Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Here we go again!

Sam is poised to make a run at a second consecutive Liberty victory in arguably the sport's most competitive race. The race will be streamed live at NCAA.com (I'll post a link as soon as it is available). If you didn't get a chance to watch last year as Josh won in all-guts fashion, here's the link. If weren't excited watching the last few minutes live, you didn't have a pulse.

http://all-access.cstv.com/cstv/player/ ... edia=50328
*Note: It does require a username and password to watch, but it is free and only takes a minute to fill out.

I'll post more as Monday approaches. If you want to read what all of the running nerds are saying, here are a couple forum threads from letsrun.com.

Rupp vs. Chelanga Strategy http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... 343&page=0
Rupp Poised to Crush Chelenga http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ad=2763602
Last edited by 01LUGrad on November 18th, 2008, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am seriously jazzed about this race.

If Josh McDougal is lurking, now that you are not longer a student you should feel free to weigh in on Sam's chances in Terre Haute. And the same goes for our other high profile, Josh.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully, CBS College Sports will show it again this year. Last year's race (and race thread) was one of the most exciting we've had.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If Sam has a "normal" run, based on form this year the finish won't be as close or exciting as last year's thriller. He has not just won every race, he has been dominant. Having said that, Galen Rupp proved in the Olympic trials he can come up with a great run under pressure, so Sam will need to be ready to compete.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If you read the threads from the runner geeks that 01 posted, it would indicate that most think this will be a 3-man race with Sam & Rupp likely upfront of the freshman.

Sam's progress this year has blown the entire running community away. They can't seem to figure out how he went from very good to amazing so fast.
By Stevewalt
Registration Days Posts
It will be on CBS college sports tv (CSTV) on Monday 11/24 at 12:00 pm

And on a side note let me say something about last years Champ:
Josh is an awesome person and is a real role model for not only his peers but all Christians. My nephew is the FCA President of his high school in PA and he contacted Josh to be a speaker and outreach to his high school. Kyle has a real heart to reach those in his high school for Christ. One more reason we need christians in public schools but I digress and not meant to start the home school/christian school vs public school debate. Josh was not only happy to come down but to talk to his CC team and take pictures and share his beliefs and thoughts with those young men and coaches. Some of these young men know nothing of Christ other than the swear words they use and to see a person who excells at what they do and to see Christ emulated through him was unexplainable. I know of at least one young man who started asking questions and going to church after meeting Josh and his remarkable life. It is not everyday you see someone living what they say when the lights aren't on them but I have to say Josh does. And I know my 2 oldest nephews both have a new person to look up to thanks to his testimony. God Bless him in whatever he chooses to do.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
USA Today wrote:Last year's cross country champ lends a helping hand this season

By Dick Patrick, USA TODAY

LYNCHBURG, Va. — When Josh McDougal won the NCAA cross country title last year, he credited an assist to Liberty teammate Sam Chelanga, who was ineligible while in a transfer year but was his main training partner.

"He really helped prepare me to win nationals," said McDougal, who has graduated.

McDougal, who edged Oregon's Galen Rupp in a stirring stretch duel a year ago, is now trying to return the favor for Monday's championships in Terre Haute, Ind. Though he hasn't trained with Chelanga this season while recovering from an injury, McDougal has been strategically preparing his friend for a duel with Rupp, a senior and 2008 Olympian seeking his first NCAA individual title and Oregon's first in the sport since 1978.

"Sam and Galen is going to be a great race," McDougal said. "I know Sam better than anyone. I know Galen as good as anyone. I don't think you can predict the winner. I think it's going to be an amazing race to watch."
Click Here for Full Story
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Rupp is going to be tough to beat. He ran under 28 at the West Regional, although it was a short course (85-150 meters by most reports), that is still an astounding time. We're talking the fastest cross country 10k in collegiate history. We should keep in mind that his race was run on a golf course that was flat enough for most observers to call it a track meet. That doesn't take away from the fact that he is in incredible shape right now. It is going to take a heck of a race by Sam to beat this guy.

That being said, he is beatable. If there is anyone out there who can do it, my money is on Sam.

By the way, here are my two favorite pictures of Galen Rupp.

A little ribbing is okay, right?

But seriously, this one's my favorite.

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I would say that first pic really puts the "gay" in Galen. :roll:

I never get tired of seeing that second one. It was so long coming and so well deserved.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
If you are hungry for updates like myself, the guys at flotrack always do updates throughout the weekend just for you. The one from today includes a bit of an Indiana snow shower. I hope Sam and Jordan pack their gloves!

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage ... mpionships

Here's a link to the live feed for Monday:
http://all-access.cbssports.com/player. ... edia=92045
Last edited by 01LUGrad on November 24th, 2008, 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
By JCox
Registration Days Posts
I'm stoked for tomorrow's race.

Sam sent me a text, he seems to be handling the pressure well.

Here's a link to Sam's interview with Ryan @ Flotrack:

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage ... ty-prerace

Our group has the morning off tomorrow, so I'll be hanging out watching our boy.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
It's race day! I won't be on here as I have this whole teaching thing I'm supposed to be doing, but I have lunch during the last 20 minutes of the race, so you can bet I'll be following from my firewall prison.

The men's race starts at 12:48 and will be carried live here: http://all-access.cbssports.com/player. ... edia=92045.

Good luck to Sam and Jordan! Prayers will be heading up from Chesapeake!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Go Sam...BEAT OREGON
(on a side note, how cool is it to say that and know there is an extremely legitimate chance against a major school)
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I am watching here on the CBS network - they mentioned Sam as one of the contenders
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Looks like a rather cool, blustery, misty day there today.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I cant get the video to work. it says that our school code isnt in the database or some such thing
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Its just the girls running right now.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm at GulfTX's house where he has CSTV. It looks cold & damp there today.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I cant get the video to work. it says that our school code isnt in the database or some such thing
Here at my job it says I have to download something called Microsoft Silverlight to play it. Forget about that, I can't install anything myself here IT has to do it. :banghead
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Texas Tech girl is about to win her 3rd straight women's title.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]