Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Congrats, Sammy!
LetsRun.com wrote:Four-Time NCAA Champion Sam Chelanga Became A U.S. Citizen Today

By Jonathan Gault
August 14, 2015

Sam Chelanga, who won four NCAA titles at Liberty University from 2008 to 2011 and set the collegiate record in the 10,000 meters, became a U.S. citizen today at the Evo A. DeConcini U.S. Courthouse in Tucson, Ariz. Chelanga, 30, moved to the United States from Kenya in September 2006 and is now eligible to represent the United States in international competition, including next summer’s Olympic Games in Rio.

“I love America a lot,” Chelanga said on the phone from Arizona. “[Becoming an American] is everything to me. I live in America and my [son] is American. I pay taxes, but I can do more than that as an athlete. And with citizenship that can become a reality.”
Click Here for Full Story
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If Sam is healthy for the trials, he should become Liberty´s first Olympian, whether it is in the 10,000 meters or the marathon. I think the consensus in the running world is that his best event, and best opportunity for a medal, would be the marathon, but he seems reluctant to move up. He has the 3rd fastest 10,000 of any American, but one of those who has run faster is Jalen Rupp, whose status is questionable.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
I've been waiting for a long time to hear this great news! Sam has been dealing with some injuries over the past year which has probably been the main factor in him not attempting a marathon. His 1/2 time predicts a pretty competitive marathon, but barring anything crazy, he's got a GREAT chance of qualifying in the 10,000 next summer in Eugene.
Galen Rupp does have a cloud hanging over him right now due to the drug allegations against his coach, Alberto Salazar. Apparently some really big news is going to drop really soon which could play a huge role in the dynamics of USATF as well as the international track world.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It has been a long and hard road for citizenship for Sam. But then again, if there is one thing he has proven he can conquer it is long and hard roads.

And who knew that it would be so advantageous for Sam to be on the mountain and away from Oregon back in the day?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The AC guys take on Sam becoming a citizen.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 40&TeamID=

One thing I noticed is that the Marathon trials are held in Feb. while the 10,000m, along with pretty much all the other T&F events) is not til July, so there is no real reason he can´t compete in both trials. If he made the team in both I assume he would have to choose, although with the marathon traditioinally being the last event, I suppose a double is possible
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With his relative lack of marathon experience, it would be quite the task for him to qualify for Rio at that distance and nearly impossible to medal if he did earn a trip.

At 10k it is a completely different story.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:With his relative lack of marathon experience, it would be quite the task for him to qualify for Rio at that distance and nearly impossible to medal if he did earn a trip.

While it would seem a lack of experience at the distance would work against him, a lot of people who know what he can do think Sam is made to order for the marathon, including Liberty´s own Josh Cox, who I believe said something to the effect that ¨Sam has the best motor out there¨.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A great follow-up story to his citizenship answers many of our questions in this thread ...
Runners World wrote:New U.S. Citizen Sam Chelanga Eyes 2016 Olympics
Kenyan native has run 27:08 for 10K.

By Peter Gambaccini
THURSDAY, AUGUST 20, 2015, 1:08 PM

Sam Chelanga en route to placing fourth at the Falmouth Road Race on August 16, 2015. He ran the race less than 48 hours after becoming a U.S. citizen. PHOTO BY PHOTORUN

Sam Chelanga, a Kenyan-born distance runner who holds the NCAA 10,000-meter record of 27:08.49, became a United States citizen in Tucson last Friday. He's now a favorite to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team in the 10,000, but he may decide to enter February’s Olympic Marathon Trials.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:With his relative lack of marathon experience, it would be quite the task for him to qualify for Rio at that distance and nearly impossible to medal if he did earn a trip.

I'm not sure that I'm totally on board with this. He has never possessed a great kick. The Olympic 10,000m final is always a jog-fest for the first few miles followed by a slow wind up into an all-out sprint for the last 500-600 meters.
On the other hand, there are no pacers in the Olympic marathon, which means the fastest guys who usually run sub-2:05 don't have people in front of them to ensure a super-fast pace. That has the potential to leave the door open for a guy who runs a smart race to hang around and end up in contention for a bronze in the final miles. Meb did this 3 years ago and he ended up in 4th, even though his PR was almost 6 minutes slower than several of the guys who ended up behind him.

If I were coaching Sam, I'd get him a qualifying time for the marathon trials and see what happens in LA.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Jr. & I had a great time cheering on Josh Cox at the last Olympic Marathon Trials. We'd love to see Sam headed to Brazil. Do you think he has been intentionally flying under the radar by not running marathons?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In the 10,000 Sam would need to run his own race, which would almost certainly mean taking the lead and setting a fast pace. Then the guys with finishing speed would be forced to decide whether to stay close and burn off some of their kick or hold back and maintain their own pace and take the chance he might get too far ahead to catch.

Personally, I hope he runs in the marathon trials to see what he is capable of at that distance. If he isn´t happy with the results he can still run in the 10,000 trials.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Sly Jr. & I had a great time cheering on Josh Cox at the last Olympic Marathon Trials. We'd love to see Sam headed to Brazil. Do you think he has been intentionally flying under the radar by not running marathons?
My guess is that he planned on running a marathon at some point in the last year, but his plans changed due to his injuries. That's total speculation, but it's what I would have done with him if I were in his camp.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:In the 10,000 Sam would need to run his own race, which would almost certainly mean taking the lead and setting a fast pace. Then the guys with finishing speed would be forced to decide whether to stay close and burn off some of their kick or hold back and maintain their own pace and take the chance he might get too far ahead to catch.

Personally, I hope he runs in the marathon trials to see what he is capable of at that distance. If he isn´t happy with the results he can still run in the 10,000 trials.
You are right on. I'm sure he'll run on the track in July if things don't work out in LA.

The marathon is a giant question mark for him since he's never attempted the distance. His half marathon pr would put him right in the mix with the top few guys in the country. Depending on how he bounces back and what his qualifying half looks like, I'd expect him to be talked about as one of the favorites to contend for a spot.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Very cool update including details of his victory at the USATF 10-Mile Championship earlier this month:
WaPo wrote:For runner Sam Chelanga, becoming a U.S. citizen was one of best finish lines he’s crossed

By Kelyn Soong November 13 at 1:24 PM

Just seconds after Sam Chelanga crossed the finish line to win the USA Track and Field 10-Mile Championships early last month in Minneapolis-St. Paul, a race official sprinted over to drape a large American flag over his shoulders. Chelanga paused to catch his breath before wrapping the flag around his body, where it would stay for long after the race.

Elite champions are often handed their country’s flag. But for Chelanga, the scene symbolized much more. He had just become a naturalized U.S. citizen in August – a process that took five years, and it was the Kenya native’s first title as an American.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Meb, Ritz & Rupp are the three clear favorites to get the three Olympic bids. But nearly every story I have seen that has listed the other contenders names Sam as the one that most consider to be the biggest threat to those guys.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Tonight in the 10k Qualifier, Sam finished 6th meaning that he will not qualify to compete in Rio. His old rival Rupp won the trials like he did in the marathon.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Tough break for Sam...he was outside of the top 10 much of the race and couldn't quite rally back at the end. Guess its time to prepare for London 2017 now
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:He still has an outside shot at the 5k. But he'll have to run the race of his life.
It's definately a long shot 10k is his better distance If I recall however, he lost the 10k one year in the NCAA indoors and then came back to win the 5k This will be a lot tougher
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]