because I didn't think I could contribute as much as you guys do, but I do carry my camera whenever I'm around LU, and I've seen all of the requests for pictures of the latest changes on campus, so I think (and hope) I can contribute in some capacity to the community here!

That's a little about myself so I'm not a complete stranger here! Looking forward to contributing in the future, and see you guys around!

Devin

PS-- If this needs to be merged with the old "New to FlameFans" topic, a mod can feel free to do so!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
welcome aboard and post away. Pix are always welcome esp for those of us hrs away
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A/V guys are always welcome around here. Don't be shy about posting. We don't consider ourselves an exclusive bunch by any stretch of the imagination.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I still remember the JMU game two years ago Devin...seeing you out there still taking video and pictures in the pouring rain...that's commitment right there
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Welcome. We're always glad to see another from our growing alumni-base jump in to FlameFans. Can't wait to see some of your work!
By Devin Olson
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome! You can check out some of my work at http://devinolson.com/ if you're curious or find me on YouTube (username: BlastCoaster87).

If anyone ever has picture requests for anything at LU, feel free to post them in any of their pertinent topics and I'll see what I can do.

BJ-- I'm so thankful for that night at the JMU game when my camera got destroyed, because it finally forced me to upgrade from a point-and-shoot to a DSLR (despite me having to use all my life savings to do so)! It's paid off! :D
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Devin became a minor celebrity thanks to his videos and his business is booming too...I may call on him myself one day
By Devin Olson
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox, I definitely approve of the 7D! Awesome camera. What type of AV work do you usually do?

I myself use Panasonic GH1s at the moment. It looks like I'll be switching over to their GH3s they'll most likely be launching next year, or the drool-inducing Red Scarlet -- whichever launches first!

BJ-- I'd be honored to produce something for you! :)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I spent nearly 20 years working in TV. I bought the camera to shoot shows for the Longhorn Network until ESPN took over control. I just use it for small projects for the family right now.
By Devin Olson
Registration Days Posts
Very cool! So I take it your family's well-adjusted to their every move being documented? Or does the perceived need to document every little thing in life with your camera wear off after 20 years?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Once a reporter, always a reporter. My kids don't know any better than to realize that not all of their friends' lives are documented to the minute. Mrs. Sly iks the only one with veto power.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Devin Olson wrote:
I didn't join FlameFans for years simply because I didn't think I could contribute as much as you guys do,
I want every lurker who reads this post to know that we have a number of completely worthless posters here who continually post, and that you would have to be a complete moron to contribute less than these nameless posters.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
Devin Olson wrote:
I didn't join FlameFans for years simply because I didn't think I could contribute as much as you guys do,
I want every lurker who reads this post to know that we have a number of completely worthless posters here who continually post, and that you would have to be a complete moron to contribute less than these nameless posters.
:exactly
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
LUconn wrote:
Devin Olson wrote:
:exactly
Should I take offense to this? :dontgetit

:D
By Devin Olson
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
Devin Olson wrote:
I'll do my best to take this as a compliment packed chock full of encouragement for the entire FlameFans community! :lol:
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]