Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
I'll add more to this later, but I figured I'd remind everyone that the men's 10K national championship race will begin at 12:48 p.m. on Nov. 22 and will be video streamed live on NCAA.com. Sam and Evans will be Liberty's only representatives, but figure to make seriousl noise once again this year.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Am I out of mind to suggest the possibility of two Top-5 finishes? We all expect greatness from Sam and Evans is positioning himself well to make some noise of his own.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Two in the top ten would be an unbelieveable day for LU. It is nuts to think that we are even having this discussion. I think a lot of this depends on if the top 10 guys are willing to be stupid enough to try to go with Sam. If they do, Evans should just hang back and step over the carnage that is left on the last 2 miles of the course.

If our numbers 4-5 guys hadn't been out sick at regionals, we would have had a team in Indiana on Monday. They must be bummed beyond belief.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:You do realize the meet is not til Monday, don't you?
We have a winner! Study
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Now I do;)

WOW - I should of know that - it normally is, but for some reason I thought it was today.

Thanks!
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Terre Haute paper ranks LU's individual victories in 2007 and 2009 as the #1 and #5 moments in NCAA XC history.
Liberty senior Josh McDougal and Rupp, a junior who has since gone on to run for the U.S. Olympic team, had a battle to remember. The duo also had to contend with another future U.S. Olympian, Lopez Lomong, whom they left behind prior to engaging in a runner’s duel to remember.

Earlier this week, Liberty coach Brant Tolsma recalled the key points of the race.

“Josh had about 10 or 15 meters on Galen,” Tolsma said. “Galen caught him and tried to pass him right as they hit that long, home stretch.

“It was one of the most epic battles. They were just beating each other up for 500 meters. Then you could see Josh just pick up his tempo, arms flailing everywhere. It was 30 meters from the finish before I think Galen knew he was going to lose.”

McDougal collapsed after crossing the finish line, taking a title away from Rupp, who still helped the Ducks accomplish their goal of a national championship.

“Coming back up on him was a big boost mentally,” Rupp said. “Right when I caught him, I tried to pick it upand bury him there. He did a great job of hanging on.”

Tolsma enjoys looking at it as a Cinderella story for the small school.

“We kind of spoiled the perfect day for Oregon, which means for Nike as well. Even [Nike co-founder] Phil Knight was at the race. To win that team title was huge for them, but they would have loved to have both,” Tolsma said.

Rupp proved his mettle in 2008, leading the Ducks to a second straight team title and securing the individual title in his final collegiate cross country race.

Rupp had the chance to defeat a Liberty runner, Kenyan-born Sam Chelanga.

Chelanga set the pace with a 4-minute, 24-second opening mile, but Rupp gradually pulled him in.

Rupp eventually pulled ahead with about 10 meters to go, learning from the race the year before.

“I caught back up to Josh heading into that straightaway. The first instinct when you see that finish line is to start sprinting, you know ‘go to the line,’ but I was patient [this year],” Rupp said. “When I made my move, I made sure it was decisive and I would be able to hold it all the way through.”

Oregon coach Vin Lananna, exclaimed that “Oregon distance is back,” following the second straight win.

The McDougal-Rupp battle was “epic,” Tolsma said.

ISU’s John McNichols, who helped bring the LaVern Gibson Course to reality in Terre Haute, said recently it may have been one of the great moments in American distance running.

“That McDougal-Rupp duel down the straightaway — well the whole race — with the whole crowd backed away so they could watch the thing,” McNichols said. “It was one of the more dramatic moments in racing history for our country.”
5. Sam Chelanga gives Liberty a second individual championship

In 2009, Chelanga gave tiny Liberty University — a private Christian university in Lynchburg, Va. — a second individual cross country champion in the span of three years, and Chelanga appears to be the favorite to join Bairu as repeat NCAA champions in Terre Haute.

Chelanga ran a 10K-course record of 28:41.30. Second-place David McNeill of Northern Arizona finished in 29:06.5, and Chris Derrick of Stanford was third in 29:14.8.
http://tribstar.com/sports/x970730409/O ... erre-Haute
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I noticed the tiny thing too. People don't have a clue.

Oregon has 16,000 undergrad students. We have what.........11,000? but when you add DL we are bigger than they are. (Not better funded though).
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
According to the announcers its a very windy day...itll be interesting to see how that affects race strategy
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
My stomach is in knots...

This wind is going to cause issues. anytime you change variables - that's better for everyone else...
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]