Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Runners World wrote:It's Galen Rupp vs. Sam Chelanga Again, This Time at 5000 Meters in Arkansas.
The University of Oregon's Rupp and Liberty University's Chelanga dueled furiously at the NCAA Cross Country Championships last fall, with Rupp ultimately coming out on top. Now the two will meet up in a 5000-meter race Friday night at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville. The listed collegiate indoor best is a 13:20.4 by UTEP's Suleiman Nyambui back in 1981; that mark could be vulnerable. Of course, the entire show could be stolen by Ethiopia's Bekana Daba, who has a 5000-meter best of 13:04 from 2008.
Click Here for Full Story
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Gah, you beat me to it. The race will be aired on ESPN on Sunday. Something tells me we will want to see the replay of this one! Rupp is about as hyped as you can get in the running community right now (rightfully so...he is an Olympian and the NCAA XC champion), but I have a feeling Sam may make this a race. Boy, it is a lot of fun to have another contender wearing a LU singlet!

Go Sam!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I figured you might be one of the handful to appreciate this thread.

:lol:
By Stevewalt
Registration Days Posts
Do you know what time on ESPN?
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Stevewalt wrote:Do you know what time on ESPN?
The meet is scheduled to air at 5:00 on ESPN. There's no way of knowing exactly when they will show Sam's race.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
This one will be worth a watch on Sunday! Sam was a close 3rd behind a pro and Galen. Both he and Rupp went under the previous NCAA record for 5,000m! Sam in at 13:19. Amazing!

Update: Rupp's time was not only a collegiate record, but an American record for the indoor 5k. (Sam was right on his heels)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here's the recap with Sam in the pic ...
IIAF wrote:Rupp breaks 5000m U.S. record, Solomon takes down 300m mark in Fayetteville

Ethiopian Bekana Daba (l) and Galen Rupp in the Fayetteville 5000m (Kirby Lee)
relnews

Fayetteville, USA - National records by Americans Galen Rupp in the 5000m and Shalonda Solomon in the women’s 300m along with four world-leading efforts highlighted the 10th Tyson Invitational at the Randal Tyson Track Center at the University of Arkansas on Friday (13) night.
Click Here for Full Story
By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
I'm watching it right now :)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Me too. Man, Strange to see how many runners are lapped. I guess because it's a 220 meter track.
By bozlady
Registration Days Posts
Yea, that's what I was thinking. I looked down at my keyboard for a second, look up and out of nowhere there was a guy from Arkansas and then it dawned on me that he was the tail end....poor guy. But yay for Chelanga!!
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Me too. Man, Strange to see how many runners are lapped. I guess because it's a 220 meter track.
Two things:
1. You are old! It's a 200 meter track...you must be thinking of the dark ages when tracks were cinder and measured by yards.
2. I know the feeling of being lapped by fast guys. Not fun at all.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I don't deny it but proudly proclaim it (being old). It certainly beats the alternative! :wink:

The last time I ran anything that was measured, it was in yards, not meters.
By scuzdriver
Registration Days Posts
I just happened on to that race. Nice! Good to see LU represented on the national scene. Great race!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have a feeling we are about to witness some amazing things from Sam over the next couple of years with him wearing our colors. This kid is special and getting better so fast he has the entire distance world in awe.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]