Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JCox
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
JCox wrote:In running, you want to beat the guy mentally, if you can do that, you don't have to beat him physically. I'm sure Derrick is in shock at the lead Sam has built, he'll make a charge these last few K's but because he is running with two other guys, he is no doubt thinking about the team score for his Stanford sqad.
Did you see the Stanford coach's interview before the race? He kind of said he didn't care if Derrick won the championship. I think he kind of caught himself, but if I'm a top tier runner in high school, I don't know if I want to run for that guy.
Yeah, I saw that. I'm sure he was just trying to deflect pressure on his star athlete... but a poor choice of words nonetheless.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
By JCox
Registration Days Posts
Sam's performance will go down as one of the best individual performances in the history of the NCAA Championships.

If Sam would have had company, a tall order considering he is the NCAA record holder at 10,000, he could have followed up his 14:09 with a 14:15.

Derrick said he thought Sam's opening 14:09 was suicide, for everyone else in the field it would have been but Sam is on a different level.

He's the biggest talent to run in the NCAA - ever. When he has his "A" game no one can run with him. At the time of his 27:28 last year at Cal (not Stanford - like Larry mentioned), he had the fastest time on the planet. Not college, not Kenya, but every living person walking the globe.

His strength is his strength. I trained with his brother Joshua, winner of the Rotterdam marathon. Sam is bigger talent. The longer the better for Sam. With the right training he can go under 27 for 10,000.

Congrats Sam. The first of many.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's what I was looking for. It is tough to really get a feel for these types of lengths for most of us. Hopefully there is no incentive for him to leave school early. I am guessing since Rupp stuck around for hsi senior year that Sammy would as well.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This is my status on facebook after the race "Today I am thankful for Sam Chelanga...NCAA Cross Country NATIONAL CHAMPION!!!"
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
JCox wrote:Sam's performance will go down as one of the best individual performances in the history of the NCAA Championships.

If Sam would have had company, a tall order considering he is the NCAA record holder at 10,000, he could have followed up his 14:09 with a 14:15.

Derrick said he thought Sam's opening 14:09 was suicide, for everyone else in the field it would have been but Sam is on a different level.

He's the biggest talent to run in the NCAA - ever. When he has his "A" game no one can run with him. At the time of his 27:28 last year at Cal (not Stanford - like Larry mentioned), he had the fastest time on the planet. Not college, not Kenya, but every living person walking the globe.

His strength is his strength. I trained with his brother Joshua, winner of the Rotterdam marathon. Sam is bigger talent. The longer the better for Sam. With the right training he can go under 27 for 10,000.

Congrats Sam. The first of many.
Wow, I knew he was good but had no idea it was at this level! With that said can we expect to see him in the Olympics?
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:This is my status on facebook after the race "Today I am thankful for Sam Chelanga...NCAA Cross Country NATIONAL CHAMPION!!!"

Ummm....Thanks Beej
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
lol...sorry if that isnt your cup of tea HMO but Im just excited and I figured itd be a way to share of this wonderful development with those who didnt/couldnt watch. After Saturday, this was a good bit of news.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
It may well be...but you gotta be thankful we have somebody that amazing wearing our colors. I remember watching the Big South meet when it was at LU and seeing him dominate that race was mind blowing...and now to see him beat a field like this at nationals the same way...what else can you say that hasnt already been said
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:That's what I was looking for. It is tough to really get a feel for these types of lengths for most of us. Hopefully there is no incentive for him to leave school early. I am guessing since Rupp stuck around for hsi senior year that Sammy would as well.
Not many runners leave early...I think he will be back to defend his title.

This is a huge stage!! To do what Liberty is doing is unheard of - Let's think about this:
2009 - Sam wins
2008 - Sam finishes second
2007 - McDougal wins

And Sam will be favored (this time) to win again in 2010. Could be 3 National Championships in 3 years!! Coach Tolsma - How do you top this?

Did you know? Sam beat McDougal in the 2006 race? Sam finished 16th and McDougal finished 27th. He ran for Fairleigh Dickinson at the time.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I was talking to matshark after the race and you have to think Coach Tolsma has to be (if he isnt already) considered one of the best XC/Track Coaches in America. Coached two of the past three XC national champions and a host of all-americans
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]