Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By redheadrunner
Registration Days Posts
There were several notable performances this past weekend that should be mentioned:

"Powell (Marianna, Fla.) used favorable winds to his advantage in the triple jump, reaching out to 50-6.25 to win the event and break Chad Wilson’s Liberty record. The freshman also qualified for the NCAA East Regional Championships in the process. "
>Good to see Clarence finally starting to hit some marks that show his real potential. If he can stay healthy he should make a great freshman run and possibly even make a showing at nationals this year!

"Senior Clendon Henderson (Meadow, Texas) starred Friday afternoon, producing a nation-leading 193-4 discus throw."
>Clendon not only hit this nation-leading throw, but he put three of his throws in which he fowled over 200 feet! That is three throws over his personal best which gave him the All-American Honor at Nationals last year! Clendon will be a shoe-in for Nationals and definitely a top finisher. This kind of throw this early into outdoor season is phenomenal!

"Andrea Beckles (Jr., Lynchburg, Va.) took advantage of a significant tailwind, equaling her career-best 100-meter dash time, 11.96, and comfortably winning the event."
>This is a great run for Beckles, especially considering she had nobody to run with. The tailwind was a definite contribution but I expect after she gets a few more outdoor 100 meter races under her belt this season she will be hitting 11 second 100 meters pretty consistently.

Looking ahead, it will be interesting to see what Brandon Hoskins and Daniel Newell can do this weekend in their first very competitive Decathalon of the year.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
That Leineweber kid didn't do too badly either. :wink:
Leineweber helped the Flames win both the first and last running events of the day by running legs on Liberty’s victorious 4 x 100 and 4 x 400 relay squads. Liberty’s 4 x 100 relay quartet ran 42.42 to nip Bridgewater. In the 4 x 400, the Flames broke the tape in 3:26.88.
In between, the Liberty junior posted dominating performances in the 200 and 400, qualifying for the IC4A Outdoor Track & Field Championships in both events. Leineweber’s 200-meter time was 21.65, and he posted a 48.27 for 400 meters.
http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm? ... 47&TeamID=

Keep up the good work. I'm sure you guys can't wait until the nasty winds of March and April subside. That backstretch can be a beast in the spring!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Brandon Hoskins just locked himself into the NCAA Nationals down in Austin this weekend and also passed the "B" qualifying standard for the United States Olympic Trials in the decathlon. Dan Newell provisionally qualified for NCAAs in the decathlon as well
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Was Texas Relays this past weekend? I'll bet Brandon was jazzed to score that well in front of family & friends home here in the Lone Star State.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Actually they started on Wednesday with the decathlon and finished the decathlon today (also Clendon Henderson and Jon Hart qualified for the East regionals in the hammer throw) We have two guys going Friday, Matt Parker (110 hurdles) and Clendon Henderson (Discus...he is already qualified for the East Regionals in hammer and discus and Jon Hart has the third best overall hammer throw this year which he did today in TX)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Texas Relays a huge event. On Saturday they have about 30k out for the fun. Congrats on the guys performing so well.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Henderson wins the discus Friday going 204-3 on his final throw (which also retakes the top spot in the nation this year) for a LU record, personal record AND Big South record. No word on how Matt Parker did yesterday. Also, Carol Jefferson won the 10K down at Duke.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is huge for Clendon! This is one of the biggest track events of the year and to take the title is highly impressive.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
At Duke, Sam won the 5k running unattached and Evans finished second. 5 LU runners in the top 8.

Flash Results, Inc.
2008 Duke Asics Invitational - 4/4/2008 to 4/5/2008
Wallace Wade Stadium -- Duke University
Durham, North Carolina

Event 39 Men 5000 Meter Run Section "A" Seeded
===============================================================
13:50 to 14:30
NCAA REG: 14:12.00
Name Year School Finals
===============================================================
Finals
1 Chelanga, Sam Unattached 13:55.12
2 Kigen, Evans Liberty 14:16.73
3 Ferrell, Brent Carboro AC 14:28.13
4 Kienzle, Ryan Malone 14:30.13
5 Jelen, Jarvis Liberty 14:30.47
6 Llano, Matt Richmond 14:36.30
7 Mcdougal, Jordan Liberty 14:42.56
8 Edmonds, Josh Liberty 14:43.03
9 Liebl, Greg North Dakota State 14:45.47
10 Thomas, Zach Virginia Tech 14:47.08
11 Samoei, Ken St Augustine 14:49.32
12 Stephenson, Jay Unattached 14:51.12
13 Johnson, Tyler Carboro AC 14:51.58
14 Clauss, Rider Virginia Tech 14:53.07
15 Dawson, Zach North Carolina 14:54.37
16 Flynn, Ricky Lynchburg 14:59.80
17 Newton, Chad Unattached 14:59.85
18 Baker, Brock North Carolina 15:01.01
19 Barrett, Sean US Marine Corp 15:07.55
20 Sjostrom, James Unattached 15:11.10
-- Lapenna, Paul Virginia Tech DNF
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
I can't wait to see Sam wearing an LU singlet next year! Let's also hope Evans gets a release and can run XC. Anyone know of any other Kenyans who are looking for a DI school to run for?
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Man, Clendon is really stepping things up. LU looks to make some noise on the national scene if things continue in this direction. It's a very exciting time to be an LU track fan!
By "R" i "
Registration Days Posts
Both of the decatholetes Brandon Hoskins and Daniel Newell had PRs this weekend in TEXAS.

Brandon quailfied for nationals with a score of 7800 his personal best by a couple hundred. Also qualifying him for the Olympic Trials.

Daniel hit a provisional national quailifier with 69##. He was very fast in the two speed events. with a 48.# in the 400 and a 10.## in the hundred.

Strong preformances for their first meet of the year.

NICE JOB GUYS.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
On a side note, I talked to one of my best friends today who happened to have done the trackside reporting for FSN's telecast of the Relays. As soon as he told me that he had worked the Relays I immediately asked him what his impressions were of our Liberty guys.

He told me he was just about to interview this discus guy from UCLA (who is a likely Olympian this summer) when Clendon stepped up and threw his record. Obviously the UCLA interview was dropped and my buddy grabbed Clendon for the television interview. Since my friend was familiar with LU thru me, he started off by asking Clendon if it was a miracle that the winds stopped blowing right as he threw his record-setting heave. Clendon answered in a fashion that represented both Liberty and his Lord in highest regard. My friend (who I am discipling from afar) told me that he felt the Holy Spirit's presence in Clendon and it ministered to him.

Just thought I'd share since my Texas sportscasting & LU worlds rarely collide.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Anyone know what Clendon tips the scales at? The T&F roster only lists heights, and says he is 6'1. If that is correct, judging by his pics, I don't think he weighs over 250 if that. He is generating some amazing power for his size to put it out as far as he does in both discus and shot.
By Lit Crit
Registration Days Posts
Pretty sure Clendon is around 240, up from 225 last year. He's been aiming at gaining weight this year and it seems to be doing well for him in discus, but mostly in shot where he has improved so much. He's also a pretty tall 6'1 if libertyflames.com is right.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
LU T&F is doing AMAZING! 204-3?!?!?!? holy CRAP!

although im sure it doesn't hurt that he's married to the track coach's daughter :D
(sportscritic, a-train and I went to school with her)
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
As expected, the men are making a mess out of the competition at the BSC meet. They will take a 47 point lead into day 3....without Josh McDougal.

By the way, Josh is scheduled to take on some serious competition at the Mt. SAC relays tonight at 9:15 Pacific...12:15 am on the east coast. The race will be carried live at http://www.flocasts.org./flotrack/cover ... &view=live This is a great opportunity to see Josh compete against the best (for all of you party animals who like to stay up late and for the rest of us who have to change diapers at that time).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Our men win easily with 232 points to 156 for second place Coastal. The ladies finish 3rd behind Coastal and CSU.

http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm? ... 8&TeamID=3

Why does Tolsma have 38 BSC coach of the year awards? Here's an example.......

We have the 2 best decathaletes in the conference in Hoskins and Newell. If they both compete in the decathalon, we get 18 points for first and second.

Instead, Tolsma enters Hoskins in 5 individual events on Friday and Saturday; the discus, javelon, 110 and 400 hurdles and the pole vault. He gets 2 seconds, 2 thirds and a 4th for 33 points, and it is almost as good as a decathalon in terms of his prep for the Eastern regionals, which he has already qualified for. Add the 10 points for Newell's decathalon win, and you have 43 team points instead 18.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Congrats to the men.

I am a little concerned about Josh, though. He finished the Mt. SAC 5000 in 13:3x, which is amazing, but it wasn't what he was going after. I stumbled across this interview following the race. http://www.flocasts.org./flotrack/cover ... 5&id=13314 I hope he gets his leg problem figured out before things really start to get serious in the next month or so.

By the way, I have finally reached 1,000 posts. :cheerleader I should probably feel bad about the amount of time wasted on here, but SuperJon now has 15,000 posts, which makes me feel like much less of a nerd. Big ups to you.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We ended up with 14 in the decathlon with Tarr finishing in 6th but that makes 47 points total just from those three guys.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Nice find on the video. But I admit I am confused over how much of this is a physiological problem. Clearly Josh is perplexed. The good news is that he is still improving despite his right leg issues.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Not trying to get all argumentative on the track board, but the thing that is perplexing him is that he isn't improving. He didn't fly out to Cali to finish 12th and run 15+ seconds off of his personal best. Someting is up with him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him. I just know that he is trying his best to get the leg thing figured out before the big meets this summer. We obviously all wish you the best, Josh (just in case you are still lurking from time to time).
By "R" i "
Registration Days Posts
John Talbert - Best High School Thrower in the country. Number One in Discuss and Number 3 in Hammer.

This Guy has signed his LOI to be a Falme, Thanks Henderson!
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

This right here. You think most of the out[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]