Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It's late tonight. The meet is in California, and the 10k Sam is in is like the last event, with a world class field. Starting time is 9:45 PM there, 12:45 AM here. There are several other LU athletes running during the course of the day.
By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
Thanks! I'm just getting home and settled from being at the baseball game tonight (then Dairy Queen with the family) and I was just wondering.
By Lit Crit
Registration Days Posts
Sam shatters the collegiate record, running 27:08.39! He was also 5 seconds under the former American record, which was bested tonight by Chris Solinsky, the winner of the race. Congrats Sam!
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Holy smokes! I can't believe I went to bed before the race started! GAH!

Here's the replay http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage ... 854/331184

By the way, former Wisconsin runner, Chris Solinski, shattered the American record and became the first white guy to run under 27:00. Oh, and Sam beat Galen Rupp...finally.

Congrats, Sam!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
From the SIDs ...
LibertyFlames.com wrote:Chelanga Shatters Own NCAA 10K Record

Sam Chelanga poses with the clock after setting a new collegiate 10K record at the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational. (Photo by David Williams)

May 1, 2010
Stanford, Calif.

Sam Chelanga punctuated Liberty’s extremely successful showing at the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational in a major way, Saturday evening at Cobb Track and Angell Field. The redshirt junior shaved 20 seconds off of his own collegiate 10K record with a blazing 27:08.39 effort, marking the most impressive of the Flames’ three school-record performances at the meet.

In addition to Chelanga’s record-breaking run, Liberty redshirt seniors Jaime Watson and Ashley Osborne broke the school and Big South Conference records in the women’s 800 and 10K, respectively. In total, seven Flames and Lady Flames competed in the meet known for its strong mid-distance and distance races, and all seven came away with season-best times.
Click Here for Full Story
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like Sam is enjoying his summer up where the sun never sets .. just circles the sky.
Anchorage Daily News wrote:Chelanga, Waythomas scorch Alaska 10-K Classic course
IN A HURRY: Winners clock race's fastest times in more than two decades.

By MIKE CAMPBELL
mcampbell@adn.com
Published: August 7th, 2010 10:36 PM
Last Modified: August 7th, 2010 11:27 PM

Runners zipped across Anchorage on Saturday morning faster than anyone on foot has in more than 20 years.

Not since the mid-1980s have racers posted sub-30 minute times in the Alaska 10-K Classic, one of the state's oldest and fastest 10 kilometer races. But on a cool and cloudy morning, visiting runners Sam Chelanga, the NCAA 10-K record holder from Liberty University, and Mike Reneau, a 2:16 marathoner from Wisconsin, staged a fierce duel on city streets and bike paths from Alaska Pacific University to the Delaney Park Strip.

Chelanga prevailed in 30:07 -- just 7 seconds clear of Reneau.
One other nugget later in the story ...
Chelanga is in Anchorage for a few weeks visiting with Liberty teammate Ryan Cox, who finished fourth Saturday.
Click Here for Full Story
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
dude is a friggin' beast.

Cox too.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Someone posted a picture of him from this race on Facebook. He was wearing a big, flappy t-shirt and trainers. I REALLY wish I could do that!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]