Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure who else he is training with this summer up in the Colorado Rockies. But I'm sure someone on the board could fill us in. And I'm liking his summertime eyewear ...
Kenyan speedster wins Strawberry Shortcut 10K in Glenwood Springs
Jason Graham wins third straight 5K

By Jeff Caspersen
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado — As one spectator aptly put it, Sam Chelanga looked as if he were on skates.

The Kenyan, in Colorado for the summer to train for the upcoming college cross-country and track and field season, blitzed a mostly local field at the 31st annual Strawberry Shortcut 10-kilometer foot race in downtown Glenwood Springs Sunday morning.

“He was just playing with us,” said Bernie Boettcher, whose time of 35 minutes, 9.24 seconds garnered a silver finish. “The first mile he was just looking over his shoulder. After a mile and a quarter, he stopped at an aid station to get a drink and dropped back and then, all of a sudden, he came up behind us and just goes whoosh. He picked up more than 50 yards in a quarter mile on us.”
Enough about the race, this is the more interesting to part to most of us ...
That didn’t slow anyone too much, especially Chelanga, who is renting a place in Leadville with a couple of Liberty teammates for a summer of high-altitude training. They’ve been in town for three days and are finding the altitude challenging.

“It’s painful,” said a soft-spoken but confident Chelanga, who scoured the Internet for high-altitude training spots before settling on the Rocky Mountains. “I’m still adjusting to breathing.”

Chelanga is a native of Nairobi, Kenya, and spent the 2006-07 school year competing in track and cross country for Farleigh Dickinson University (N.J.), where he won the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional and Northeast Conference cross country titles and locked down two All-America honors.

His brother, Joshua, is a world-class marathoner.

So far, Sam is finding Colorado to his liking — particularly his mid-June trip to Glenwood Springs.

“I really liked running the race, training and pushing those guys,” he said. “They’ve probably never seen people as fast as us.”
Click Here for Full Story
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Depending on how many guys made the trip with him, this has the potential of being an amazing cross country season.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
More fun for Sammy in Colorado on Wednesday ...
Track star wins STRS event
Baker’s Tank challenges racers for speedy finishes

By Caitlin Row
summit daily news
Summit County, CO Colorado

BRECKENRIDGE — Sam Chelanga, a 22-year-old student and track star from Liberty University in Virginia, won the Baker’s Tank 10K run Wednesday — his second win in the series this summer season.

Virtually sweat-free and smiling when he crossed the finish line, Chelanga won with a time of 36:34 and this race he wore running shorts. (He won the Peak 9 race earlier this summer on a dare, wearing street clothes).

Chelanga, who is living in Leadville for the summer training with teammates, is leaving Colorado next week.
Click Here for Full Story & Video Link
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
36:34? HA! I could have taken him! 8)

(I'm sure he was just goofing around considering his 28:14 PR in the event.)

Looking for big things from him and the rest of the harriers this fall!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]