Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By redheadrunner
Registration Days Posts
"Liberty’s final victor on the men’s side was Evans Kigen (So., Eldoret, Kenya). After running to victory at 3,000 meters on Friday, Kigen took the 3,000-meter steeplechase crown on Saturday. He won the race by 10 seconds, in 9:06.27. Now the No. 4 all-time steeplechaser in Liberty history, Kigen earned a spot in the NCAA East Regional Championships."
See Story Here

Evans looks like a very promising and talented addition to the LU distance squad! With his 14:05.92 at Indoor IC4As and his strong debut in the Steeple this past weekend I predict that Evans will be someone to watch in the upcoming months. I have no doubt that next time Evans gives the Steeple another try he'll go under 9 minutes with ease. Watch out Liberty, here comes Evans Kigen!

p.s. Evans shows some unique style by even hurdling the barrier before the waterpit! And he is smooth at doing it!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
To be honest, I hadn't heard much about Evans until I saw the results the other day. I get the feeling we are becoming a bit of a mecca for distance runners. I'm anxious to see what he can do this spring with all of our other DX guys.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
You beat me to posting this topic. (See my thread in the Courtyard about diapers.)

I would love to know this kid's story. Where was he during XC? I spent a lot of time in the fall going over things for the team and I either missed something or he wasn't around/eligible for the season. Either way, things are looking good for him and the rest of the team this spring...shoot, even the fall looks good.
Even though Josh will be recovering from Bejing and probably training for his first marathon (complete speculation), the guys left on the mountain should be holding it down. Sam Chelenga, Jordan McD, Evans, and Josh Edmonds make up a pretty decent core. Who knows what Coach Tolsma has up his sleeve for the rest of the team. (Too bad Josh can't give it one more go-around in a LU jersey!)
By redheadrunner
Registration Days Posts
Evans is new at LU this semester. He is a transfer sophomore from NYIT (Division II) and he is originally from Eldoret, Kenya. NYIT does not have Track and Field, only Cross Country in which Evans finished 8th at Nationals last year in D. II receiving All-American honors. He has run the 8k in 26:23 and the 10k in 30:30. He is a definite rising talent, pray that NYIT doesn't force him to sit out of this fall's cross-country season. Only time will tell, but I agree with the statement "LU = Mecca for distance runners", may it continue to be!
By redheadrunner
Registration Days Posts
Men 1500 Meter Run
================================================================
Name Year School Finals
================================================================
1 Guglielmo, Kyle Virginia Tech 4:02.09
2 Wray, Travis Lynchburg 4:02.39
3 Kigen, Evans Liberty Universi 4:06.97
4 Van Astine, Ryan Lynchburg 4:08.37
5 Berry, Vance Washington & Lee 4:12.52

It looks like Evans has some decent speed. He has been working mostly distance and hardly any speed and I have little doubt that he could run two consecutive 4:20 1500m over barriers and with some decent competition.

"Kigen (So., Eldoret, Kenya) cruised to first place in his Liberty outdoor track debut. His 8:35.09 clocking for 3,000 meters left him nearly seven seconds in front of his nearest competitor."

By the end of the season I see him running close to this time in the Steeplechase. Keep watching Kigen!!!
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
redheadrunner wrote:Evans is new at LU this semester. He is a transfer sophomore from NYIT (Division II) and he is originally from Eldoret, Kenya. NYIT does not have Track and Field, only Cross Country in which Evans finished 8th at Nationals last year in D. II receiving All-American honors. He has run the 8k in 26:23 and the 10k in 30:30. He is a definite rising talent, pray that NYIT doesn't force him to sit out of this fall's cross-country season. Only time will tell, but I agree with the statement "LU = Mecca for distance runners", may it continue to be!
Any word if Evans has been released to run this fall?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I haven't heard Evan's name mentioned at all since outdoor track last year. He is still on the roster at the SID site. Anyone know if he is injured? Possibly redshirting?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Evans is being redshirted this year. I have to tip my hat to Tolsma for having the long range vision and cojones to do something like this with a stud runner who was a national qualifier last year. Looks like he is setting us up for a really powerhouse CC team in the next couple of years.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ive yet to see a bad decision made by Coach Tolsma. The men's track and cross coutry teams have really dominated and the women's team did pretty well until the last few years with CCU picking it up.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Evans is being redshirted this year. I have to tip my hat to Tolsma for having the long range vision and cojones to do something like this with a stud runner who was a national qualifier last year. Looks like he is setting us up for a really powerhouse CC team in the next couple of years.
Thank you for posting this. I've got nothing in the way of inside information right now and this makes me feel much better about the fall.
By flames1971
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:
olldflame wrote:Evans is being redshirted this year. I have to tip my hat to Tolsma for having the long range vision and cojones to do something like this with a stud runner who was a national qualifier last year. Looks like he is setting us up for a really powerhouse CC team in the next couple of years.
Thank you for posting this. I've got nothing in the way of inside information right now and this makes me feel much better about the fall.
Same here. GO FLAMES!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]