If you are new to FlameFans, here is the forum to introduce yourself and learn the ropes of how this community operates. We'll also get you up to speed on the ground rules.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
did we have the new board already when those 09 numbers were being counted?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Two things come to mind that may have decreased the site visits.

1. Friend/Foe feature (this was a positive addition)
2. New default board layout (the RedSilver3 option is easier to navigate)
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
Does anybody actually use this? I also don't see how that would affect traffic
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
SumItUp wrote:
Does anybody actually use this? I also don't see how that would affect traffic
Nope, even forgot it was there. I do use the alternate view from the default though.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Ha. Yeah, it's not the new theme on the board. That happened late in the Summer of last year. Our traffic during Football was about the same as the year before. I will reiterate what I said around that time, however. If someone wants to design a better theme than this, I'm all for it. But the original stunk, in spite of it's ease of use. At least we're using school colors now. When someone brings something better to the table, we'll use it. Until then there are two options and that's all of the work I'm going to put into it.

I think Sly had it right. There hasn't been much controversy or big news. Consider that during the first couple of years this board was online, we had some of the biggest athletics and non-athletics news in the history of LU. The passing of Dr. Falwell, the WBB sweet sixteen run, the football program's turnaround, etc. There was a ton of big LU news during the last few years, and it definitely brought people here.

By comparison, it's been a very quiet year. However, people are still reading. There just hasn't been as much to read.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I won't complain about the lack of traffic ever again. Until next summer.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I won't complain about the lack of traffic ever again. Until next summer.
Boy it really did a number on the database service tonight. It's back up and running but my host emailed me with an upgrade pitch. Ha. They actually said they'd do it at no charge to us. And that's why I'm with them.

LiquidWeb is awesome.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
From the class of 09 wrote:so how many did we have on tonight?
We won't know for 24 hours, if it's even accurate. Once the site went down the statistics stopped being tracked.
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
From the class of 09 wrote:so how many did we have on tonight?
We won't know for 24 hours, if it's even accurate. Once the site went down the statistics stopped being tracked.
so can you enlighten us now?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
From the class of 09 wrote:
olldflame wrote:Less than 128 (at any one time).
More than?
I only know it was less than 128 because on the bottom of the board index page it tells you that was the most people ever on line at one time. It was this January 20, at the height of the discussion about Rocco possibly leaving.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
No, not necessarily. Since the board went down as traffic peaked, we'll probably never know exactly what kind of traffic we got that night. However...

According to Google Analytics we got 1007 visits that day and 11,074 page views from those visitors. 33.57% of those visitors were first-timers and 62% of the traffic was direct. All in all I don't think there was that much traffic as outbound bandwidth last Saturday never went above 1Mb. I think that after the win the database service locked up and it took me a while to get it up and running again, for two reasons. One, because I was having a birthday dinner with friends and fixing it from my phone was not ideal. Two, because the MySQL service refused to stop cleanly and I was afraid to kill it, so I was trying to avoid doing that. In the end I had to cave, but the database survived. Lucky us.

Based on those numbers I'd say it was not really that big of a deal so far as the board goes. We've had much bigger days. It was just that the initial traffic caused a problem that took a bit to recover from since I am not always in front of a computer. :wink:
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
No, not necessarily. Since the board went down as traffic peaked, we'll probably never know exactly what kind of traffic we got that night. However...

According to Google Analytics we got 1007 visits that day and 11,074 page views from those visitors. 33.57% of those visitors were first-timers and 62% of the traffic was direct. All in all I don't think there was that much traffic as outbound bandwidth last Saturday never went above 1Mb. I think that after the win the database service locked up and it took me a while to get it up and running again, for two reasons. One, because I was having a birthday dinner with friends and fixing it from my phone was not ideal. Two, because the MySQL service refused to stop cleanly and I was afraid to kill it, so I was trying to avoid doing that. In the end I had to cave, but the database survived. Lucky us.

Based on those numbers I'd say it was not really that big of a deal so far as the board goes. We've had much bigger days. It was just that the initial traffic caused a problem that took a bit to recover from since I am not always in front of a computer. :wink:
a BIG thank you for all you do Scorch :clapping
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:I am not always in front of a computer. :wink:
Dude, seriously, you don't have to pretend. Not with us.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
and...

happy birthday???
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
So, just FYI, it looks like the MySQL process is crashing because the server is running out of memory when we get a bunch of traffic. My only real option is to limit the amount of memory the process can use. That will keep it from crashing, but it will make things pretty slow when we get a lot of traffic.

There is the alternative of upgrading, but it gets expensive fast, IMHO.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
The paypal button was replaced by the COY button.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:How expensive are we talking?
$20-40 a month more, because we'd have to switch to an entirely different kind of system. It's not worth it, in my opinion. We'll probably continue to have some short term problems, but I'm looking at other options.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
elance.com?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
BUMP:

would love to see the stats from about 7PM tonite on...
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]