Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Our #3 guy was also being redshirted this year. He's going to be back next year to go along with Sam and Evans. With him, we likely would've been able to take the entire team to nationals, which is the goal for next year.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Our #3 guy was also being redshirted this year. He's going to be back next year to go along with Sam and Evans. With him, we likely would've been able to take the entire team to nationals, which is the goal for next year.
That would be awesome!! We need 2 stud freshman to come in... Why wouldn't you want to run at Liberty????
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
SuperJon wrote:Our #3 guy was also being redshirted this year. He's going to be back next year to go along with Sam and Evans. With him, we likely would've been able to take the entire team to nationals, which is the goal for next year.
That would be awesome!! We need 2 stud freshman to come in... Why wouldn't you want to run at Liberty????
They're also getting a building that will house their offices and their own locker rooms, something they haven't had.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
prototype wrote:
They're also getting a building that will house their offices and their own locker rooms, something they haven't had.
Tolsma and his staff have certainly proven the last few years that they can take top notch running talent and help them become elite champions. With facility upgrades coming, there's no reason the talent shouldn't continue to come
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I was talking to matshark after the race and you have to think Coach Tolsma has to be (if he isnt already) considered one of the best XC/Track Coaches in America. Coached two of the past three XC national champions and a host of all-americans

Tolsma could coach at any University in America!! I'm just thankful that he believes in Liberty and I don't see him ever leaving, until he's ready to retire. Best Coach at Liberty...Hands Down!!! Got great assistants too!! I think that is a testament to Tolsma too!!!
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Oh, man! What a day! I followed online today, but FF is blocked, so I didn't get a chance to post anything. Josh said it, but it is worth saying again- This was one of the most dominating performances in the history of the NCAA. The little dude can flat out motor. Look for him to add at least 2 more national titles to his resume by the end of outdoor track.

Congrats, Sam!
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Inspired by NCAA National Champions Josh McDougal & Sam Chelanga
Nice work on the quick forum description update, Sly (I assume it was you, anyway).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
01LUGrad wrote:
Inspired by NCAA National Champions Josh McDougal & Sam Chelanga
Nice work on the quick forum description update, Sly (I assume it was you, anyway).
Thanks for noticing, 01LUGrad.

Heather was great but I don't think she has inspired much discussion around here.
By dbackjon
Registration Days Posts
Congrats to Sam! He ran a dominating race.

A National Championship is something to be very proud of.

NAU men did well for themselves - David McNeill was 2nd, Jordan Chipangama was 5th. NAU finished 4th overall, third straight top 10 finish, 2nd 4th place in three years.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Look for LU to make some serious noise next year. Sam, Evans, and Josh Edmonds are a seriously tough top 3. I'm out of eligibility, so we need a couple of other guys to step up and pull the team to nats next season. :wink:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If you didn't see it live, here's Sam's run on YouTube:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Writeup from Terre Haute fishwrap ...
Terre haute (IN) Tribune Star wrote:Liberty senior Sam Chelanga takes drama out of men's individual race with course record 28:41.30
By Craig Pearson
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — The Oklahoma State men’s cross country team has been running in tight packs all season long.
Here is part about Sam ...
Sam Chelanga took the drama out of the individual race, shattering the 10,000-meter course record set when Galen Rupp of Oregon outkicked Chelanga to the line in 2008. Chelanga ran a time of 28:41.30 to break Rupp’s mark of 29:03.2

Chelanga, a Kenyan native and senior for Liberty University, pulled away from the pack after leading it to a 4:54 opening mile on the first of two 5,000-meter laps of the LaVern Gibson Championship Course. Chelanga has sprinted out to opening miles under 4:30 before in Terre Haute, so this was his conservative race plan.

“I was hoping to run my last mile faster than my first mile,” Chelanga said afterward.
Click here for Full Story
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Writeup from Terre Haute fishwrap ...
Terre haute (IN) Tribune Star wrote:Liberty senior Sam Chelanga takes drama out of men's individual race with course record 28:41.30
By Craig Pearson
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — The Oklahoma State men’s cross country team has been running in tight packs all season long.
Here is part about Sam ...
Sam Chelanga took the drama out of the individual race, shattering the 10,000-meter course record set when Galen Rupp of Oregon outkicked Chelanga to the line in 2008. Chelanga ran a time of 28:41.30 to break Rupp’s mark of 29:03.2

Chelanga, a Kenyan native and senior for Liberty University, pulled away from the pack after leading it to a 4:54 opening mile on the first of two 5,000-meter laps of the LaVern Gibson Championship Course. Chelanga has sprinted out to opening miles under 4:30 before in Terre Haute, so this was his conservative race plan.

“I was hoping to run my last mile faster than my first mile,” Chelanga said afterward.
Click here for Full Story
Thankfully, the part about him being a Senior is WRONG!
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
The other part that is wrong is his time for the first mile. It was 4:21, not 4:54. He would have been in last place had he gone out that slowly.

Reporting Fail
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
100% chance of TV face time if you did wave the flag. I say we nominate Mallet to do it since he loves the sport so much.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Josh Cox's post just got read in convo....
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]